1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steel series arctis 3 v 5

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by Jonnybmac, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

I'm currently playing on a £15 headset for pubg and I envy both my friends who use 5's and can pin point people 2-3 houses away when i can't hear nada or very little in regards to location.

I wluld like 5's to match but I've read 3's are just the same. Would i get the same quality with 3's as 5's or does the usb make all the difference?

2. Marsman

Capodecina

Could be the same headset, just that 3 uses analogue connection; 5 uses USB.

If you don't have a sound card and have only onboard audio, then with the Arctis 3, you won't get any positional sound location. With any headset that has analogue connections, you'd need a sound card to provide the positional sound cues (7.1) as the vast majority of motherboards don't have that.

With USB, headsets have their own sound processing electronics and in most cases, 7.1 positional sound location, as the Arctis 5 does.

I'm not really sure what the point of the Arctis 3 is. These headsets are aimed at gamer's and for £20 extra, you can get 7.1 positional sound without having to use a sound card, as you would with the Arctis 3. Surely pretty much all gamer's would just go for the Arctis 5 if they were looking at these headsets.

3. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

My board had onboard 7.1 but only Realtek ALC892 codec.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-A-PRO

Would this not be good enough as if so i may as well buy the 5. Is this the best heafzet in this range do you know? Don't like the look of the hyperx cloud or the a10's amd the only other was corsair hs50's.

Might sound stupid but does pubg benefit ftom 7.1 or use stereo?

4. Marsman

Capodecina

Most motherboards have 7.1 output, which is what is being referred to in the specs. That is for connecting up to 7.1 speaker systems (which have disappeared now leaving mainly 5.1). That is not the same as providing 7.1 to headphones.

Save for a couple of headsets (Razer Tiamat for example), most are stereo (1 speaker/driver in each cup) and use an algorithm to provide cues which give the effect of positional surround sound. With USB headsets, this is often built in to the electronics, such as the Arctis 5, for example.

Headsets that have analogue connection (Arctis 3), rely on whatever they are connected to, to provide the positional surround sound cues. In most cases this will be a sound card, as these algorithms are rarely found on motherboards.

Such a sound card would be, Creative Sound blaster Z, which uses SBX prostudio to provide positional sound to headsets or headphones.

To be honest, I'm not sure if PUBG has options for 7.1 output. It's a game I don't play.

Some games don't have options for 5.1/7.1, just stereo.

5. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think you've sold me on the 5's cheers

6. roadie

Mobster

I've just ordered the 2019 version of the Arctis 5, which was actually cheaper than the 3.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this USB headet compares to my current Razer Carrachias that is connected to a cheap Asus internal soundcard.

7. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

How much did you pay?

8. roadie

Mobster

9. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

10. roadie

Mobster

NP. Look forward to hearing your thoughts; I'll report back with the differences over my current setup. I too play a lot of PUBG and will be interested to see whether it improves my ability to locate the origin of shots and foot steps.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM
  11. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

Im sure they will put a smile on my face compared to my current set.

Pretty excited. Last time i had a half decent headset was around cs 1.5 - 1.6 transition a medusa 5.1 usb i think it was. People used to say i wallhacked cause i could pin point peoples location through walls. Sure its only got better

12. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

Wow, pretty amazing.

Surreal feeling being able to hear every footstep and pin point it. Seems like I was vastly disabled not having one of these headsets! I can hear every little footstep and where abouts it is! Game changing

13. NikTheSHNIK

OcUK Staff

Grab 10% discount this weekend and free delivery using the code TOTALWAR10 on all Steelseries peripherals (excluding discounted bundles)

14. rhysduck

Soldato

Lovely! Makes the Artic5 headset a mere £76.45... pity it's the white version :(