Static 'Crack' sound

Soldato
Hi there

Not even sure how to explain this so am unsure if help can be had, but here goes.

About a week ago with no updates or any changes being made to my PC, a sound bug has started.
It seems to me that every time a sound making thing loses focus, so maybe a YouTube Tab being minimized for too long, or Windows Media Player being paused too long, when I then go back to that thing and it needs to make sound again, it starts with a very loud and sudden CRACK sound.

Here's what I have tried.
1) Updated Windows and Realtek Audio Drivers and even Motherboard BIOS.
2) Tried the headphone jack at the back of the motherboard and also the front panel connector
3) Tried different hardware (speakers and headphones) in both sockets.

The CRACK still happens.

The only thing I have found that prevents it is that I have a USB to Audio Jack dongle and then the CRACK goes. But it's a bit of a shoddy dongle and it reduces the sound output of my system by about 20% so I'd rather not use it.

I have also tinkered in here changing the audio quality settings from CD to DVD to Studio and back again.
hfghfg.png

Nothing helps.

So, any advice? :(

Associate
Not sure what would be causing it, but you could try something to narrow down if it's hardware or software.

Set your sound recording device in Windows to be "stereo mix" or whatever your particular system uses to refer to the sound being output by the PC itself. Test that's working by playing some sound and using Voice Recorder or another app to record then play it back.

Once that's working, start the recording when you are about to switch back to an app that you expect to cause the CRACK sound. If the CRACK happens, stop your recording and then play it back.

If the CRACK is present on the recording, your computer actually generated that sound and sent it to the speakers - software issue.

If it's not present on the recording, the software sent the correct sound and the CRACK was introduced somewhere in hardware.

Back
Top Bottom