STILL haven't clicked on the buy button yet

Associate
Still been tinkering and fiddling with my spec for my new pc, I just don't seem to be able to push the buy button, it's a large amount of money to be spending on a first build, I'd hate to spend near £1300 and then blow it up....

This is the final spec that I have come up with, if anyone could look it over and see if it is good for the money and will all work together then I may just click on that buy button tonight, no OS/mouse/keyboard/speakers required.

Here is what I've got

MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **Supplied with FREE Batman: Arkham City PC game** [N570GTXTWINFROZRIIIPOWEREDITION/OC]

Dell Ultrasharp U2211H 21.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey [U221H]

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail [BX80623I52500K]

Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Obsidian 650D Gaming Midi Tower - Black [CC650DW]

OCZ Z-Series 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply [OCZZ850-UN]

Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive [CT064M4SSD2]

Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3) [AK-CCX-4002HP ]

Samsung SH-S222AL/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe ReWriter (Beige/Black/Silver) - Retail [SH-S222AL/RSMS]

Total : £1,238.52 (including shipping)

Any comments EXTREMELY welcome and thanks for bearing with me, I just want to make sure I get it right,

JT

Associate
OP
I'm not a massive hoarder of space on hard drives so 64Gb is plenty, if at some point along the line I need more space I'll add an HDD

Associate
When you've finished installing Windows and a few other necessary app's you'll be lucky to see 25GB left. You won't fit that many games, movies, mp3's etc onto it. HD's are so cheap, worth picking one up and adding it into your build from the start.

Associate
OP
Okay so besides being able to get the card cheaper and adding an HDD, recommendations for that by the way?? is everything compatible???

Cheers guys

JT

Soldato
Hi there,

Instead of the Dell U2211H I would suggest going for the Dell U2312HM. It's a bit bigger and should cost about the same (if not a bit less). Here is an in-depth review.

I would also give a big +1 to the Gigabyte GTX 570 Winforce 3X graphics card suggestion, gigabyte make nice cards and that custom cooler is fantastic (really quiet and cool).

As for the CPU cooler, I would suggest this one which is an excellent deal and will keep your CPU cool while remaining quiet.

The rest of the spec is great.

A few of things you may want to consider adding like this cable (so attaching the CPU power is easy and doesn't require you to hook it over your motherboard and graphics card. Also, this tube of CPU paste and this set of thermal material cleaner is a good investment for your first build.

Last edited:
Soldato
Original build is fine. All other suggestions as well.

If you go 8GB ram, I would disable hibernation and virtual memory, or move the page file to the hard drive, to save around 10GB on the SSD. Then 64GB will leave you with around 25GB for software.

Associate
OP
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies over night,

@cmndr andi, the 23 inch samsung is an extra £30 on this website and it's possibly a little bit big for the desk it it going to be on, also have you got any experience with that particular CPU cooler? on here there is a solo review for it which doesn't sound very great...

@Olivier thanks for looking over the spec, going to change the GPU to the Gigabyte one, I'll be sure to do that once is it set up and running, I'm sure I'll be posting some more stuff up soon after I've got it built with lots of noob questions.

Thanks for all the help guys and any other suggestions/tweaks would be great!

JT

Associate
OP
Also just a quick question, with this motherboard, RAM and CPU cooler combination, is the RAM going to be clear of the CPU cooler? Cheers

JT

Soldato
@cmndr andi, the 23 inch samsung is an extra £30 on this website and it's possibly a little bit big for the desk it it going to be on,

Ah, I didn't realise it would be too big for your uses. In that case, please ignore this suggestion, the U2211H is a fine monitor (though a bit on the small side for use with such a fantastic gaming PC IMHO- new desk maybe?).

also have you got any experience with that particular CPU cooler? on here there is a solo review for it which doesn't sound very great...

I don't have experience with this particular model - but I have used the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme before (which is an earlier version of the Venemous X) and it is a fantastic cooler. This particular on is just this CPU cooler with a pair of low speed/noise fans attached. Since it is only £30, you could add a faster fan like this and still cost the same as the AKASA venom - and perform better/quieter.

As for the stock configuration, it does seem that guy in the comments had an "issue" with this cooler on his heavily overclocked 130W (at stock) i7 950, with the temps running up into the low 70s when at 3.8GHz and at full load. To be honest - this isn't a bad result and sandy bridge CPUs like the i5 2500K are only 95W chips (at stock) and run much cooler than an i7 950 - even though they can overclock much further.

Here is an in-depth review of the Thermalright Venemous X Silent edition.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah it's a big debate between the 21/23 inch monitor, I might just sacrifice the space on my desk besides it's not like I use it for other stuff..... :p

I think I'm gonna stick with the AKASA Venom, I just love the crazy colour scheme and will stand out against the darkness of the ASRock MOBO, very close to pushing the order button...

Associate
OP
So this is gonna be my final spec, is it all good to go?

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 OC WINDFORCE 3X 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **Supplied with FREE Batman: Arkham City PC game** [GV-N570OC-13I V2.0]

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" Widescreen LED Monitor - Midnight Grey [U2312HM]

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail [BX80623I52500K]

Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Obsidian 650D Gaming Midi Tower - Black [CC650DW]

OCZ Z-Series 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply [OCZZ850-UN]

Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive [CT064M4SSD2]

Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3) [AK-CCX-4002HP ]

Samsung SH-S222AL/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe ReWriter (Beige/Black/Silver) - Retail [SH-S222AL/RSMS]

Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g)

ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier - 60ml Kit

Total : £1,273.55

Thoughts?

JT

Top Bottom