Struggling to keep eyes open in office

Soldato
As title, just started a new job in the I.T. Industry, liking it, as been trying to get into the industry for years. Previous job was in a lab.

But I'm finding it almost impossible to keep my eyes open, not from tiredness, but....like the heat of the office room or something, it like hurts, to keep them open, also it's like a reflex action or something?....like when u look at the sun and it glares and you cannot help but close your eyes instantly. This never happened in my old job.

I'm finding it incredibly frustrating, as I really do find the job interesting but I don't want to give the wrong impression that I'm bored! lol, it's so annoying I have to blink loads, close one eye, the urge to close them is almost to much.

I don't think it's the screen, my home pc i never get this, nor do I now writing on my iPad....confused :confused: :(

Soldato
Could be the lights - I used to get this - the flickering of the lights would just make it so hard to keep my eyes open, when the sun came out and brightened the room, it was like unbelievably relaxing on the eyes.

Soldato
Flux is a brilliant bit of kit - I use it and really find it benefits me when working late at night; I'm definately not as 'wired' as before :)

Soldato
OP: have you tried turning down the brightness of screens etc. i know some people who cant stand white screens and they used to be bad for you back in the days of CRT monitors as they could burn your eyes.

when coding i change background colours to medium grey so it doesnt burn my eyes

Associate
Drink about 3 cups of tea in the morning, then have lunch, then one or two cups of coffee in the afternoon.

Thats worked for me for the last few years^

Associate
Flux is a brilliant bit of kit - I use it and really find it benefits me when working late at night; I'm definately not as 'wired' as before :)

+1 Flux is immense, I have it set to night time all the time now. So much easier on the eyes

Associate
I had the same thing for about a two weeks, to the point where I could barely work. I went to work but didn't go on the computer when I went home and got a good 10 hours sleep each night. I did that for about a week and a bit and was back to normal.

I think it was a combination of my eyes being dry, and exhasution from constant bright monitors.

Soldato
You might just need to get used to it. I've just started work yesterday after being off for 4 weeks with viral meningitis. Aside from post viral fatigue, the doctor said it's perfectly normal to expect to be exhausted very quickly. So I decided to go back and just do half days for a couple of weeks until I'm back up to speed again. Worked 9-1 yesterday and today and by 1 o' clock I was spent. You'll just need to get used to it I think.

Soldato
Oh, and as far as a dietary explanation... do try to avoid fast carbs, and go for 'healthier' foods... wholemeal/wholegrain, avoid white bread/rice/sugar/starch/pasta so you don't get spikes, but it's not that big a thing...

Soldato
I find a combination of warm air from air conditioning heating/office lighting and staring at my laptop screen has the same effect as you describe, I generally take a walk out in some fresh air to perk me up if I get too bad.

Caporegime
8z4njr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom