Step daughter wants to see her dad....

Associate
Say to her "I love you, you are my daughter and I am worried about this because I don't want to see you hurt. However, you're an adult and I respect you can make your own decisions but I want you to know I'm here for you always!"

This.

what right do you have to stop her (NONE) let her do it and she will find out in the long run what he is like good or bad you cannot say a dam thing

Not this.

Good luck, challenging situation, hope it all works out.

Associate
...we have arrange to take her to meet him before hand and stay with them until she wants us to leave then leave them to it for a few hours and let her decide if she wants to go out for her birthday with her dad and his partner. so will see how it goes.

This sounds like the right thing to do - as frustrating as it is, well done for swallowing your pride and putting your daughter's wishes first.

It does sound like a bit of a joke, but perhaps she doesn't want to upset you/admit to wanting to meet/judge him for herself?

Associate
I can understand it from both perspectives.

I can understand why you'd feel abandoned by her decision to meet her biological father and I can understand her desire to meet the person she's heard so much about, who has rejected her in the past and is now offering her both attention and fun. I think its hard to resist the attention of someone you feel a connection with, even if its simply that you share chromosomes, who has rejected us, after all we all value the respect and attention of others in my experience especially those we are programmed to 'respect' (regardless of whether they actually deserve our respect).

I think this is one of those things you have to let her figure it out for herself. If he's the man you describe she's likely to learn that there's more to relationships than biology and Alton Towers trips. It's the job of parents to let theirkids begin to make their own way in the world after all. All you can do is be there to support her if (when) it goes wrong.

Ultimately Id say her desire has little to do with you. It's likely not a reflection of her relationship with you, nor should you see it as such. If you can try not to take ig personally.

Associate
Say to her "I love you, you are my daughter and I am worried about this because I don't want to see you hurt. However, you're an adult and I respect you can make your own decisions but I want you to know I'm here for you always!"
This

Support her choice even if you might not agree with it, at the end of the day if it all goes belly up you will be there to look after her

Back
Top Bottom