Sub-£1k machine

Associate
Hi,

after the usual advice, what's the best options I can get for under £1k (preferably for 55p and a used crisp packet...).

My current machine is from 2011. For giggles here's the specs
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
4GB RAM
256 GB SSD
2TB spinning rust
AMD Radeon HD 6700 1GB
500W noname PSU
Thermaltake Case, with a CDROM, and a partially working front-USB ports (but that could be the connections to the mobo).

I will re-use my monitors, mice and perhaps keyboard (but that is PS2, so maybe not...). Out of the rest I assume the only re-usable part is the case and the harddrive.

I have no intention at the moment to do anything in 4k, so 1440p max. I would like to play some newer games, but considering my current setup super-high FPS is not critical. My kids may want to plug their Quest2 into the machine to try that out, and I may want to do some basic video and photo editing, or playing round with some CAD (occasional play rather than production). Considering the current setup has lasted 11 years with only a SSD upgrade and replacement PSU, longevity is probably important; I want it to be good for 5 years. I would probably prefer to use Win10 (and maybe a dual boot into Linux) for the moment; I've always kept well away from the bleeding edge of OS upgrades.

Checking my post history I asked a very similar question back in January 2020. At the time I decided to wait a month or so to hopefully see some drops in GPU prices; then some worldwide pandemic hit and prices went the wrong way.

I've read a couple of recent posts that suggest that incoming new architecture is likely to push the prices of the existing kit down. But then I see news articles about China-Taiwan relations, continuing global chip shortages, and inflation at 10%; and I think that waiting may not be in my best interests again.

I had specced up the following so far

Total: £571.00 (includes delivery: £11.10)​

But stuck on the GPU.
I also note that the bundle I chose doesn't have a cooler included, so would need to add extra for this. I did look at the 5700x, but that seems to be out of stock at OC, and ~£275 elsewhere.

Off the wall question, would my old Radeon GPU work on the newer kit if I sourced and built the rest of the components? I'm assuming the ports would be incompatible, but it saves on getting a CPU with onboard graphics if I do decide to wait for changes in the GPU market.

Soldato
Your old graphics card will be fine, PCI-E is backwards compatible with older standards.

AMD is due to release it's 7000 series desktop processors soon are you sure you want to buy now as AM4 is a bit dated and is being surpassed with AM5 which has PCI-E 5.0 and DDR5.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response. No, I'm not sure I want to buy now (I've waited 2.5 years so far...), but my reasoning is as follows:-
I tend to stay away from the latest and greatest as it often has niggles that need ironing out (seems power increases are needed with the AM5) and the cost is often much higher. AM5 may push down the cost of the AM4 kit, but inflation and other issues may push it the other way. Partly nervous about waiting as last time I watched the prices rise rapidly.

Associate
Here is an AMD based build for you to think about. Can easily swap things around to your liking but it does show that you can build a very capable PC within your budget. Not everything is in stock, like you do mention stock is an issue for some components at the moment.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £998.08 (includes delivery: £13.20)​

the RX 6600 for £250 is the best value gpu at the moment. If you have more of your budget to spend on a gpu then the 3060ti Founders Edition direct from Nvidia is great value for £370 but they are only in stock on certain occasions.

Great video here showing the sort of performance you can expect from a 6600.

You should also be thinking about a system with a 12400f or even a 12100f , saving money on the cpu can help you put more money into the gpu and that almost always leads to better gaming performance.

Like you mention there is the imminent release for AM5 but inflation is hitting everything and that is likely to be outside your budget for a year or so. The AM5 release may lead to a lot of second hand AM4 5600x/5800x all hitting the market and if at the right price it is something to consider.
I do not have a crystal ball for Taiwan but I am very concerned for that country and what it will mean for the PC industry

Man of Honour

Might just squeeze in a 6700 fighter (320) if could get the 5600 on offer @ £150ish (was barely a week ago it was this price) and get a cheaper motherboard, or cheaper case.

If really needing to hit under budget, can get H610 boards as low as £60 now too, which would be fine with a 12100F, or a 12400F (with downdraft cooler or decent airflow).

If going Intel would be fine to shave a few quid with the TeamGroup Vulcan 3200 Mhz kit @ £90

About the old radeon: physically it will fit and should work in that respect, but you can have issues with old cards sometimes if they aren't UEFI compatible, but you could enable CSM which might help. Adding an IGP for Intel can add £20-£30 to the build cost and with AMD you currently have to make a different choice of CPU which is not ideal as they're a bit slower than the ones without.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom