Stupid MOT question

Soldato
Bought a second hand car through a friend (he was acting as a go-between). The original owner had a personalised number plate, which she removed before selling the car, replacing it with the original.

Problem is the MOT certificate I have has the old registration number on. Tax runs out at the end of the month. Will the fact that the existing MOT certificate shows a different registration number than the one on the V5C/2 cause problems if I try to buy at the post office? If so, what actions can I take to resolve this.

Googled but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
Yes, it will cause issues. The original owner will have been issued with a new MOT certificate as part of the plate transfer process. The old one is now useless scrap paper.

Any MOT test centre can provide you with a duplicate of the correct certificate - but you'll need the V5C document registration number in order to do this. They can charge £10.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
It'll show up as MOT'd on the database though, so shouldn't be a problem? I don't think they even asked for the MOT certificate last time I taxed mine at the post office.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21474125 said:
Because if he has recently purchased the car then he cannot use the online/telephone service because the DVLA database has yet to update correctly with his details.

Yeah, i figured that but he may get it all through the post in time :p

Soldato
If the stuff doesn't arrive in time then like said above you can try the post office and hope they don't check, they can only say no, ive had them do tax discs when given an outdated insurance policy certificate before now, if their in a lazy mood they may just check for the presence of the piece of paper.

Man of Honour
If the stuff doesn't arrive in time then like said above you can try the post office and hope they don't check, they can only say no, ive had them do tax discs when given an outdated insurance policy certificate before now, if their in a lazy mood they may just check for the presence of the piece of paper.

Why bother with this when you can just get a duplicate certificate?

Man of Honour
Yup, panic over.

Rubbish.

If you have a vehicle tax reminder (V11 form), bring this form to your nearest Vehicle Licence issuing Post Office® branch along with:

a valid insurance certificate or cover note – photocopies, renewal invitations, policy receipts or schedules cannot be used

a valid MOT (Vehicle Test Certificate) if required – your vehicle tax reminder will tell you if you need this. Your MOT must be valid on the date from which the tax disk starts or the date the tax disk is issued whichever is the later.

The fact that they sometimes forget to check doesn't mean its 'panic over' at all. Officially, you must present your MOT certificate when taxing your car. I taxed mine at the Post Office last year and they required the MOT certificate.

Quite why this thread is still going on I've no idea - I've already explained all he needs to do is obtain a duplicate MOT certificate from any MOT test station!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21476705 said:
Rubbish.

The fact that they sometimes forget to check doesn't mean its 'panic over' at all. Officially, you must present your MOT certificate when taxing your car. I taxed mine at the Post Office last year and they required the MOT certificate.

If only i'd taxed a car in the last week and not had the mot certificate with me. If only the woman had scanned the slip and it checked the mot database and confirmed the car had mot without the actual certificate being present.

Oh wait, i did.

Man of Honour
Its there in black and white. I was also asked for my MOT certificate when I taxed mine last year.

Who to beleive? SB118 or the Post Office themselves. TOUGH CALL :eek:

I'm not saying they didn't - just that they shouldn't and you therefore cannot rely on that.

Especially when getting a duplicate is mind numbingly easy.

Soldato
Instead of making a new thread a quick MOT-related question if I may.

If you MOT a car early and it fails can you still legally drive it with the previous MOT which has yet to expire?

This seems illogical as your car has been classed as unroadworthy but the law isn't always logical!

Soldato
IIRC the failed MOT test doesn't invalidate the standing one, however it is an offence to knowingly drive a vehicle on the roads that is not in roadworthy condition.

Back
Top Bottom