Suggest a PC games controller for a newbie.

Associate
I'm an older geezer completely new to gaming so needing advice.
I've got my GTX 1060, extra ram, 2 SSDs and extra cooling all installed and the more demanding games I've downloaded and installed so far are running more than fast enough, it's just a pity my fingers don't match when using the various keys on the keyboard so I'm thinking a controller might possibly be better for me than my fingers + keyboard and mouse.

Can anyone suggest a decent starter controller that would work with a PC but won't break the bank so that I can give it a whirl to see if I can get on with one?

Cheers.

Also is it worth investing in a gaming mouse?

Associate
Xbox, Playstation (via DS4 software) and Steam controller are all not high budget and will work on PC. The Steam controller is difficult to get used to, but apparently is rewarding if you do.
What you will prefer is very personal to you. I think Xbox or Playstation controllers are immediately intuitive, and you'll probably grow to like best the one you start using for any length of time.

I don't think you need a gaming mouse, just use whatever mouse you are comfortable with. If using a wired mouse a mouse bungee is very useful (I wouldn't do without one for my normal mouse).

Soldato
Xbox one controller for sure.

They're Bluetooth, so easy to set up, and most games are directly compatible, including on-screen referencing the actual Xbox controller buttons.

They're also really nice to use. Best controller I've ever used.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys...just the kind of advice I wanted.
Just looked them up and it seems I can get a regular Xbox one controller for around or just under £50 so that's fine and if I can't get on with it, at least I haven't wasted a fortune though I suspect that with sufficient practice in using it, it could be just what I need.

Associate
I use a Logitech Gamepad F310. You can pick one of these up for around £25. They also have pc/xbox style buttons on them but configured more in the style of a ps4 which is what im used to. Good quality gamepad from a good brand IMO. You can pick up a non wired version as well for a bit more money.

Associate
Hi dude... Not sure if it's what your after but when I got tired of my keyboard I tryed a razer orb weaver. If your not sure what it is dude just Google it. Anyway I can tell you after using keyboards for over 20 years I found the orb weaver a step up... Wish I had bought one years a go.. Don't use my keyboard much at all now.. Anyway good luck with what you are looking for chap...

Associate
OP
Hi dude... Not sure if it's what your after but when I got tired of my keyboard I tryed a razer orb weaver. If your not sure what it is dude just Google it. Anyway I can tell you after using keyboards for over 20 years I found the orb weaver a step up... Wish I had bought one years a go.. Don't use my keyboard much at all now.. Anyway good luck with what you are looking for chap...

Cheers bud and thanks for taking the time to give me a heads-up. That Razor Orbweaver looks like a nice piece of kit.

Associate
Yea. The orbweaver might look like a small version of a keyboard but in reality the keys are bigger which in my case find easier to access more keys when I need them I play a lot of fps so you can really get all the bindings you need in the reach of 1 hand ..

Associate
Xbox one controller for sure.

I get actual pain using an Xbox controller, which I don't get at all using my Playstation controller. The DS4 also works via Bluetooth and because of the DS4 driver it thinks it is an Xbox controller. It is fully compatible with any game the Xbox controller works on. The body of the Xbox is bigger and along with the offset sticks it puts me into positions my fingers do not like.
Your advice for me would be wrong.
Don't presume your personal preference will translate to every other human being.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get actual pain using an Xbox controller, which I don't get at all using my Playstation controller. The DS4 also works via Bluetooth and because of the DS4 driver it thinks it is an Xbox controller. It is fully compatible with any game the Xbox controller works on.
Your advice for me would be plain wrong. I love my Playstation controller.
Don't presume your personal preference will translate to every other human being.
Dude was after a recommendation for a first controller. I didn't presume it would be perfect for everyone, but actually just.... gave a recommendation. From personal experience.

Having seen non-gamers try to cope with both PS and Xbox controller, the XB1 controller is definitely more natural to hold. I daresay more ergonomic. Probably, your hands would get used to a different one and, perhaps, would then find others uncomfortable (?)

Associate
OP
I've just got back after nipping out to my local Argos store ( sorry OCUK) but they were a fiver cheaper and no delivery fee and in stock so I picked up the Xbox One cable/bluetooth model for Windows for £39.99 and have just plugged it in via the cable to test it.
I've never ever had my hands on a controller of any kind and surprisingly it doesn't actually feel too alien to use and responds quite well and so far seems easier to use than keyboard and mouse though I suspect I'll need to set it up for specific games as well as learning how to use the various functions. I think I'll also invest in the bluetooth dongle to use it wirelessly but it's handy having the cable function so that it doesn't need batteries.
I'll give this controller a try out and see how I get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom