Stop mucking around and buy the TV. Help please.

Associate
Hi,

TV's, tv's, more than you shake a stick at, but which one ?

I'm gonna watch lots of TV, DVD's and play with my 360 through it. I'll be able to go up to £1100 for it.

The best one I've seen, picture wise, in the flesh so far is the TOSHIBA 42WLT66 42", but I ain't no expert. For the kinda money I'm talking is there anything better ?

I'd be grateful for any advice,
Storm

Soldato
Well for your budget its abit over you can get a Samsung LE40F71BX 40" cheapest ive seen it for is £1,177.

Reason i say this set is because you have 360 and this set allows 1080p through Component, HDMI, VGA. You will need to get an update cd and cable though as it has an overscan problem. If you head over to Avforums there a huge thread in LCD Tv section Samsung F its called will give you details on where to buy cable or you can add yourself to a list of people passing it around.

I would probably gone for Sharp XD1E if not but it dosnt allow for full 1080p though component only HDMI. I also worry about the banding with this set and its abit hit and miss if you are going to get a good one or not.

It seems the best 1080p LCD TV to go for at moment for input and price wise although Sound is not the best of quality from the set it self so ive read. And probably be a good idea to invest in some surround sound setup. I think a guy called mparter has exact model here on these forums so maybe he can say more about it. Also if you want to purchase HD DVD drive add on for 360 you can watch the HD DVD in all there glory at full 1080p over VGA connection. :)

My personal choice would be to hold off though as new sets will be arriving around April onwards with better specs and more connections. Im by know means an expert but ive been doing my own research and come to conclusion this is best 1080p LCD tv set at the moment as a lot of other tv have little niggles what put me off and the Samsung seem to be fault free. I would advise to go head over to Avforums and maybe ask in there as a lot of people will help and its dedicated pretty much to this kind of stuff. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Brands to go for are either

Sharp, they have be making LCD's the longest so they should have the best quality.

LG, They actually make most of the LCD's for other companies so you can bet their LCD's will be good.

If you can find a Pioneer LCD they would be a good choice also.

The rest are mostly just rebadged LG's

Permabanned

Sharp, they have be making LCD's the longest so they should have the best quality.

LG, They actually make most of the LCD's for other companies so you can bet their LCD's will be good.

Permabanned

Soldato
felt the need to post 3 times eh?

Something to consider is the size, unless your happy with a 42", in which case when determining which one you buy, have a listen to the in built sound, as it can be a bit poo in some LCD's. Unless you intend to use an AV reciever or the likes.

Cant fault my samsung 26" r74, and they should have imporved with the new N and F series.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with Samsung, Sharp, LG, or Pioneer. I would advise against the Toshiba. My bro has one at the moment as a loan set and the picture quality is terrible! And the reviews give the panel good ratings. :rolleyes:

In my opinion have a look at Sharp and Samsung. To be honest there are only like 2 main players AFAIK that make the panels for the screens anyway. :)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Don't sharp also build all their TVs to use less energy than other brands? Gets a
icon14.gif
from me :)

Soldato
Toshiba 37WLT68 here. Well pleased with it. Excellent HD and my SD on a good signal is great also. Dvd's look great connected via RGB scart. The "out of the box" settings where pants. A quick read in AV forums for some set up advice and I am now well chuffed with the image quality :)

Soldato
Warbie said:
Get a projector for movies and 360 and use something cheap for normal tv viewing. Why go for 42" when you can have 100? :)

Valid point until you consider his budget!! To get both (plus a reasonable screen for the pj) you would have to compromise both too much imo. Even going second hand (which with your first pj I personally wouldnt risk) you would have to be lucky to find some decent quality bargains within budget.

I am very happy with my samsung 32" lcd hdtv - Pioneer rear pro's are very good also

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies and advice guys, I've done some more snooping and think I may get the Sharp LC42XD1E. Read some reviews and it sounds really good and as has been mentioned here does proper 1080P, so NHL 07 is gonna look loverlyyy!!

I couldn't find information about if it does NTSC playback, which is very important as a load of my dvd's are from the US. Can anyone confirm or deny if it can ? [edit] Found the info, and it does [edit]

I found it for £1450 + £30 delivery.

Cheers again,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom