Link cable: £90
Headphones: £100
Total around £500.

option 2:
Reverb g2: £639
But not in stock

option 3:
Index: around £950

but with the index I feel like there could be another update on around a year.

hp reverb might not get the same updates as quest or index?

hp reverb will end up being only £140 more than quest 2

Quest 2 quality isn’t as good because the data is compressed.

Sooo many ifs and buts haha

Soldato
Why are you paying £100 for headphones? And you don't have to pay £90 for a link cable either.

Just one piece of advice. Don't think about what might be coming later this year or next year. If you are buying a headset now, base it on what's out now.

Your overthinking it too.

If you mainly play sim games, get the Reverb G2.
If you mainly play Roomscale games and want the ability to play games anywhere or wirelessly get the Quest 2.
The Valve Index will run better on your current GPU than the other 2 headsets. If you don't plan to upgrade your GPU for a while and want the absolute best tracking and have the budget for it, get the Index.

Another solution that some people have done. If you have the budget for the Index, don't buy it, but buy the Quest 2 and the Reverb G2.

Soldato
the index is good but i think there will be another one due soon, and that would be the better one to get
if your getting one this year, i would either get the HP G2 (i hate HP so not for me) or the Quest 2

Index is expensive for what it its, but I don't regret getting mine due to the huge FOV. Also if a new Valve headset is launched then the basestations and controllers are backwards compatible, which reducses the cost of upgrading somewhat.

However the Quest 2 is the big bang for the buck, though the Facebook login requirement is getting harder to swallow due to the risk of account bans.

Soldato
I still cannot decide on what to buy.

Option 1:
Quest 2 £299
Link cable: £90
Headphones: £100
Total around £500.

option 2:
Reverb g2: £639
But not in stock

option 3:
Index: around £950

but with the index I feel like there could be another update on around a year.

hp reverb will end up being only £140 more than quest 2

Quest 2 quality isn’t as good because the data is compressed.

Sooo many ifs and buts haha

Data compression on a link cable seems to be almost a thing of the past according to most people. And you don't need the official cable, someone posted a really long cable recently that looks very good.

If you're enough of an audiophile to need £100 headphones, surely you have some already? I'm not an audiophile at all, and am happy with the inbuilt stuff, I'm not using my quest 2 to listen to music in general (well except beat saber, but that's not the same).

You will probably want another headstrap, those can be had for £20-£50 depending on your preferences etc.

The biggest question is what you'll be using it for? If only sims, as said, go g2. If you want to try everything, go quest 2. You can probably sell it on for most of it's value and get another headset if you like the idea but no the implementation.

Soldato
I have a reverb G2 and a quest 2
Both great headsets and both have their strengths.

Quest 2 has better controllers and controller tracking.
Quest 2 works wirelessly with PCVR.
Quest 2 is PCVR AND standalone.

Reverb G2 has better visual quality (not leagues better but is better)
Reverb G2 has better sound.
Reverb G2 has better head mount.

Now this one YMMV and depends on headshape.

For me..... Out of the box...
Quest 2 has better FOV. The supplied head gasket wit the G2 my eyes are 1.5cm from the lenses and I lose a lot of the fov.

Reverb G2 has better FOV after modding with VR cover from odyssey+ and some velcro (more comfy too) but cost £30. Quest 2 my eyes are right at edge of screen so FOV can't be improved.

Over all BOTH are good pcvr headsets. I am happy to own both for the specific games.... (Tetherless VR is amazing)

But IF I could only own 1 it would be the quest 2 and that is forgetting it's half the price .

BTW My 5m PC usb cable cost £30, my improved headmount cost £23 from ali express. You DONT need super expensive headphones to improve sound . I will make do with the supplied tubes anyway. They are not THAT bad

Soldato
It's a good job OP isn't looking for a wedding frock.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Soldato
I have a reverb G2 and a quest 2
Both great headsets and both have their strengths.

I've got both aswell, for me the controllers are about the same, but they just have a different tracking volume, the quest is slightly better vertically but the G2 is better laterally, I mostly play gun games when using the controllers and I have a gun stock that attaches the controllers via the bottom so the tops are not occluded

The visuals on the G2 for me are significantly better - I don't get on at all well with the latency of wireless or the degradation of the link cable, the SDE on the Quest 2 is "almost gone" but I can see it if I look for it or it makes itself apparent in certain light on dark situations, but the G2 for me the SDE is completely gone

overall if I was just going to have 1 it would be the G2 hands down, there's a couple of "exercise" type games that I prefer to do on the Quest (native), but for anything PC its definitely the G2 is my go to,

I had the quest 2 for nearly 2 months and was even considering cancelling my G2 order, but boy am I glad I didn't, even having had the Quest 2 and it being a big upgrade from a Vive or Pimax, when I got the G2 I spent like 20 minutes just looking at my hands in Zero Caliber, I was that impressed

the replacement foam I got for the G2 to do the FOV mod was £8

It's a good job OP isn't looking for a wedding frock.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

its not a bad analogy to be honest, as anything you wear on your face is going to be highly subjective - beauty literally being in the eye of the beholder

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are you paying £100 for headphones? And you don't have to pay £90 for a link cable either.

Just one piece of advice. Don't think about what might be coming later this year or next year. If you are buying a headset now, base it on what's out now.

Your overthinking it too.

If you mainly play sim games, get the Reverb G2.
If you mainly play Roomscale games and want the ability to play games anywhere or wirelessly get the Quest 2.
The Valve Index will run better on your current GPU than the other 2 headsets. If you don't plan to upgrade your GPU for a while and want the absolute best tracking and have the budget for it, get the Index.

Another solution that some people have done. If you have the budget for the Index, don't buy it, but buy the Quest 2 and the Reverb G2.

For me its, if you mostly play exercise type "games" like beatsaber (native mode), get the quest
if you mostly play PC games (including roomscale) get the G2
the controllers for me work fine, so the index doesn't even get a look in

not sure what you mean by this? G2 has already had significant software updates, none of them get hardware updates, iirc the reverb G1 carried on getting software updates even until now as the improvements to WMR recently also affect it

Last edited:
Soldato
the index doesn't even get a look in

heh say it ain't so. Mine is practically the beat saber pistol whip device now, the cavernous FOV, lightweight strap on Index controls, and the running frequency.

Nothing comes close to playing those two games at 144hz, it's night and day to only 90hz. Tried playing beat saber on the G2, it felt as alien to me as playing it on the OG quest, there's no way back when you've experienced the super smooth.

Soldato
Which one did you use ?

I used a quest cover that came with both a PVC and a cloth covered foam piece so you can use one or both and try out different thicknesses

heh say it ain't so. Mine is practically the beat saber pistol whip device now, the cavernous FOV, lightweight strap on Index controls, and the running frequency.

Nothing comes close to playing those two games at 144hz, it's night and day to only 90hz. Tried playing beat saber on the G2, it felt as alien to me as playing it on the OG quest, there's no way back when you've experienced the super smooth.

Yeah, fair enough, we are all different at the end of the day, I hardly play beatsaber, and being able to pick people out from the other side of the map on onward is a bigger benefit to my playstyle

Soldato
its not a bad analogy to be honest, as anything you wear on your face is going to be highly subjective - beauty literally being in the eye of the beholder
Am definitely not saying you are wrong, like you say most of it is subjective. You are the 1st person who I have seen say they think the G2 controllers and tracking match the touch however (even forgetting lack of capacitive touch and the far better battery life of touch.

But to each their own. I think they are both great additions to the vr options.
I would say with those on the market devices like the cosmos, any other win MR headsets and for all but a huge minority of people who simply must have OLED even the Vive Pro may as well just give up.

I haven't had any experience with the pimax headsets but for me there are only really 3 packages with considering now the quest2, the G2 and the index.

None of these are bad choices but the quest 2 is just so cheap (so long as you are ok having Facebook account which is the elephant in the room)

I will be interested to see if valve iterate on the index this year but AFAIK they still sell well.

Soldato
Am definitely not saying you are wrong, like you say most of it is subjective. You are the 1st person who I have seen say they think the G2 controllers and tracking match the touch however (even forgetting lack of capacitive touch and the far better battery life of touch.

The problem is, people are far more likely to complain than praise, and from what I've seen people complaining about the G2 controllers have some very strange setups or habits, there was a you tube video of a guy saying how bad the G2 controllers were dancing around in front of fairy lights... Another, a guy playing a gun game, was resting one of the controllers on the middle of his headset... I don't know if you've ever used a gun but that is definitely not recommended

As I say, I mainly play gun games and have a gun stock, so it works well for me, I can't think of any games I've played that even use the capacitive touch.

I've had tracking issues with controllers on every headset, it's just a question working around them, so in that respect I don't find the G2 controllers any worse, just different, but if you are too used to doing things in a particular way then you'll notice it more while you adjust, imo.

I already read about the battery life and got in a set of lipo, but I haven't had to recharge them yet after 2 weeks of use. I can't see it being a massive issue as at least they are swappable so you don't have to wait around for them to charge to be able to play.

Last edited:
Soldato
So on one hand you are right. The controller tracking IS good enough to work around so that every game is playable
And note I am NOT one of the G2 controllers are rubbish folk ... They are pretty good

But I am coming from a rift CV1 3 sensor setup which had superb tracking (though you could occlude them if you tried).
But I was able to play games such as in death and sports bar VR pool 100% naturally without having to think about it. Imo having to "change" how you play a game to accomadate the tracking does mean the tracking is not ideal
Other windows MR sets were awful in that respect and in that sense G2 is a massive.improvement.
Even the quest 2 doesn't allow me to play those games *quite* as robustly as CV1, but IME firing a bow in in death or playing pool in. Sports bar vr is better with insight than WMR.

I still get wobble with the G2.
I have played Arizona sunshine on both Q2 and G2 that is the only gun game I have tried with both and again both tracked ok, but side by side I just found the quest to be more robust.

I think it is less That G2 controller tracking is rubbish but for me that Q2 controller is fantastic.
If CV1 controller tracking was a 9.5 I would say quest 2 is a 9 and G2 is a 7.5 (and other winMR a 5)***

***Numbers plucked out of my ass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom