Striker II Extreme, QX9650, 4GB OCZ Platinum 1333 problems

Associate
I have just got a replacement motherboard to replace the failed Striker II Formula that I had previously.

I am having serious problems with getting this thing working though! I try to run the Vista Setup but everything goes really really really slowly in there. Also once the setup has expanded the files, installed feature,..., on the first screen, it then goes to reboot and then continue the setup afterwards. Once it reaches the setup again, the screen goes black after a while, and then I get a blue screen talking about driver power state failure.

What is this?

To get to the setup I have had to remove 1 stick of my memory, as I was getting IRQL and othr BSOD errors.

Also if I set voltages manually in the BIOS and then look at the voltage readings once they have taken effect, then I notice that the voltages are much higher than I set. For instance if I set a CPU VCORE of 1.2, then the BIOS reads 1.23.

Any ideas?

I am running BIOS 0402, as the beta BIOS 0508 won't load due to some ID number not been valid.

Soldato
Take a look over here here and here, lots of great information on the Striker II Extreme, I think the issue you're having with being able to flash the bios is a known problem, there's a workaround on there for it using awdflash.

Hope this helps. :)

Associate
OP
OK, so I have succesfully updated the BIOS to 0508 using awdflash.

I have set the voltages manually, and everything else looks ok in the BIOS setup.

Installing windows again results in BSODs.
"0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED | 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred."
"0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
"0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"
"0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I've had them all.

Any ideas on what to do next?
( I have yet to run memtest on my memory as I need to make the boot CD)

Permabanned
I posted it somewhere before, OCZ and the Striker Extreme did not get on (OCZ claim its to do with Bios), I woud assume its same for the Striker II Formula and Striker II Extreme as its a Non Ref Mobo and Bios (but also EVGA were mentioned).

I have seen many peeps on XS having issues with OCZ and changing to another brand.

You can read about it on the OCZ Forums in the Stickies.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I posted it somewhere before, OCZ and the Striker Extreme did not get on (OCZ claim its to do with Bios), I woud assume its same for the Striker II Formula and Striker II Extreme as its a Non Ref Mobo and Bios (but also EVGA were mentioned).

I have seen many peeps on XS having issues with OCZ and chaging to another brand.

You can read about it on the OCZ Forums in the Stickies.

Arh, bit of a problem then! This is probably why I was having all these problems with my S2F with the OCZ ReaperX modules.:confused:

Can you recommend me any DDR3 1333MHz 4GB kits that would work fine with this mobo? Or should I be safe with anything but OCZ?

thanks

Associate
OP
I have just done some searching around the various online retailers and no one seems to be offering much variety when it comes to DDR3. It all seems to be OCZ, and if its not, 4GB is about £300+++!

Crazy.

Associate
OP
what do you think of this?:

TW3X4G1333C9DHX | PC3-10666 | 4GB Kit | 9-9-9-24 | 240pin DIMM |£~183

what concerns me is that the latency of these sticks is quite a bit higher than my current OCZ RAM which runs at 7-7-7-20. Surely the OCZ is better, but if my board is not entirely compatible with this RAM then I guess I don't have much choice.:mad:

The other 4GB kits have lower latencies, but their prices are ridiculous!

Permabanned
I will get you help.

There is new 1600mhz 4GB Corsair kits due, (1 is Samsung based, other I dont know) and Cas 7 and Cas 8.

The reviews other day advises CAS 8 over CAS 7 for 790I (says you may/will get issues).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't yet know the retail pricing on the new kits, and I especially UK/EU pricing. But, keep an eye out for it if you are considering a change. The kits we released this week should suit you just fine.

Also, I would contact OCZ directly as their tech support guys usually do a good job on situations like this. It's worth a try to avoid having to buy more RAM.

Associate
OP
Thank you both for your help.

Here's an update:
I have managed to install Vista and am now writing this on the pc now! Amazing! Didn't think I would get this far.

However, I am running one stick and running the memory at 1066Mhz not 1333; not ideal.

Since changing the memory speed to 1066 I haven't been getting any BSODs, but before I did make the change (1333), I had been getting rather a lot of BSOD "0x9F (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE)" and "0x3 (Windows 2000 only) A pointer to the target device object Apointer to the device object The IRP The device driver did not properly set the IRP as "pending" or complete the IRP."
Strange, but the power related things on this motherboard don't appear right.

- I have just checked my device manager after installing the chipset drivers and there is a "unknown device". Looking at the details of this device tells me it has something to do with the ACPI. There is loads more information in that devices' properties...
- Also I have noticed that upon setting a voltage in the BIOS, a much larger reading appears in the BIOS voltage monitor. For instance if I set a memory voltage of 1.74V this reads as 1.80V after the save and reboot. This voltage scalling appears on all components.
- Does this indicate that something is wrong with the ACPI, MOSFETS, or other power related components? And if so, then I guess an RMA is in order.

I'll see how things go. Ideally I would like to put in the next stick of RAM in the motherboard, and also bump up the memory frequency.

Associate
OP
Ok, just tried the 2 sticks and BSOD BSOD BSOD BSOD BSOD BSOD.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

nothing will make them both work together. Upping the voltages, changing the slots they're in, slowing them down, relaxing timings....

What is going on?:confused:

This BIOS version I have installed 0508 (BETA), is this the latest one? Or is 0402 the more recent, as the Asus support websites dates suggest. Strange in itself.

Associate
OP
Sorry if I missed it above, have you installed SP-1 for Vista? If not, use the 1 module and install it and try again.

Haven't yet, but with both sticks in I can't even load into windows, therefore SP1 would be pointless I am guessing?

I have just found this quote from RyderOCZ on the OCZ forum: "Also, test 1 stick at a time...if 1 stick works right and the other doesn't, then we have certainly found the problem and need to get you some new ram."

Therefore as I can run 1 stick at 1333 @ 1.8V fine without any problems (thus far), I think I have a problem with my RAM. What would you say?

Associate
OP
IMO, the problem is back to Asus+OCZ, get refund on Ram and buy Corsair (Ya I know its ££ more).

So which is the best value for money 4GB kit to get then? (not familiar with corsair)

btw, I have just got one stick more stable by running a few less volts through it - was getting BSOD with one stick at 1.8V). I think i am on 1.76 as opposed to 1.8-1.82.

Associate
Just to confirm for you.
I am using 2x1GB Corsair 1600MHz Cas7 on this board with no issues (well SOMETHING gets downright stroppy above about 3.4GHz, but I'm 90% sure that's chipset voltages doing that, the RAM runs fine at least as far as 1700Mhz, which is where other things start to flake out).

Back
Top Bottom