Steven Gerrard.

Soldato
Oh don't get on your high horse, it was an incident that people are bound to discuss and the thread is merited on the basis that it was a game-changing incident that alters Liverpool's group. This thread would be no less deserved if it was an incident of Ronaldo, Drogba, Torres etc diving. Just because we are English and he is one of our national team heroes, we seem to want to ignore the painful truth that he is actually a bit of a cheat.

I'm a United fan and I'll willingly admit that Ronaldo is a blatant diver, I was actually embarassed against Chelsea when he went down near the touchline, was shameful. I'll also willingly admit that Rooney and Scholes are both prone to diving if they see it as beneficial to the team, so don't let your Liverpool bias get in the way of what was clearly a very dubious penalty decision.

if this thread is merited then does that mean we will have 20 or so of these about C ronaldo cheating or Lampard goes missing in another big game or OMG berbatov did a back heel !!!! each week ? thought not ;p

as for it being a game changing moment so what ? we could talk about the poor ref decisions all night but the result was fair, but alas the thread is not entitled 'Sensible discussion about how the game ended up 1-1' ..

it was a penalty if you go by the rules, but it was a silly one for the defender to give away, gerrard might have slightly overdone the reaction to the foul, but again it was a foul inside the box which kind of ends the debate.

Soldato
He jumped in with the intention of getting something out of it. Its plainly obvious, and I'm a mad Liverpool supporter. I watched the game with my brother, father, brother in law, and friend who are all mad supporters and everyone, even though we where pumped up near the end, all said it wasn't a penalty and that he played for it. We all said at the end that it was very harsh for AM.

What gets me though is the idiots that seem to come out of the woodwork with the intention of hanging Gerrard as if he's some criminal. Like no player has ever done this before.

Oh and Liverpool cheating... again
Oh stop crying :rolleyes:

How have Liverpool been any different than any other club? You can pretty much gurantee that any big game throughout a season, be it a derby, CL game, cup game, top 4 game etc, there will be at least 1 incident of a player going down like a sack of spuds in the box. Its just the way it is in football these days.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So lunging in at full speed for the ball, when you have no chance in hell of controlling it, and then colliding with the motionless defender, and rolling to the ground is a penalty?

Wait, what?

Soldato
if this thread is merited then does that mean we will have 20 or so of these about C ronaldo cheating...

We usually do, but some people just don't like it when the tables are turned and they have to get off their high horse because their favourite player has been proven...again...to be a cheat.

Soldato
Highlights and highlights on the news are very different. Also dont see how you can say we shouldn't have had a penalty earlier, the handball was blatant.

if the highlight has got a few seconds before the incident (to see the buildup) along with the incident itself it is still worth commenting on

It was never a penalty and Gerrard blatantly barged into the defender

Soldato
Kinda poor of a guy who is so against "diving" to go and do it himself, not the first occasion, won't be the last.

I thought that he was some kind of knight in shining armor to save English football and all this..

Thought it was really really poor of him, cheater.

He didnt dive though, he clearly was a shocked as the rest of us that it was a peno.

He simply got knocked/lost his footing. We should have had 2 penos in the first half anyways, so what goes around comes around.

Caporegime
OP
He didnt dive though, he clearly was a shocked as the rest of us that it was a peno.

He simply got knocked/lost his footing. We should have had 2 penos in the first half anyways, so what goes around comes around.

But football doesn't work like that. Refs shouldn't give a penalty to make up for missing one in the first half, I watched most of the game and didn't see any penaltys that should have been given.

And Gerrard knew what he was doing, he went looking for the foul despite in my view he should have been cautioned / told off for dangerous play.

Associate
Finally seen the incident and it wasn't a penalty. However, the comments that Gerrard is a serial offender aren't wholly justified.

Yes, he has done it numerous times, but he isn't the only one and not likely to be the last, as I said before, to combat it a penalty needs to be introduced. I suggested an instant red for diving, someone else suggested a panel to judge them after the game and hand out bans. If this was introduced then it should be one game, and increase after every occurance.

The fact that the referees assistance has come out and admitted he made a mistake (and it was he, not the referee that made the call) is not going to make Madrid feel any better as the result is still a 1-1 draw. The fact that he has admitted it wasn't a penalty justifies the argument that Gerrard cheated to obtain an advantage for his team and was successful in doing so.

