DELETED_3139

Soldato
You have a time machine to see what that website said 8 years ago?

Isn't even the proper government website.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/student-visas

That actually says you can work whilst in study.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa

I am fairly certain a student visa used to automatically (or at least it was just some paperwork) give you the right to work for something like 2 years after completion of the course.

edit:

Here is an article on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-visas-overseas-graduates-say-uk-universities

Last edited:
Soldato
No time machine and thanks for your links which state students can work while studying which is entirely fair to help pay living costs as many/most students try to do, but the 2 example people in the article are clearly post study now and wanting to settle in the UK. I guess its entirely possible the rules changed and they have a former type of visa that allowed post study work but I wouldn't be sure if that was the case as I doubt rules have changed much in the last 10 years.

Yeh immigration reform is unlikely to have happened in the last 10 years. Doesn't sound that important.

Associate
Why would we not grant a right to stay to someone who has studied at university level and managed to find good work over here?

Caporegime
Why would we not grant a right to stay to someone who has studied at university level and managed to find good work over here?

Exactly, seems like a no brainer, someone whose parents or government have funded the 20k a year international fees for a degree from a UK university doesn't exactly seem high on the list of people we ought to be sending away, if anything we ought to be welcoming degree educated immigrants. Especially post grads or medical grads.

I mean, bloody immigrants, coming over here, with rich parents or foreign governments funding their medical degree... wanting to work in our NHS and save British lives... what a cheek eh?

Frankly anyone earning a medical degree, PhD or a decent masters degree ought to be given automatic residency for up to 5 years (or whatever the time period is required for them to earn permanent residency status).

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
From what I understand being on a student visa does not directly count as time towards gaining ILR, but they can keep renewing their student visa and after 10 years then can apply for ILR. Or they can get sponsored for another visa which does count towards ILR. Either way its definitely a 'gateway' to settling in the UK and anyone caught cheating should be sent back.

Just read some UK immigration forums...its full off Indians/Pakistanis trying to find any way whatsoever to come over to the UK. Wish they would stay as far away as possible.

Soldato
No time machine and thanks for your links which state students can work while studying which is entirely fair to help pay living costs as many/most students try to do, but the 2 example people in the article are clearly post study now and wanting to settle in the UK. I guess its entirely possible the rules changed and they have a former type of visa that allowed post study work but I wouldn't be sure if that was the case as I doubt rules have changed much in the last 10 years.

Studying in the UK used to grant 2 years of post study work. However that changed a number of years ago.

Tier 2 work permits are tough as hell to get these days with the high salary requirements which invariably means that the UK is not the destination of choice for those wishing to use a student visa as their tool of permanent migration.Australia and Canada fill that void.

Sure there are many people that just want to get to the UK and have every intention of clearing immigration and then going illegal after not studying at all.

A very good friend if mine is a senior director in ETS and to this day the company is still feeling the tremors from the UK cancelling the eligibility of its English test examinations.

Caporegime
People come to the UK under the pretences to study every single day. It's an effective back door way of skipping the system.
There's probably 100s of sham collages (just in London) taking fees for faking and countersigning documents to allow "students" to work while they "study" in the UK.
It's a very lucrative scummy trade.

Soldato
You have a time machine to see what that website said 8 years ago?

Isn't even the proper government website.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/student-visas

That actually says you can work whilst in study.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa

I am fairly certain a student visa used to automatically (or at least it was just some paperwork) give you the right to work for something like 2 years after completion of the course.

edit:

Here is an article on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-visas-overseas-graduates-say-uk-universities

https://archive.org/web/

Soldato
People come to the UK under the pretences to study every single day. It's an effective back door way of skipping the system.
There's probably 100s of sham collages (just in London) taking fees for faking and countersigning documents to allow "students" to work while they "study" in the UK.
It's a very lucrative scummy trade.

Here's a full list of ~1200 eligible tier 4 sponsors.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...92/2019-04-26_Tier_4_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf

Which ones are the 100s of sham colleges in London.

80% of that list looks like actual universities (HEI) and private schools for children (independent school).

I look forward to your list.

Caporegime
Was there no way of ordering them just by London?

I'm also thrilled that they finally got their act together and it looks much more regulated than just a few years ago.

i might have got my wires crossed when I specifically said education.
Maybe im thinking of all the bull**** companies that are created to "sponsor" applications.

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../2019-04-26_Tier_2_5_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf

You certainly know more about this than me. Maybe I'm just jaded coming from Romford/Ilford/Stratford area and watching too many episodes of Border Force UK :p
r a c i s t !

Last edited:
Soldato
and two, why should we when that job could easily be filled by UK born graduates of which we have plenty many of which aren't getting good jobs?

Many of them aren't doing degrees that set themselves up for work. If you choose a very niche degree, or something that clearly there isn't much demand for, then you're going to struggle to land a job when you finish.

Soldato
These English tests should be run and administered by the government with strict ID requirements for candidates and routine biometric tests and with the whole cost of running the exams being met by the applicants.

This is what happens when you rely on probably the lowest bidding third party organisations to deal with such matters.

Soldato

That rather depends on what they studied , whether it's relevant to the job the wish to take up in the UK and what your defintion of 'good work' is.

Subject to the above criteria the UK goverment may well wish to extend the right to stay to some students. But it doesn't seem appropriate to extend such a right universally and it would inevitably be (ab) used to some degree by more well heeled prospective applicants as primarily a way of securing residence in the country even if they aren't utilising an explicitly fraudent course or entry exam.

The UK, I suggest, should look to move towards a net neutral immigration system for all types of visa applicants.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The question is why would you NOT want highly educated students to settle and work here?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Many of them aren't doing degrees that set themselves up for work. If you choose a very niche degree, or something that clearly there isn't much demand for, then you're going to struggle to land a job when you finish.

Hardly anyone enters a profession that their degree was in (excluding the obvious like teaching, medical and law). The most common degree among in banking is history iirc. It's not only the subject that's of value but also the graduate "soft" skills that are beneficial to employers.

Back
Top Bottom