1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sugar Tax, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Orionaut, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Its perfectly simple and its ****ing meat for christs sake you csn be hilsrilusly out with your measurements and still make little difference.

For 100g of 15%beef mince youre loooking at about 190kcal.

Round it to 200 there you go job done.

All you have to do now for all future beef mince purchases is take 100g as 200cal.

Sorted nice and sinple for you jist weigh the patty

2. Glaucus

Man of Honour

oh god, meats and veg are easily estimated, mean there's even apps out there like my fitness pal. any standard meat and veg you will be able to find.

3. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

OK then, part 2 - How much exercise must be done to cancel out those calories and how should that be measured...?

4. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Why are we arguing about this? The claim was that everything is labelled with nutritional info. The rebuttal is that no it isn't. Counter claiming that you can trivially find that info online is not the same as that food being labelled.

5. Tefal

Capo Crimine

none what so ever, absolutely none at all.

why the hell would you do exercise to burn excess calories you ate?

just dont eat the excess.

there's a million calculators for a rough BMR (if you're an average reasonably active male you can just estimate 2,200). eat close to that see if you gain or lose any weight after 2 weeks, if you gain eat a little less if you lose less than or equal to 2ln a week your good.

6. Tefal

Capo Crimine

loose items the info has to be available.

like i said ask the butcher, but its easier to just google as it takes a whole 5 seconds.

7. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Well, I assume chocolate cake tastes good and one might simply want some... but that's just me.

But if you're not and your life activities do not follow a particular pattern, or are irregular, what then? How do you calculate all this or even figure out what's going on?

Also, how do you cope with hunger, incidentally?
    Eating less makes you (well, me, anyway) hungry... what's the best way to cope?

I can't say I've ever noticed calorific info specified on any loose carrot or mushroom, from Morrisons, to Waitrose, to local butchers... Country of origin, sure, but this??!!

Does bone weight and fat content have any impact?

Also, do you have anything to do with the Tefal cooking appliance range, or is this thread just an amusing coincidence?

8. D.P.

Caporegime

Its simple, if you put on weight over 3-4 week period then you are eating too many calories or not exercising enough. Make some adjustments and keep an eye on things. There is really no need to measure calories at all, and absolutely no need to ever correlate calories consumed to calories burned within a short window of time. The only thing that matters is long term averages.
    If you want to go on some strict diet to manage weight loss then it may be beneficial but there is no need to do that. Simply get on the scales once a a week and keep track of your average weight.

Lots of ways of dealing with hunger, such as eat food and not worry about it unless you are gaining weight. If you are gaining weight and are suffering from consistent hunger issues then there are simple tricks like drinking more water, especially before eating to make your stomach feel full. You can also eat things like salads that are quite bulky but low in calories. You also never have to wait until some prescribed time to eat your next meal. If you are hungry just go and eat your lunch early, that is what i'm about to do.

9. D.P.

Caporegime

No, I eat when i'm hungry. Hunger is normally a sign that your bodies requires additional calories or nutrients, i don't want to deny my body, especially when training

10. D.P.

Caporegime

None, no need.

Why do you seem to be making everything so complicated.

11. asim18

Capodecina

I love how everything needs to be precisely quantified.

You cannot simply have a common formula for how much exercise everybody needs to do to burn a specific amount of energy they ate lmao.

Firstly if you're fat and your jaw weighs 30 kilos, you'll need more energy just to eat food. That's why some morbidly obese people have no choice but to eat while lying down because the muscle of the jaw cannot cannot overcome gravity. This is one thing fat people seem to forget.

Imagine being so heavy that standing up is like doing a deadlift. That is why you cannot quantify how much exercise one needs.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  12. Tefal

Capo Crimine

they do taste yummy, still don't need to exercise though unless you regularly eat loads of the stuff.

