1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped eating meat a year ago, realisations since

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Combat squirrel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Yadda

Mobster

I've never met a meat eater who wouldn't sit on wooden furniture. :p

2. JBod

Soldato

*Sigh* Now I have to eat extra Lamb tonight to compensate for a new vegan.

To most sensible people, meat (like anything) in moderation is fine. An awesome BBQ is a treat. The stores here in the US are insane with the quantity of meat, which I am sure a percentage is just disposed of as there is no way it is all sold. Farming methods are damaging to the environment and need to be improved, but pretending that being vegetarian or vegan is better for the environment is a fallacy. The treatment of animals just needs to avoid unnecessary cruelty, but they are cattle and bred for consumption.

But this isn't going to stop me getting hungry every time I drive by a field of sheep.

3. Minusorange

Mobster

What about those of us who stopped eating meat because we realised we're contributing to needless death of innocent lives ?

One could argue the same logic for cannibalism if one really wanted

Let me ask you this question, how would you rationalise to an advanced alien race partial to eating humans that we deserve life and should not be treated as cattle when we treat "lesser" lifeforms as cattle ?

Don't get me wrong I'm well aware of the horrific reality of nature, a Lion doesn't think about the welfare of its prey, we're one of the few species that don't eat their food while it's still alive but do you not think it's odd to justify eating meat, simply because the creature is no longer alive ?

4. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Enjoy your free range turkeys and other dead animal meats this year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-plucked-alive-northamptonshire-a9258421.html

5. wolfie138

Mobster

i'll enjoy them a lot more than my alive animal meats.

point me at the article where describe how they euthanise wheat before scything it down by the acre, or carrots before they're yanked forcibly out of their habitat please.

6. krooton

Caporegime

7. RxR

Hitman

I'm surprised no one has stated how prissy they became after stopping eating meat. The effect has been known since the first 1960's vegetarian craze.

8. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

So lets just ignore all the research that clearly shows that global farmland use could be reduced by more than 75% – an area equivalent to the US, China, European Union and Australia combined – and still feed the world.

9. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

Ah yes that highly scientific term that's totally not not made up /s

I guess you ignore the fact that meat contains high amounts of arachidonic acid which has been proven to make your mood worse.

Some of you just love to talk absolute **** it really is something.....

10. RxR

Hitman

Vegetarian diet and mental disorders:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/#__ffn_sectitle

Vegetarian diet and depressive symptoms in men (Journal of Affective Disorders):

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032716323916

On the other hand, a more recent (2019) longitudinal study found no effect on positive or negative mental health except in Chinese subjects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30731282/

This is not to discount the positive physical health benefits that accrue differently depending on level of vegetarianism, as this 2019 review of many PubMed research articles in Nature states clearly enough:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41398-019-0552-0

Not eating any animal foods leads to vitamin B12 deficiency, and risks nerve damage (neuropathy) and anaemia, fatigue, etc. Which is why B12 supplements are recommended by the government health services to vegan / vegetarian pregnant women - to avoid the baby being born with the deficiency:

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/foods-high-in-vitamin-b12

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  11. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I love meat. If anything I’ll eat more now. Generally not red meat though. We have a meat free day in work and it’s grim.

12. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

I did, thanks. It was lovely. Merry Christmas.

13. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Same here. So much turkey!

14. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Me too! So delicious. No risk of B12 deficiency and blindness/depression and other awesome conditions either!

15. Troezar

Mobster

Picked up two turkeys for £7 each reduced from £30. Nice free range Norfolk Black's. Got some local beef and lamb in the freezer, tasty grass fed.

Bearing in mind all the scare stories, I'm remarkably healthy given all the meat I eat. That said we cook from scratch and buy decent ingredients and eat sensible portions. Having a few days where I wait eat when I feel fairly hungry doesn't hurt either. Love veg and salad too ;)

16. jpaul

Sgarrista

Veganisms so yesterday - there's a higher virtue signalling diet that encompasses local free range turkeys.

The low-carbon diet

My rejection of blueberries and well travelled vegetables, in preference to local alternatives, now has a label.

17. robj20

Sgarrista

We had Turkey, gammon and beef and it was amazing.
    Though the roasted parsnips were also amazing but I wouldn't want them to be the whole meal.

18. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

A question I want to ask Vegans is this (my daughter walked out of the room because she couldn't answer me) -

How do you feel about the extinction of cows, sheep, pigs and other edible animals?
    The three above can't live without man helping them, if man can't make money out of them they will all die off because nobody is going to look after them for nothing.
    The farmer will bugger them off and replace with carrots or similar.

So what's the answer, keep a few in a zoo?

19. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Eat them all.

20. nkata

Soldato

Another one, you've heard about the ethical vegan that won't take a bus to work in case it runs over an insect and kill it? What about when you're harvesting all those scrummy
    Veg and grains and kill worms, grubs, nesting birds and small mammals. Do you accept this animal sacrifice to your hunger?