Steelcase Please V2 vs Noblechairs Hero vs ...

Associate
Hi all,

I know this has probably been done to death - but I need a new chair (working at home has really hammered this home to me over the last couple of months!). I was looking at the Noblechairs Hero - but also the Steelcase Please V2 secondhand. I'm 6ft and 75kg (11 1/2 st) and a little worried the Hero might be a bit big. Was also considering the Epic as it looks a bit smaller.

I've seen the steelcase please v2 refurbished for c£200 (without headrest) - which seems like a reasonable deal. Any other options I should be looking at? How does the Steelcase Please v2 match up to the noblechairs Hero or Epic?

Thanks!

Alex

OcUK Staff
From that I can see, they are both great chairs. However there has been a lot more positive reviews on noblechairs here due to Overclockers UK selling them and probably being one of the best gaming chairs on the market. Gaming chairs in general have a bad name due to other brands offering something cheap, non-ergonomic etc etc. However noblechairs has turned this around and offer a durable, professional, ergonomic and decent chair. Overclockers UK also offer a 30 day comfort guarantee, so if you were not happy with noblechairs you can return it for a refund. :)

Associate
OP
From that I can see, they are both great chairs. However there has been a lot more positive reviews on noblechairs here due to Overclockers UK selling them and probably being one of the best gaming chairs on the market. Gaming chairs in general have a bad name due to other brands offering something cheap, non-ergonomic etc etc. However noblechairs has turned this around and offer a durable, professional, ergonomic and decent chair. Overclockers UK also offer a 30 day comfort guarantee, so if you were not happy with noblechairs you can return it for a refund. :)

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the Epic vs the Hero?

Cheers,

Alex

OcUK Staff
The main differences is size, if you prefer a larger chair, then go for the HERO. The main other features are the lumbar support, the HERO has a built in lumbar adjustment too.

Associate
How does the Steelcase Please v2 match up to the noblechairs Hero or Epic?

I offered to do a review and comparison, but yeah I guess they weren't that keen make of that what you will.

I couple of points I think the Noblechairs will have to concede on:
- Steelcase parts can be ordered separately through dealers and 2nd hand market if something breaks
- The Please seat cushion has a forward back adjustment which besides the ergonomics is very useful for sim pedals or a joystick
- Lumbar support on the Please is about as good as it gets, Steelcase own the patent so you won't see it on other chairs
- seat and back cushions on the Please are fabric and detachable so they can if needed be re-flocked and reupholstered as and when they get worn or if damaged where as PU leather is notorious for not aging well past its warranty period.
- The Please has a contemporary design to it meaning its looks will age well and will not look out of place in a variety of rooms and settings. If say your partner is not into gaming then its a safer option.

downsides are really I can only think of one in that the Please is an operator chair so its designed for practical use not luxurious comfort.

The real leather Hero I think is a good option but its not cheap, honestly I personally would not spend a lot on a PU leather chair I don't think they age well. People have reported quality issues with the Noblechairs they seem quite expensive for what they offer but if the support is there and they fix peoples issues thats a good thing too.

Man of Honour
Out of those two I would be buying the Steelcase Please v2. It gets excellent reviews and doesnt have the stigma of a gaming chair.

Having said that, my 14 year old son would love a gaming chair.

Associate
OP
I offered to do a review and comparison, but yeah I guess they weren't that keen make of that what you will.

I couple of points I think the Noblechairs will have to concede on:
- Steelcase parts can be ordered separately through dealers and 2nd hand market if something breaks
- The Please seat cushion has a forward back adjustment which besides the ergonomics is very useful for sim pedals or a joystick
- Lumbar support on the Please is about as good as it gets, Steelcase own the patent so you won't see it on other chairs
- seat and back cushions on the Please are fabric and detachable so they can if needed be re-flocked and reupholstered as and when they get worn or if damaged where as PU leather is notorious for not aging well past its warranty period.
- The Please has a contemporary design to it meaning its looks will age well and will not look out of place in a variety of rooms and settings. If say your partner is not into gaming then its a safer option.

downsides are really I can only think of one in that the Please is an operator chair so its designed for practical use not luxurious comfort.

The real leather Hero I think is a good option but its not cheap, honestly I personally would not spend a lot on a PU leather chair I don't think they age well. People have reported quality issues with the Noblechairs they seem quite expensive for what they offer but if the support is there and they fix peoples issues thats a good thing too.

Thanks for the detailed points! I think I'm leaning towards the Please - if nothing else because 2nd hand its a bit cheaper than either of the noble chairs.

Associate
OP
Out of those two I would be buying the Steelcase Please v2. It gets excellent reviews and doesnt have the stigma of a gaming chair.

Having said that, my 14 year old son would love a gaming chair.

:)

My 10 year old is the same (as is the little kid inside my head) - but I think practicality will win out in the end :)

Associate
Hi Alex,

I'm a Hero owner and am very happy with the chair but really have low expectations as before this I was sat on a 15 year old office chair which was quite literally like sitting on a plank of wood. I really like the look of that Steelcase please V2, it actually looks like it would be comfortable unlike the insanely priced Herman Miller Aeron. I'm looking to buy a second chair as I need to setup another work space at home and getting another Hero will be too expensive and it's way too big for the area I'm thinking about using. This Steelcase Please V2 looks like it might be a good shout. I'd be really interested in how you get on with it and where you order it from.

There is something you might want to factor in which I never ever see being mentions anywhere in review but I feel is quite important and that's the seat pan. On the Hero it's like a car chair your bum is lower and your legs rise up to go over the edge if that makes sense. I would have preferred a neutral overhang for my legs and I feel this would be more ergonomic. On the Steelcase please it looks like the edge of the seat pan is lower than where you bum sits, so not neutral but might be really comfy I don't know.

I went for the Hero as I wanted a big chair which I could sit back and cross my legs in, generally move about in and i't really good for that. I don't think the chair is worth the price though, it should be about £250.

One thing I'd be concerned about when buying a second hand chair is that if the seat whilst it might look good it could have had someone heavy sat on it, I've noticed some sellers offering re-upholstery but I suppose that again adds to the cost.

Associate
I've noticed some sellers offering re-upholstery but I suppose that again adds to the cost.

That's actually a really good point and something to watch. Re-upholstery can mean anything, what you need to watch or factor in is the foam/cushion quality too its not all about the looks. Over time a foam cushion will degrade its sponginess (for lack of a better word) reduces so a 15yr old seat cushion eve if its recovered with new material will not feel like it should. At least that IS and option on some chairs where as others have zero serviceability.

Associate
See if you can find a Steelcase leap.. I have this beast for 10 years now and is unbreakable.. I would never go back to any other chair....

Associate
I've mentioned in another thread I went for a please, sadly it was really old (2006) and many of the parts were broken or barely worked and the re-upholstry was a really poor job.

I'm sending it back as apart from these faults it's really uncomfortable. The back support is a gimmick, it moves way too much, the chair feels really flimsy. It does not tilt like a conventional chair and the seat pan padding is thin meaning you soon feel your bum pressing into the plastic base. I sat on this chair for about 3 hours before moving back to my 15 year old office chair.
I've got another Hero on order, to me it feel with the Please they have over engineered this chair, the back support doesn't work very well. I think this chair might work for small people as it's a relatively small chair.

Also it's worth mentioning I looked in trying to find replacement parts and couldn't find them anywhere, one of the dials on the side has cracked. The company selling the chair didn't bhave access to replacement parts either so the idea that it's easy to obtain these parts is a myth.

Back
Top Bottom