1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped eating meat a year ago, realisations since

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Combat squirrel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. robj20

Sgarrista

Morris Thurlock, whos that then.

The same titled program with Morgan Spurlock in was good though. Bit extreme though he ate it for every meal every day.

I have a takeaway about 2 times a month and it's not something I'm going to change.

2. jpaul

Sgarrista

Thurlock was, like Michael Mosley and Gilles Coran, rather silly sensationalist self experiments (how much would someone have to pay you, to eat takeaways every day of the week ?)
    long term studies are more relevant on ultra-proceesed food, like this with 100K participants https://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k322##

Haven't had a takeaway for many years .. when I think of any of the usual suspects Indian/Chinese/Pizza/Hamburger they're just synonymous, for me, with high fat/oil content ultra-processed food; like cigarettes should probably have a picture of a clogged artery on the packet, or reminder of health outcome statistics.

3. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  4. Demon

Soldato

My daughter (Vegetarian for 2 years now) asked if I could get this for her, and we sat down and watched it on the weekend.

I will say on the surface it's definitely given me food for thought, I lost a considerable amount of weight (10 stone at peak, currently 9 stone lost) a few years ago and unsurprisingly I have a much more plant based diet with far less meat (but still enough!) and its hard to pin what health benefits are down to weight loss, and perhaps how much may be that my fruit/veg intake is considerably higher than it used to be!

I am going to do a bit more reading around the subject (some good links in this thread) and we may try slowly reducing our meat/dairy intake and replace it with vegan alternatives for a few months just to see if there is any noticeable improvement.. I don't think we'd go full vegan in the short/medium term, but most certainly can't see the harm in heading towards reducing the meat/dairy products etc.

5. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Cool, best of luck in your journey, its always better to do it gradually. In addition to going vegan, I found out last week I am celiac - iv cut out gluten now for about a week and abit and I'm now feeling great, I suffered for years, and had no idea, but even with this, going vegan made me feel tons better, now I'll be a gluten freegan! lol

A friend of mine recently posted on his fb - he got gout after eating gammon for 4 days and 'felt rubbish' - it baffles me that this really obvious stuff comes up and no one really pays attention to what they eat (including me! after years i only knew pasta made me bad, but did i figure the rest out?! ohhh no! lol)

Its surprising what you can learn if you only listen to your body.

Said friend says he likes his meat too much to stop eating it - even as he sits there in pain, with gout, remarkable stupidity on several levels! lol

6. jpaul

Sgarrista

Fascinating take on the vegan lifestsyle this morning R4, that the dietary choices may not be as animal pure as the participants believe ..
    basically they were saying that the high processing of vegan foodstuffs may leave processing residues that are only fit for use as animal feed, examples being some of these non-dairy eg. oat milks, and can't but believe the processed pea protein in the burgers is also a candidate. ...

so maybe the packaging/ingrediants should be more clear about their credentials.

The residues could, like the oats in my porridge obviously be completely ingested in another form.

7. Thecaferacer

Hitman

He got gout?

It's a form of arthritis caused by uric acid crystallises on the joints and is caused by foods high in purine food such as red wine and seafood. You don't get it from having a gammon sandwich 4 days on the trot.

8. krooton

Caporegime

Don't come in here with your fancy shmancy science/biology :p

9. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Yeah all we really want is putrid hostility to those that dont want to eat animals.

10. Jono8

Caporegime

What proof do you have that he got gout from eating gammon? Correlation does not equal causation...

This is like me saying that i got a cold after eating a carrot every day for 4 days.

11. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

That's what he told me, said he ate nothing but gammon for 4 days and got it - if its caused by high levels of uric acid its plausible as his salt intake would have been much much higher

12. Thecaferacer

Hitman

No it's really not. Gout is caused by the bodies inability to process purines that are found is high levels in several low salt foods. This is turn is then converted to ions and salts that attach to specifically lower limb joints. That's where the salt aspect comes in. Just like arthritis it is a cumulative illness.

The only link between salt intake and gout is that it is more prevalent in people with high blood pressure or poor kidney function. In fact increased dietary salt intake has been found to reduce gout.

13. Jono8

Caporegime

This is wrong. Stop spreading misinformation.

You have tied eating Gammon for 4 days straight to getting Gout, which is just folly.

14. jpaul

Sgarrista

looks like oatly were already called out https://www.veganlifemag.com/oatly-release-statement-clarifying-use-oat-residue/

15. NickK

Capodecina

The food chain that without demand wouldn’t be there. What I mean by that is all the animals would be culled to make way for veggie production. Then the demand for fertiliser will finish the fish stocks, before the artificial fertilisers are needed and the fall out causes streams and seas to be killed off with algae and blooms.
    Too many people..

16. FTM

Soldato

the strangest thing about this thread is everytime I read the title my brain sees 'I stopped eating squirrel a year ago.....'

17. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

I'm glad it isn't just me.

Also the Halo Master Chef collection in the PC games sub forum.

18. Yadda

Wise Guy

That fooled me too. I re-read the title 3-4 times and still didn't make sense of it. :)