1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped eating meat a year ago, realisations since

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Combat squirrel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

So, OCUK, a section of society, of mostly predominantly white males age 18-50+ :D - not that it's easy to predict the majority of peoples views on things ;) (not everyone's of course!)

About a year ago, I stopped eating meat - I had a couple of slip ups, but nearly cut it all out, I had reduced it alot from 2 years ago..........but now defo given up, in the past month or 2, I've found myself nearly stopping eating any animals products.............just plant based now - the V word, but that seems to trigger people for some reason!

I stopped originally due to health reasons but then, I started noticing things, my perception changed, when your not living a 'convenient life' you notice the hypocrisy of society much more readily.

So now, its more about stopping the abuse of animals, the suffering billions go through is appalling, it is a mass genocide, just a different species now (I'm sure that will trigger ya average brexit voter :p), I also don't think its to strong a word - billions of life forms, farmed, kept in cages, then slaughtered, basically the same as the Nazi holocaust, just killed differently (some would say more 'humanily'), but theres no nice way to end somethings life, that never really lived, it was only fed n watered to grow bigger.

Which takes me on the the next thing - the planet cannot sustain this high meat diet modern humans have - its honestly not natural, the past 2 million years of evolution didn't intend daily meat intake for us, our genetic code hasn't changed in 9-10 generations. Suffice to say 90%+ of everything grown, goes to feed suffering animals, that are then killed, and 'we' eat - the unhealthy ones (diseased, cancer riddled etc), get mashed up and put into pet food - (yeah I stopped feeding my dog 'normal' pet food now, not cool filling her belly with tumors - I guess many didn't know this!!)

SO - this is just the tip of the ice berg really, I'm expecting some will reply in 'traditional OCUK fashion' start making leftie insults etc :rolleyes::p .

But if you really stop to think about it for a second, it doesn't make sense, eating meat, as a higher evolved life form, on modern day planet earth - obviously its all down to money and convenience why it continues - and were all of a generation bought up on traditional diets (mean n 2 veg mindset)

The only way it will change is, when meat becomes too expensive, I reckon in my life time even for meat eaters - the diet will change hugely as it becomes unstainable, more grown crops will go to feed people, its more efficient.

Anyways give me your thoughts people, should make for interesting reading!

2. inogen

Mobster

I think a lot of people broadly agree, at least with the idea that it's a sustainability problem. But like with most things, most think that they're only one person and that makes no difference. In the mean time, why should they be deprived of nice things whilst others carry on.

Fishing is another similar issue. It's why I think this problem needs to be solved from the top down. Either through outright banning or high taxation.

3. JBuk

Capodecina

What is more convenient about meat than veg?

I eat both and sometimes prefer veg , As I’ve got older I’ve considered the weirdness of eating another creature and it does put me off me a little, but then I smell some roast chicken or a steak on a bbq and I quickly forget .

4. Jono8

Caporegime

"Mass genocide"?

Massive hyperbolic description of what is essentially the natural food chain.

5. One More Solo

Capodecina

I think an omnivorous diet is natural and best for us, but the quantity (and type) of meat consumed in the average western diet is ridiculous. By extension, farming conditions to satisfy that diet are simply not good enough but most people are either squeamish or wilfully ignorant about where their food comes from. I eat less meat so I can afford that the meat I do eat is sustainably sourced. Sadly most people make their budget fit their desired diet rather than the opposite.

6. tom_e

Man of Honour

From the UK animal feed legislation, pray tell where your diseased tumor filled dog food came from?

7. EssexBoy

Wise Guy

But i like eating meat.

8. MissChief

Capodecina

I certainly respect vegetarians and Vegans for their stance and their resolve. I know I couldn’t do it.

But then sometimes they can’t help themselves and have to tell everyone or feel duty bound to lecture meat eaters. Very few meat eaters are unaware of where their meat comes from.

9. Maccapacca

Don

Are you ignoring the billions of wild animals slaughtered?

10. Thecaferacer

Hitman

I was vegetarian for 16 years from the age of 18. I ate carefully and kept very fit. About 8 years in was having serious issues with lethargy so kept trying to mix around my diet but nothing fixed it. Ended up resorting to blood work at the doctor's and I was lacking B12 and a host of other minerals.

