Steam account recovery - asking for a friend...

Soldato
So, let's assume someone's a right idiot and follows a link that looks legit, attempts to link their steam account, and even responds to a request for the steamguard code which results in a Russian IP removing SteamGuard and changing the e-mail and password associated to your Steam account...

How long might it take to get that account recovered?

I've done the, erm, I mean my friend's done the 'report my account stolen' thing and is wondering about a turnaround time?

Ta

Soldato
Ouch
You ~ooops your friend don't have any recurrent payment method set up do you?
Assuming similar to Facebook if you can buy stuff for games
Some people leave their card or PayPal details on there for convenience
But if lose account they gain access to the payment method stored

Soldato
OP
I thought that I had, but I've called my bank and my credit card company and there ahave been no transactions...

If there are no transactions, what's the point?? Will they just sell my few quid's worth of skins or something??

I mean, my friend, my friend's skins...

Soldato
I'm resisting posting a Red from That 70's Show gif...

Hope you get it back sooner rather than later!

Soldato
I thought that I had, but I've called my bank and my credit card company and there ahave been no transactions...

If there are no transactions, what's the point?? Will they just sell my few quid's worth of skins or something??

I mean, my friend, my friend's skins...
Not sure how they manage it when it's Facebook
But they use those stored payment details
Have seen people saying lost couple of grand and had to argue with their bank that they hadn't handed out their details
Though clicking the link in a pm etc technically they did I guess

Soldato
Working in security, this is our biggest issue, users clicking links they shouldn't haha.

Always, ALWAYS manually check the link domain in google first... Lesson learnt I guess, I hope you get your account back.

Soldato
OP
I’m really not someone who should have fallen for this, I mean, my mate isn’t.
He knows much better.

I’m sure he’ll be embarrassed about it for quite some time to come. Frustrating not having access to all that gaming goodness too.

Soldato
Shouldn't really make fun of you
I mean your friend
But you
Oops I mean your friend
Seems to be taking it in good spirits
When you can't laugh at yourself then you're in trouble
Or is that laugh at your friend~doesn't seem right then lol

Soldato
OP
dang that really really sucks, how did it happen?? when you get it back i don't think your vac status will be the same :(
Well... the ridiculous way it happened is this...

‘my friend’ was watching a twitch stream. What looked like some promotional skin thing came up in chat...
He neither wants nor needs free skins for anything, but like a bored idiot he clicked for a look.
Looked legit, and required to be linked to his steam account.
Not unusual, he’s linked Twitch and Gleam and all sorts of things to accounts before...

After inputting both his user name AND password like an utter sap, it then in a very legit and Steam looking window asked for his SteamGuard code... which he also put in, because he’s a moron.

Seconds later the e-mail pops up to say that the mobile Authenticator has been removed, and then immediately afterwards an email saying the changes I (erm, he) requested had been made.

Steam no longer recognises his e-mail address either.

Checked with both bank and credit card peeps, no issues so far.
Changed passwords on all of my online accounts just in case too.
Put in the ‘stolen or hijacked account’ report and got the automated ‘we’ll get round to it’ email...

No games for a few weeks by the looks of it :(

Back
Top Bottom