Steering wheel vibration :(

Soldato
Hi guys,

I managed to pick up some OZ hydras for my focus a couple of weeks ago from ebay for an absolute steal complete with tyres. Obviously in order to stop the car looking completely awful I needed it lowered, so the wheels along with Eibach springs were fitted last week, great.

Or not so great as it seems. Drive out of the garage and join the A1 doing A1 sort of speeds and notice a hell of a lot of steering wheel vibration above 65/70mph. So I order some spigot rings from ebay, they arrive and fitted onto the alloys like an absolute charm.... However, I am STILL getting certain about of steering wheel vibration above 65mph, it's better, but still noticeable.

The wheels have also been laser aligned and alas still no improvement. I even asked the tyre guy to check the pressure of the tyres which he has adjusted slightly. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas as to what the problem could be? Wrong spigot rings? Although they do seem to be genuine OZ rings that fit really well into the alloys and the vibration has got better.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Take them to be balanced somewhere else.

Some garages simply do not maintain their balancing machines, a set of alloys with low profile rubber (I assume) and harder / lower springs will mean you are more likely to feel vibration.

My dad bought a 58 plate Saab 93 Aero a while back, it took 5 different garages to sort out a minor wheel wobble (including 2 Saab dealers), it literally was a case that the 5th one was owned by someone who gave a damn, so their machine was calibrated regularly.

Sad but true.

Soldato
My 1st corsa, 53plate 1.2, done that quite bad at speed, tyres were fine, balanced (didnt get them aligned tho).

Took it to vauxhall (i was yonger and silly back then lol) and they re-torqued the steering wheel and it was fine from there on :)

Mini Edit : They done it under warranty actually... which was nice and quite rare i think!

Associate
Tyre balance, tracking, wheel bearings, ball joints. These are all common causes of tyre vibration, Choose one.
Recently had a rear driverside bearing replaced which droned horribly and caused vibration above 70.

Back
Top Bottom