1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped eating meat a year ago, realisations since

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Combat squirrel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. mid_gen

Sgarrista

We're down to one meat-based meal a week...maybe a bit less than that actually.

Tried one of those wonder burgers from Aldi the other day. To be fair, it's a pretty decent impression of meat, but really, I'd rather have a tasty proper vegetable based patty.

2. SpartaK

Mobster

OP well done for being able to make the transition, not as easy as it sounds!

I'd recommend people to watch Forks over Knives on Netflix, it's quite an insightful documentary on the whole thing:

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/70185045

3. jpod

Wise Guy

Our anatomy means we are omnivores - eat meat and plants. We would have been hunter gatherers 1,000's of years ago. Our human anatomy, particularly our teeth and jaws and our bodies GI tract/physiology e.g enzymes tell us we are omnivores.

Having a concern about the welfare of animals makes sense.

But we have lost the link between hunting and sourcing food, killing humanely and preparing food which means we are no longer in touch with where our food comes from.

I am not going to stop eating fish, eggs (excellent source of protein) or meat - I don't eat a lot of it. I try to buy free-range - I know how to use all of the meat product - to respect it - I enjoy meat free dishes which are amazing too. I never eat processed food.

I don't think it is essential to be meat free for optimal health.

4. krooton

Caporegime

Weirdly enough, hunting is a lot less humane in terms of killing than a decent farm/abattoir.

5. MookJong

Sgarrista

In all of these debates on climate change and meat based diets we are told we will have to eat less meat or start eating insects to become sustainable. But surely the easier solution is simply lower birth rates. All of the problems we are causing to the environment are simply because there are too many humans living modern lifestyles. This is the cause of all the environmental unbalance.

In the future we will either have billions of people living mediocre restricted lives or we could have less people living more free and abundant but sustainable lives.

6. Bounce

Wise Guy

But I like meat

7. alec

Gangster

Thomas Malthus was there way before you, 200 years ago. Somehow we survived these 200 years

8. MookJong

Sgarrista

If the aim is just survival then I agree, outside of a complete cataclysm we will survive. I'm talking about quality of life. We will have to find more and more unnatural ways to sustain such a huge population. There will likely be nearly double the number of people on the planet by 2100 according to some UN projections.

9. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  10. wolfie138

Mobster

Soylent Green

11. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

12. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Poor people. You wont like it.

13. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

14. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

I'm not sure. On the one hand I love animals and want to protect the environment but on the other hand I love my food which includes meat.

Cant wait for artificial meat.

15. ANDREW GREEN

Hitman

Chemical synthasised compounds that humans never evolved to eat. Sounds yummy

16. robgmun

Capodecina

I had a roast duck last night which my wife beautifully roasted.

17. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

No I mean meat grown in a lab.

18. D.P.

Caporegime

Humans never evolved to eat pizza, but it is still yummy.

19. ANDREW GREEN

Hitman

We evolved to eat the ingredients in Pizza. Lab grown meat sounds great in theory but how about 20 years after the fact that they realise it's giving everyone cancer because of reason X?

20. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Nah, if anything the lab grown would be safer, far far easier to control the chemicals in it. Could be pure whatever you wanted
    Nothing like BSE could happen

The difficulty is not working out what to make the meat contain, its the process of taking a "soup" of chemicals and getting them to form what we recognise as meat, basically the texture