1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sugar Tax, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Orionaut, Oct 26, 2015.

1. ttaskmaster

Soldato

Coffee, sometimes tea, occasionally Vimto squash.

No alcohol, really. My last six-pack lasted over a year and half of those were nabbed by visitors. The other three were thrown out as they went past their date!

I'd have to check, but last time I was about 13st something.

2. Noxvayl

Gangster

Metabolism is a MAJOR factor in your ability to maintain your weight. Your body type also dictates what your healthy weight range is, something BMI is not very good at understanding.

I'm an outlier in the general population, however I have been 88kg (~13st) and am now 66kg (~10st); those are my extreme weights. Is my current weight good? Well no not necessarily... BMI says that it is for me, in fact I'm well into the good zone, too close to the underweight zone for my liking though. I believe the reason is because I'm more stressed than I have ever been before in my life and I am back to my school days of lots of sport, squash in particular. I am consuming lots of energy, which helps.

My body type is ectomorph and I have a fast metabolism. These two things mean that I can very easily maintain my body weight. the other body types are less likely to have fast metabolism as well, so I got lucky on two health counts genetically.

On the other end of the spectrum is my sister; she is unfortunately an endomorph and isn't blessed with a fast metabolism to counter the body type. She works ridiculously hard on her diet and daily exercise routine to maintain what would be considered by BMI a weight above what is recommended. She is shorter and heavier than me, while she eats a similar amount of food to what I do (3000+ calories a day) which tends to factor against you with BMI calcs.

Biology works for me and against my sister. She deals with it well, most people in the world don't. Which is why I find legislating to try and tackle people becoming overweight too easily quite weird. I am against a sugar tax because I find it pointless; similar methods have been used in Africa to no avail so I laugh at "first world" countries tackling problems with the same ineffective methods. To me it seems more like a money grab to help the balance sheet of Government Incorporated... I'm digressing now.

I'm saying all this because the last time I was 66kg I was sick, life threateningly sick. Hence this is a weight I do not consider healthy. What is and isn't healthy is highly specific to you and your current circumstances. Eating one meal a day does not sound at all healthy to me, but people have lived through worse many times in history, so have fun fella.

The dieting thing, I dislike it. Mainly because I am lucky enough not to have to bother with it, but also because the amount of money, time and effort spent on it in my family is alarming. The results are the same for them as it is for me; weight goes up and down and hovers in a similar threshold through your life stage (1. 20-40yrs, 2. 40-55yrs and 3. 55+yrs). trend lines are important, which is why I like to track data about myself to see how changes I am making are impacting my life. Weight is a simple measurement but I also get simple blood tests 4 times a year so I can spot something going wrong before it becomes life threatening again...

3. ttaskmaster

Soldato

It's mostly what situations dictate and I've forced myself to accept it.
    Not so long ago, I could have a full 17" pizza to myself and still be hungry by dinnertime. My metabolism was nice and fast.
    It's only when I cut down on meals to save money that I started putting weight on. I also found a sudden weight gain after quitting smoking, but I replaced that with vaping rather than snacking like you'd expect.

4. Noxvayl

Gangster

Perhaps smoking was helping with the metabolism then... still couldn't imagine eating such a small amount of food on a daily basis. I'd rather sell my computer bits and not watch TV to fund my diet.

5. Noxvayl

Gangster

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. Energize

Caporegime

Video doesn't play.

Is sugar a drug? By definition, no.

Better not eat any fruit!

7. ttaskmaster

Soldato

I always thought it was supposed to surpress it?

You kinda get used to it and learn to ignore the hunger pains.

I did the opposite - Gave up food so I could buy some decent PC kit! :D

8. Noxvayl

Gangster

Depends on your definition... mine is it artificially increases your dopamine levels in the brain, without any drop in its reward over time. Hence you can easily find that sugary foods take up more and more of your diet over time.

Not the same scale as "hard" drugs, but still the same reward imbalance within your brain.

Fruit comes with fibre that helps your body, along with many other bits. Sweets, drinks and sweet tasting foods that are artificail do not :p

9. Noxvayl

Gangster

All smokers I know are thin... and I thought the opposite, that your metabolism increases with nicotine consumption.

Stress definitely does increase your metabolism though. I guess I relate smoking with added chemical stress to my body.

10. ttaskmaster

Soldato

I meant appetite, which is probably related to metabolism as I didn't get so hungry when I was smoking, while still being 9st and underweight while still chowing on big-ass pizzas and Fatty Arbuckle's specials!!

Just weird that this is the least I've ever eaten, but without even trying is the most I've ever weighed, whereas I'd previously struggled to put any pounds on!!

11. Energize

Caporegime

Well by any formal definition, the word "drug" excludes food, all food has the potential to alter neurotransmitter levels in some way by different pathways.

12. Noxvayl

Gangster

So sugar is a food then? As far as I am aware it is a constituent of some foods, artificially in most cases these days.

I'm getting pedantic here, which I don't like. My point was simple; we should recognise sugar's effect on our chemistry and be more careful about how we consume sugar. The definition is a moot point; it doesn't really matter, so long as you don't get stupid and think it is "natural" and therefore not that bad for you.

13. Energize

Caporegime

Of course sugar is a food, it's present in many natural foodstuffs and we have extensive metabolic pathways for processing it, all carbohydrates are broken down to sugars in our gut. Our brain directly runs off sugar so we would die without glucose in our blood...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  14. Noxvayl

Gangster

I know we convert carbs to glucose, but we don't need to consume glucose in order to survive.

I'm guessing garlic doesn't qualify as a drug then, since it is food, but happens to be an antibiotic as well.

15. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Coco pops have been ruined. I hate our government and what this country has become.

16. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

So does hugging and watching videos of cute animals on social media. Nobody develops an addiction to spooning table sugar - people gravitate towards hyperpalatable foods which typically contain a combination of sugars and fats and have sweet/salty flavour combinations because they taste good. Your body doesn't know you're in a time of virtually unlimited cheap food and survival isn't an issue, so ignoring liquid calories which bypass satiety mechanisms, it's quite happy for you to consume loads of high energy food because extra fat = better chance of survival in times of famine.

Would suggest everyone read The Hungry Brain by Stephan J. Guyenet, Ph.D.

17. nicknack35

Wise Guy

Everything in Moderation and not over doing it. There is good sugars and bad sugars just like Fat good fats and bad fats just like carbs. Knowing a good balanced diet is not hard i used to weigh 18 half stone few years ago now im 12 and half and alot of that was doing alot of research going to the Gym

18. RDM

Capodecina

I am not sure if there are good and bad sugars, it is just sugar.

19. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Ultimately all sugars are converted to glucose in our system, but fructose is more work to process than sucrose. You end up getting the same amount of sweet for a lower number of calories.

20. krooton

Capodecina

Wah? All carbs are 4 calories per gram, doesn't matter if it is fructose, glucose, lactose, starch, etc. Unless you are referring to the thermic effect based on the effort to digest different carbs, which is totally negligible.