Sub contract work while permanent employee?

Associate
I work as a permanent employee at a company, but have been offered some sub contract work for a different organisation. Before accepting this I will be up front with my employers and ask their permission, but wondered if anyone had any experience of this and whether or not they got any resistance from their current employers?

The work is in the same are as what I do now and it is not for a competitor. It will also be set times outside of my working hours (although this is a grey area because I work "flexible" hours at the moment) and I will not be using any company property to do the work.

Also, if anybody does have experience of this how do you go about getting paid and paying tax etc? I suspect I have to set up a limited company and invoice new company for the sub contract work? Would I then continue to PAYE tax from my current job and pay the additional tax via self assessment or move completely to self assessment?

Caporegime
I wouldn't inform my employer personally if there's no risk of conflict of interest, you have the right to earn a living.

You still would be paying tax through paye for your normal employment.

Back
Top Bottom