2000 then, done nice an simple.

simple as, if you lose too much weight up it after a month or two.

drink water helps, your body is stupid and doesn't actually know the difference between hunger and thirst at first (often when you're hungry you're actually just a little bit thirsty) otherwise theres loads of low calorie crap you can eat by the mountain. you can make a few good chunky soups with veg where a whole pan is only a 100 calories or so. then theres things like protein shakes, they make you feel full with have almost xzero impact on body weight (you'll **** out excess amino acids) and will help balance things out if your getting most calories from sugar i ncakes.

it should be available from the shop, if you check the supermarket websites for the loose stuff they actually have it there. its usual printed somewhere on the massive sacks they tip them out of.

but myfitness pal works well. or you can cheat and just steal the info of a packaged item of the same type ()ie bagged onions will have the nutritional info on them which you can use for loose)

but again google or mfp is very quick.
    when it comes to meat tbh no.

for weight loss just count the bone weight as meat and hey you've actually ate a few less calories than you thought building up a margin for yourself.

if your body building and aiming for some ludicrous protein goal you'd have to deduct the bone weight but meh effort.

fat content can me an issue so thats why i gave you 200kcal for 100g of mince that's 15% mince which normally most people done use, most use lean mince for sauces and maybe rarely 20% for home burgers (really good though) so its a happy middle again over estimating is a good policy for weight loss.

just take every kcal number and round it up to an easy o remember one, this way you build in a good margin for error on weights.

i was making toast when i signed up years ago and couldn't think of a user name so just copied the toasters name

if you spend 5 mins on of make a little cheat sheet of your common used items all per 100g, then you just take however many grams you use divide by 100 and times it by the number of calories to get your amount

ie beef mince =200kcal

i use 750g so i just times 200 by 7.5 =1,500 kcal easy )

i used to do all the callorie counting stuf but haven't bothered this whole year. actually lost weight but a bit of that will be muscle cause i dont work out any more

13. Tefal

Capo Crimine

basicaly treat it like watering a plant, theres no fixed amount its just what you need.

if you gain weight over 2 weeks, cut some food out, if you lose yay

14. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Because back when I tried it the simple way (ie cutting down food intake) it saw me gain weight and I got bombarded by the OCUK Elite and all their calculations and formulae and weight apps, along with the "you're breaking the laws of thermodynamics" crap - Clearly I'm not. Their instructions just didn't work.

Shopping is hell at the best of times. Do I really have to double the duration by Googling everything, walking around with a smartphone plastered to my face and checking every single thing on a spreadsheet?

What were people saying about making things complicated, again...? :p

15. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Why would you do it in the shop?

Pretty much every recipe on bbc and all the other recipe sites has nutritional info on it so if youre cooking from a recipe use that.

It really isnt complicated youre making it complicated.

On mfp you can put in your own recipe and it will work out everything for you per portion.

Once theyrr all saved just click add.

For busicuits and things scsn the barcode and add the number youve had and done.

Then every subsequent time you just pic it off the list.

For you since you seam t struggle plate up your nornal meal tske 1/5th of it away.

There you go do for all meals and snacks and youll lose weight

16. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Try mfp its free it will work out all your goals etc for you and if you like you csn even enter excerxise and it will work out a deduction for you

17. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Or give up completley eat 4 huel shskes a day and nothing else

18. Glaucus

Man of Honour

what you were likely doing is vastly under estimating weight of food, or searching mfp or what ever you where using for the lost calories per 100g.
    humans are extremely rubbish at estimating calorific intake and weight of food.

simply weight loss is hard very hard, both physiological and mentally, which is why most of us fail repeatedly. if you do feel hungry all the time, then a low carb high fat diet works wonders as long as you strictly keep to it, which month after month is hard, but it very much does depress appetite.

high sugar foods I general wont do you any good whilst losing weight for a variety of reasons, blood sugar levels and cravings, sugar always gets a dopamine reward unlike other foods, you actually get used to sugar and need more to make things seem sweet, if you give up sugar its amazing how sweet something like an apple becomes.

and no you don't need to be like that in the shop. after a month or so of tacking you'll get a good idea of what calories things have and for anything pre made, just check the labels. If you track be honest, no point I you aren't.

19. Tefal

Capo Crimine

this is actually ture i didn't believe it but after about a week of no biscuits etc iwas eating an apple day and they taste ****ing amazing.

20. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

It's more the whole idea of consulting charts and listings and things every time I just want something to eat, really.
    It's less hassle speccing up a series of pipe liners!!

Apparently that would then be too few calories and then we're into breaking the laws of physics again...

I went from three meals a day to one.
    Regardless of how badly I estimated, that should have resulted in a weight reduction, not a gain, no?
    Calories in vs calories out, as everyone keeps insisting...

For the most part, I already am on one of those nowadays. Not quite so high in fat, though. I don't usually start to get hungry until about 8pm, but it hits quite suddenly. Same for the few times when it hits during the day, but I just ignore those.