Struggling to get 5.1 working

Soldato
Hi all

Got an ASUS P8-Z68 V LX mobo with optical out feeding into a Sony DAV DZ260 sound system through an optical switch.

The issue is that all the 'rear' sound just comes out of the equivalent (left or right) front speaker instead whenever running any audio tests.. even downloaded a file instead of an online one and played it in VLC... same result

Any ideas on anything to check please? Realtek stuff is all installed correctly but the manager for it seems a bit rubbish to be honest and doesn't actually seem to show any options for 5.1

Thanks!

WaVOnIV.jpg

Soldato
You need Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect to encode the audio stream with 5.1 in real time. Without Dolby Digital or DTS encoded audio stream, SPDIF is only capable of stereo.

You can get 5.1 when playing a DVD for example, as the DVD contains Dolby Digital or DTS tracks that are passed externally to be decoded. PC games though for the most part, don't use DD or DTS, that's why DDL or DTSC are needed to encode the stream in real time.

Looking at the specs of your board, neither DDL or DTSC is included according to the specs. There is a thread that has a link to a guide about how to get these enabled with pretty much any Realtek onboard audio using cracked drivers. Link

The hardware is capable on pretty much all boards with Realtek, it's just been disabled by manufacturers on all but their premium boards.

Some Windows updates have caused issues getting these to work though with cracked drivers. Probably worth trying, otherwise you'll need to buy a sound card, something like a Soundblaster Z.

Soldato
"SPDIF is only capable of stereo."

Wrong. SPDIF carries stereo and multi-channel audio.

Correct about DD/DTS Live though. If you are playing back CD's and your soundcard does not have live encoding, then your sony will receive 2 channel PCM. This is best anway.

For DTS/DD movies you should get DTS/DD lighting up on your Sony, just make sure you use MPC-HC and enable DD/DTS in pass through.

For games these are typically stereo, so that's all you will get unless you use Live feature.

I would recommend MPC-HC over VLC.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all responses

Unfortunately as said, no HDMI in... only out for playing DVDs from the Sony... It is quite an old system now but sounds AMAZING so I really don't want to replace it.

What seems to be my best option then? I am quite keen for the 5.1 to work for things like spotify/netflix etc... or do they not support it anyway?

Soldato
you don't need klite codec pack. In fact I would recommend you uninstall it. Just install MPC HC, press O, internal filters, audio decoder, select AC-3 & DTS.

You could try using it's own audio switcher, which I believe will upscale 2ch to 5.1.

Soldato
OP
you don't need klite codec pack. In fact I would recommend you uninstall it. Just install MPC HC, press O, internal filters, audio decoder, select AC-3 & DTS.

You could try using it's own audio switcher, which I believe will upscale 2ch to 5.1.
Am I correct in saying that will of course only work for stuff I play through MPC? So to get 5.1 for things like spotify, plex, etc ... The easiest thing would be to buy an appropriate sound card?

Soldato
same. If movies are pcm, then I want it sent to my av pre as pcm, if it's 5.1 DD/DTS it's sent to the av pre-amp the same.

The only reason why you would want upscaled audio is for gaming, I think the surround info upscaled at the source seems to work better than the avr doing it.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
OK thanks! Now I know what I'm looking for I'll have another search around

That one you linked unfortunately doesn't have the optical out that I need

Soldato
Soundblaster Z has both, or there's the Xonar DSX which has just DTS. SB Z is the better card though.

Actually just looking at the DSX, it's nearly £60! ****, the DS was about £37, same card just that was PCI rather than PCIe. Crazy price, DX and SB Z OEM are better cards for little to no more.

Back
Top Bottom