1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped eating meat a year ago, realisations since

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Combat squirrel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Ha ha, imagine how good he'd be if he had a KFC now and then! ;) :p

2. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Well maybe without the battered covering.

3. efish

Wise Guy

Having money has always been an important aspect of what is now termed the 'lifestyle' aspects. The good work of purifying and elevating society comes with a cost.

Older forms like the temperance movement is strongly associated with the establishment of hydrotherapy (paid for cures involving 'pure water').
    In the Victorian period, phrenology, mesmerism, homeopathy (etc. the list is long) all offered the path to a pure and healthy body, if you had the time and money to pay.

Ill-health you only have to accept if you were poor, growing middle class and increasing rates of prosperity lead to an increased demand for therapies and a variety of treatments to ensure good health and a pure and perfect body.

It becomes a major cultural preoccupation of the middle classes.

4. efish

Wise Guy

Eat it with the battered covering you could become leader of the free world! One of Trumps favorites I understand.

The snack of champions.

Does eating K.F.C. cause racism ;)?

5. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Aurochs the wild ancestor of european cattle have been totally extinct for centures and wild boar were exterminated centuries ago here too until recent releases changed that, even then there are plans to exterminate them or at least severely limit their numbers. Its unlikely any of those will be going into the food chain they'll simply be left to rot or incinerated like the badger extermination.

So yeah, I think thats a fair assumption. Domestic farm animals exist for one reason only: for human consumption in one form or another.

6. Nasher

Capodecina

They will never be released in to the wild. They are too big for this environment and aren't really a natural species.

Cows would die off over winter without someone feeding them since they can't migrate south to warmer climates.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Im not sure the point you two are trying to make but it is rather stupid.

You are saying that the only way cows and pigs can exist is by breeding and killing them for food by the millions every year and you think that is a good argument in a thread about not eating animals?

Seriously WTAF is wrong with you?.

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/have-a-cow-3/

8. Caracus2k

Soldato

Are you seriously suggesting that if we stopped eating cows and drinking their milk that enough people would want to keep them as pets to keep their numbers viable? The cost of having a cow as a 'pet' is quite heavily subsidied at the moment by things like vets who work regularly with farmed animals. Get rid of the farming and that experience diminishes and the associated costs of care would rise as would the difficulty of breeding healthy new animals devoid of a ready supply of farmed animals.

A few cows might survive as a curiosities in zoo's if we stopped eating them and drinking their milk but that's about it.

9. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Ive had it so wrong all this time. Its you guys that are the real heros here.

If it wasnt for good people like you meat eaters, millions and millions of animals wouldnt be able to live the fraction of their sometimes horrible natural lives sometimes ending in a absolutely horendous death and wouldnt even exist today.

What a stupid argument.

(I know there are some good farmers out there that do actualy look after their animals with at least some good intent.)

10. MrPotato

Hitman

Just think about the innocent potatoes and carrots dying. They're/were alive, correct? What about the thousands of miles the crispy fresh asparagus travel from South America to the UK?
    We could go on all day about arguments, but the problem is bigger than you described.
    Personally, I had the unpleasant experience of meeting a person who would give me the evil look because I was washing my car, while children in Africa are dying or drinking dirty water, but the very same person won't hesitate flying almost every month for city breaks and driving hundred of miles when staying in the UK. Possibly the CO2 from the unnecessary driving or the too often flights isn't a problem, then?
    For a better society, and possibly a better world, first let's allow people to do their choices. Educated choices, not dictated ones.
    But suddenly I'm pictured as the devil for driving a diesel car, eating meat, being heterosexual, white, male, Christian?
    Would be more positive to highlight the benefits, but marching inside a restaurant to upset and force your view on people is the wrong way, I'm sure.