Also, you hear it time and time again when someone is fouled and no penalty is given because the player didn't have the ball under control or it was rolling out of play and therefore there was no chance the attacker would reach it before it went out after knocking it past the keeper. In this instance Gerrard did not have the ball under any control and the ball was out of play before Gerrard theatrically hit the deck.

Irrespective of all the diving/cheating of players there is no consistency from the referees either and not one referee has the bottle to stand up for teams and make the decision they know is right but they make the one that will get the best reaction. All of course apart from the referee of the WBA v Blackburn game at the weekend.

Soldato
I struggle to see how Gerrard "dived" tonight. He was pushed in the back.

Agreed. Not penalty worthy though.

The reason he went down has nothing to do with choice, it's due to momentum. When you run at full speed, it takes only a small knock to floor you.

On a sidenote, what about his nerves?! I thought he would miss, his hands were shaking when placing the ball, yet he converted with some conviction (placement was bad, but power impressive). Impressive that, time and again, he pulls his team out of the dog house through sheer will and nerves.

Permabanned
Whats so surprising? He's done it several times for England and in the Prem............oh and in the CL

Soldato
But football doesn't work like that. Refs shouldn't give a penalty to make up for missing one in the first half, I watched most of the game and didn't see any penaltys that should have been given.

And Gerrard knew what he was doing, he went looking for the foul despite in my view he should have been cautioned / told off for dangerous play.

Im not saying the ref gave the peno to make up for his mistake. Im basically saying it was a very poor reffing all round.

When a peno is given, wether or not its fair. No team in any league is going to say to the ref 'no sorry, we dont want the peno, as it was not a foul'.

So to call Gerrard a cheater, is hardly right as every team, footballer would do the same, stand up, take the peno, without arguements, wether its a Premier League match, UEFA, euros, or just a sunday league team.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Im not saying the ref gave the peno to make up for his mistake. Im basically saying it was a very poor reffing all round.

When a peno is given, wether or not its fair. No team in any league is going to say to the ref 'no sorry, we dont want the peno, as it was not a foul'.

So to call Gerrard a cheater, is hardly right as every team, footballer would do the same, stand up, take the peno, without arguements, wether its a Premier League match, UEFA, euros, or just a sunday league team.

But we can't argue with Liverpool fans, they are wise.

Gerrard cheated end of story to win his team a point in a game they didn't really deserve to win.
The linesman has come out and said sorry for the mistake.

I don't think every footballer would do the same, i think it takes a certain kinda of person to dive or to go to that length. I think it says more about Steven Gerrard as a person, he will do anything to win, even break the rules and cheat.

This isn't about other teams, this is about a player who the media and your average "Engerland" fan believe to be the best, most honest, gifted, hardworking player in the universe, second to John "big man" Terry.

This is by a man who has repeatedly come out in the media and slammed players for diving and ruining the game.

Soldato
But he didnt dive.

If you want to see what a dive looks like, check Ronaldo out on Youtube.

Gerrard was up for it, he ran in, jumped for the ball, but in the mist of it was knocked in the back by thr Ath. Matrid player which made it look worse than it was. Hardly a dive. Its not as if he played for the foul like 95% worth of footballers, who roll on the floor, clutching their ankle, only to a few mins later, get up and take the free kick, so would you class that as cheating?

But not everyone is going to agree, I personally didnt think it was a dive.

Maybe they did not deserve to win by a peno, but they defo deserved to win that match, did you see the second half? Ath. Madrid hardly came out of their half.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
But he didnt dive.

If you want to see what a dive looks like, check Ronaldo out on Youtube.

Gerrard was up for it, he ran in, jumped for the ball, but in the mist of it was knocked in the back by thr Ath. Matrid player which made it look worse than it was. Hardly a dive. Its not as if he played for the foul like 95% worth of footballers, who roll on the floor, clutching their ankle, only to a few mins later, get up and take the free kick, so would you class that as cheating?

But not everyone is going to agree, I personally didnt think it was a dive.

Maybe they did not deserve to win by a peno, but they defo deserved to win that match, did you see the second half? Ath. Madrid hardly came out of their half.

Or look up Steven Gerrard on youtube ? the guy is hardly a saint, even if you didn't think it was a dive last night you can't argue that the guy dives.

I think it was a dive / bad tackle. He basically jumps into the Ath defender who is none the wiser. He hit the floor and arms out expecting a foul, so i'd say that's diving. not the same as "falling" over like he's done before but its still cheating.

Back
Top Bottom