1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storing PLA filament ?

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Loagi, 11 Sep 2021.

1. Loagi

Associate

We're not a particularly humid or hot country here in the UK, but is there anything I should be doing to keep my reels of PLA in good condition ?

I've seen various sealing bags with moisture absorbers but dunno if they are worth it here.

2. ScoobyDoo

Mobster

You need to seal it somehow otherwise the moisture in the air will make the PLA brittle and break. I just use vaccum bags with the little moisture bags in there and
    the PLA keeps perfectly.

3. Loagi

Associate

Thanks I've ordered a kit with some vacuum bags, a pump and desiccant packs. Silly question - do you keep your unused desiccant bags in a vacuum sealed bag to keep them 'unused' ?

4. andy_mk3

Capodecina

We do have a reasonably humid climate here. A few weeks in to open will ruin a roll of PLA.

5. ScoobyDoo

Mobster

I just keep them in a plastic bag but a vacuum one would be better

6. Gav_r26

Gangster

i use the 5l klipfresh boxes from Tesco. They fit a 1kg spool in nicely with some silica bags as well.

Klipfresh Box

7. LePhuronn

Soldato

How quickly do you get through your filament?

My house is so damp it's verging on wet yet it took over a year for my active spool of PLA to go funny. I surprisingly burned through a 2nd spool in about 4 months and it was perfectly fine.

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

On the flip side - between moving house and other reasons I left a roll of PLA on one of my 3D printers sitting in a corner and didn't touch it for ~2 years - it still *seems* to be fine. Not that I'd recommend that.