11. Outcast

Mobster

My youngest daughter (I have 3) developed quite a severe reaction to dairy products (Throat restricting air passage) a few years ago and after very careful trial and error which involves basically reading the damned label on EVERYTHING as even most crisps contain sodding WEY powder we have discovered she can eat St Helens mild goats cheese without problems. It's quite tasty too.
    The range of dairy free products has increased quite dramatically over the years too. (And they have become cheaper)

My middle daughter has the constitution of an ox

My eldest daughter Melissa...

She ate a normal diet until she turned 16 and got influenced by the "Whack-Jobs" at her school whereby she became Vegan.
    That's where her medical issues started.
    She has now had her womb removed (nothing found wrong with it) because of suspected severe endometriosis making her unable to function at "that time of the month".
    The wife tells me she was functioning perfectly from the age of 12 ! (She's 30 now)
    She has blistering perpetual headaches treated with VERY POWERFUL drugs.
    The kind you can't "just stop" taking !
    She is a very active "Action-Girl", Doing just about anything she can.

But she wont return to eating meat/dairy

Sorry.. but she's the only one in our known family history that has had any of these issues and I/We feel it's too much of a coincidence.

We suspect why the youngest got her allergy because I foolishly introduced her to that processed cheese & ham in a toothpaste style thing and she went mental on it !

12. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Oh dear.

I was a bit confused reading your post but then I read that line and it started to make sense.

I take it you are a brexiter and Trump supporter then?

13. FTM

Soldato

all I can add is well done for having the willpower

I enjoy a vegetable curry and enjoy cooking them, I am happy to have a delicious mushroom risotto

But I also enjoy a slow cooked italian ragu made with a huge slab of braising steak

best of both worlds for me..... I dont eat meat every day, but I can if I want to and the same for a vegetarian option.

certain cuts of meat have become so expensive they are treats only, why lamb is so expensive in this country when they are bloomin everywhere still annoys me

I am happy to pay a premium on a grass fed animal that has lived outside on pasture rather then an intensivley reared beast that has only ever lived in a shed...and I do as I go to a butcher who knows his supply chain from local farmers

and thats the problem...not everybody can afford it so there is a market for cheaper meat imported with less welfare standards to satisfy a demand..I am not part of that demand

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  14. FTM

Soldato

and I could never be a vegan as I love cheese more than life

15. Panos

Capodecina

Quoting for truth. :)

My ex wife was vegetarian when met her, and I had no issue to cut meat from my diet. Grilled fish was more difficult as idea but cut also at the same time. (I do not like fried fish and had no facilities to grill fish then)
    However when my ex decided to become vegan (thanks to her sister :mad:) so wished her good luck down the path she was taken. :D
    (she did became too fanatical about it, trying to guild-trip me fracturing irreversibly our relationship).

Cheese is something that I will never ever cut out of my diet, even if the doctors ban it completely "or else". Especially strong, non-vegetarian (made with rennet), cheddar, goats or feta cheese.
    And red hot jalapenos also, which I miss a lot the last 6 months in Greece. :(

Life is too short to live in a tasteless cocoon and fear. :D

16. Rroff

Man of Honour

One of my nephews doesn't get on well with dairy but is fine with goats milk and cheese.

17. GIBURROWS

Mobster

I could not and would not want to give up my Saturday morning bacon sandwich.

18. ANDREW GREEN

Hitman

@Combat squirrel Add flaxseeds to your diet to get a high source of Omega 3s

I'm not sure this is true. Hasn't man always hunted or fished? Farming itself is melenia old

Ethically you do perhaps have a point. I just love meat/chicken/fish although I do also cook with soya, lentils and beans, they just aren't anywhere near as succulent

I'm pretty sure there's no nutrient you can't get in a vegetarian diet tbh though mate

19. Freakbro

Capodecina

20. ANDREW GREEN

Hitman

This is interesting, thank you. It does show humans are to an extent very reliant on fish and meat to get optimal nutrition.

Some of those nutrients can be produced within the body though. IE eating copious amounts of flaxseeds will convert to DHA at an adequate level. And D3 is produced from sunlight