Steerer /bar cutting

Associate
I’m building up a DJ bike as a little project and taking the opportunity to learn about bikes as I do it. I’m at the stage where I need to cut my fork steerer tube and while I’m at it trim my handlebar width. Is there a compelling reason to get the Park tools hacksaw or will a normal hacksaw suffice? Is a special type of blade required? I’ll be using it with a Lifeline cutting guide fwiw.

Caporegime
Pipe cutter is probably best.

I done mine with a blunt junior hacksaw whilst at work. Just remember it needs to be a set amount below the last spacer. Mines was 2.5mm IIRC.

I'd probably use a guide if I was doing it again.

Soldato
You'll get a better hacksaw for cheaper from a saw maker rather than a bike tools maker. I'm guessing on a DJ bike it'll be a steel steerer so no need to get too fussy over the blade (carbon ones need super fine pitch blades).

A little file to tidy up the edges is good practice too

Last edited:
Associate
If you've got a pipe cutter at hand then use that, otherwise run a bit of tape around the tube to give you a straight edge to follow and use a new hacksaw blade - be good ;) Remove all burrs with a file (or the pavement if you're Sam Pilgrim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bkf6OaNMS4 )

just make sure to measure, re-measure and check again before doing so... (better to be longer and use a couple spacers, or trim a little more off with a 2nd cut, than cut it too short).

tbh, I find setting the star washer more difficult than cutting the tube...

Back
Top Bottom