Stitching as opposed to using a wide angle?

Soldato
I can't find any definitive conclusion as to whether the former is more advantageous to the latter. Has anybody used the former with good results for interior work? I have the Profoto Eagle gimble for precise verticle and panoramic work so I'm wondering whether this makes my 14 mm redundant?

Soldato
If you have the software to do the stitching then you're set. Whether it's advantageous or not I guess depends on how much time you want to put into it.
My use case is considerably different but I sold my 12mm f2 lens which was my go to for Astro and started using my 23mm f1.4 by stitching shots.
There's no doubt the results were better but there's considerable faff involved.

Soldato
OP
If you have the software to do the stitching then you're set. Whether it's advantageous or not I guess depends on how much time you want to put into it.
My use case is considerably different but I sold my 12mm f2 lens which was my go to for Astro and started using my 23mm f1.4 by stitching shots.
There's no doubt the results were better but there's considerable faff involved.
Thanks for that. There's hardly any faffing with the Profoto Eagle since you can adjust horizontally and vertically "a click at a time". That is to say there is an audible click to actually monitor any movement along with the option to set the camera back along its axis point at 45 degrees facing.

Last edited:

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I've used this tactic plenty of times where I either don't have a wide enough lens at the time, I can't be bothered to change lens or I fancy the increase in resolution. I've found that the sweet spot is 3-4 shots taken in the opposite orientation to the intended result, combined into an image with a standard aspect ratio. The main drawback is with subject matter that moves as it won't stitch well in those areas.

Probably the best example I have is this. 3 horizontal shots stitched vertically. (shot with 20mm)

Another interior. 4 vertical shots combined horizontally (shot with 20mm again)

Back
Top Bottom