I went back to eating meat 4 years ago and the improvement was mind blowing. Energy levels are literally racing, my strength is now through the roof. Convinced me we are natural carnivores. I still eat responsibly and would never criticise anyone for a vegan/Vege diet but the health issues take years to surface. most people feel better in the short term as you lose a bit of weight.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  11. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Yeah agreed, people are creatures of habit, they tend not to think for themselves enmass, just do similar stuff day in day out.

Fast food industry mostly, they sell it cheap and quickly, different to cooking yourself, yes the weirdness of eating a self aware creature has grown with me to the point where its too much now - you only have to watch videos of slaughter houses, every living animal has a huge will to stay alive, the animals about to get slaughtered are freaking out in extreme horror - they are not stupid, they understand where they are, in the video I saw it was sheep, in another pigs - if you did that to a pack of dogs for example, the dogs being funneled in to die, know and understand what is occuring, they can see it - pigs are as intelligent as dogs, sheep even with less measured intelligence understand they will soon die, its genetic code and instinct even for the most 'simple' animal.

Nonsense, its not a natural food chain in the slightest - I've never seen a lion, round up a few thousand animals, pen them in, breed them into billions of individuals, feed them a calculated diet at the lowest economical cost, introduce growth hormone to beef them up, then (the bit that upsets you) - murder them in the billions.

"genocide

noun
    noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides
    the deliberate killing of a large group of individuals, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.
    "a campaign of genocide"
    synonyms: racial killing, massacre, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter, wholesale killing, indiscriminate killing; More"

The synonym of massacre, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter etc seems pretty accurate to me ?

Meat eaters know where the meat comes from, what I didn't know until I started to look into it is - HOW that meat gets there, no one thinks about what the animal was doing when it was alive, for years, to get to the size where its economical to sell off - the treatement of them, the death of them - no one wants to think about that, and the truth is more grusome than you'd think, its not sadly pain free in any way.

Human mass slaughter is very very different from natural predation, a Lion doesn't consume large portions of meat daily, and neither does it consume only select cuts then throw the rest away, also nature balances itself within the eco system, again as I mentioned above, the earth isn't designed to sustain popultions of hundreds of billions of one species, all eating ONE grain, grown by humans to feed an unbalanced meat diet, it will collapse, in my life time.

12. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Yes iv lost a stone, how were you lacking those minerals and B12? Mine's gone through the roof as soya milk for example is laced with the stuff.

13. Maccapacca

Don

I mean do you think your grain is death free?

Does your grain come from hand sown, tended and harvested farms? Doubt it, probably from mechanised farming where billions of wild animals are slaughtered as a by product.

14. mid_gen

Sgarrista

I've cut out most meat now, for similar reasons.

Part of it I think is having a food animal as a house pet.

Slowly the tasty bit of meat on my plate has turned into a slice of something that used to be a sentient being. I can feed myself without needing to kill other sentient beings, so it's easy enough to cut it out.

Secondly is the environmental impact. Meat is not an efficient way to feed people. Same as I have cut back massively on waste in general, especially plastic, eating more vegetables is an easy way to do your bit.

15. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Wow, not sure if trolling or serious!! lol, 90% or more of anything grown goes to feed animals for slaughter anyway................... if you were serious, surely stopping feeding any livestock then enormously cuts down plant farming as well, we won't need even half that amount of plants to feed all humans, we use alot less calories than a cow for example.

Yeah you sound similar to me, its like a slow realisation happened, and now im doing it and i look back im like, 'wow was I really like that???'

16. Thecaferacer

Hitman

Soy has to be fortified to have B12 in decent doses and soy has been proven to not a great food source in men. The testerone lowering rumours have been debunked but it has been linked with far more complex issues, too lengthy for me to bother writing here.

Do what you want, all I can do is offer my experience as somebody who spent half my life not eating meat and saw the actual real results.

17. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

I'm interested in learning more information, what down sides to soy do you know of ?

18. Thecaferacer

Hitman

Joe Rogan did an excellent pod cast which went through a lot of the issues.

https://youtu.be/1BUL78hbkLA

19. Maccapacca

Don

It's about 40% not 90% it's 90% of soya and that's because soya is awful and only animals will eat it

20. bremen1874

Capodecina

They would if they had opposable thumbs.