Stolen car insurance claims - How Long?

Soldato
Jumped out of bed this morning at 2:20am to the sound of one of our cars being revved to the limit, throw the curtains open to see our Fiesta ST reversing off the drive. Instantly called the police and got the incident number etc.

In my 8+ years of driving never had to claim, let alone claim for a stolen car. Anyone with experience been through the procress/know how fast of a turnaround we can expect? No truely urgent need to get another car as we still have our main car, will be getting some security cameras set up asap though (hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?) and probably some kind of extra security for the BMW as well.

These are things I will ask my insurer obv but they don't open until 9am so I'll ask here in the meantime. Will this go against our NCB on this car (it's in my partners name as main driver but a multi car policy).

More annoyed my premiums will more than likely be spiking up going forward than anything else.

EDIT: Also gets its true Fiesta STs seem to be high targets, decided to steal that over next doors panamera and then the x5m next to that! (my BMW was blocked in by the fiesta)

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear that mate, what a pain. Keyless? Police even turn up?

We have security cameras around the whole house, but I doubt they make much difference.

Soldato
OP
I just looked up the thread I made when the Land Rover got stolen - stolen on 21st September 2018, payout agreed on 13th October '18.

Not that long of a turn around, did you lose NCB and how much did you premium go up by roughly?

Sorry to hear that mate, what a pain. Keyless? Police even turn up?

We have security cameras around the whole house, but I doubt they make much difference.

Its a 57 plate so just central locking and key ignition. No police turned up, I live relatively close to a main road and watched which direction they took off in, within a couple of minutes of telling the call agent what direction it went a police car with lights did go following it along but I guess it was already too late or it was responding to a different incident.

Soldato
OP
It was on a classic car policy, so the situation would be slightly different to yours (policy had no NCB to lose for example).

Ah fair enough, google says otherwise, our NCB is protected anyway but something in my mind is telling me when you claim with protected you can't then protect it again for XYZ amount of time. I could be completely making this up as I've never had to do any of this before

Man of Honour
gets its true Fiesta STs seem to be high targets, decided to steal that over next doors panamera and then the x5m next to that! (my BMW was blocked in by the fiesta)
14+ year old Ford is probably easier to steal, unless it's the bright orange one it might also be a bit more non-descript than the other two cards you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom