Strange noise - Stumped!

Associate
Hi all,

I'm genuinely puzzled with this one so hoping someone can help....

I have a high pitched sort of bearing noise that I get on a cold start, on cold days, which goes up and down with revs but disappears completely if I press the clutch pedal in. The noise does not happen when the engine is hot, or on a warmer days at all.

The noise also stops after about 30 seconds or so when everything has warmed up, sometimes lasts a bit longer.

You'll need volume up to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5CNc1K-FMQ

First thought - Release bearing but surely I'd only get that noise with the clutch pedal pressed in, not with it released?

Second thought - Input shaft bearing, though after speaking with a master tech at Volvo they told me they've never seen or heard of it before on this gearbox (M66), it's bulletproof apparently.

I noticed yesterday if I drop from 2nd to 1st again after initially pulling away I'll get it as well.

Car is a 2007 Volvo S40 T5 with 101,000 miles.

Thanks!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That was what input shaft bearing failure sounded like on my MKVIII Civic with the pedal up. I just stuck in a used box and new clutch & bearing to save faff.

Associate
OP
Damn it, that's both theories in two different answers :D

If it was the throw out bearing, wouldn't it be noisy with the clutch pedal down rather than up? And would it not be noisy all the time rather than only on cold mornings?

I also get a rattle when it's hot and been on a long run which I'm assuming is the springs in the DMF. I'm all up for doing the clutch as I was going to chuck a stronger S60R setup in that's good for 600nm of torque :)

What I dont want it to pay to have the clutch done then find out it's the box with the issue.....

Associate
I know on the mk8 civic if you hear a bearing noise when your foot is off the clutch pedal, then it means the input shaft bearing is on it's way out. If you get a bad noise when you press the clutch pedal down then it's the thrust bearing. I suspect it will get a lot louder before it gets worse though.

Permabanned
Damn it, that's both theories in two different answers :D

If it was the throw out bearing, wouldn't it be noisy with the clutch pedal down rather than up? And would it not be noisy all the time rather than only on cold mornings?

I also get a rattle when it's hot and been on a long run which I'm assuming is the springs in the DMF. I'm all up for doing the clutch as I was going to chuck a stronger S60R setup in that's good for 600nm of torque :)

What I dont want it to pay to have the clutch done then find out it's the box with the issue.....
the rattle is something else that depends on oil pressure, does it have a timing chain or a belt?

The clutch bearing might scream less when loaded as the slack is taken up and when hot because the track has expanded or the whole thing has heated up.

Anything making that sort of noise that changes when you push the clutch pedal is likely to be the bearing.

Associate
OP
the rattle is something else that depends on oil pressure, does it have a timing chain or a belt?

The clutch bearing might scream less when loaded as the slack is taken up and when hot because the track has expanded or the whole thing has heated up.

Anything making that sort of noise that changes when you push the clutch pedal is likely to be the bearing.

What bearing though? Release or input shaft?

It's got a belt, all belts and pulleys done at Volvo last year.

The rattle I'm pretty sure is the DMF or possibly also the bearing as the rattle also quietens right down when the clutch is pushed.

Back
Top Bottom