Suggestions for new camera

Soldato
Hey,
I made a thread before about my sister breaking my camera I am now in the market for a new camera. I need a compact camera which is relatively thin and take decent photos of night outs,and as I will be going Spain in a week or so I will be using it there for group photos and some touristy photoshots.

So go ahead and help me find a camera!My budget is max £110! I was looking at a few cameras like Samsung Digimax 850,Panasonic DMCFX01 and Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z75 but dunno if they are any good.

Cheers guys!

Soldato
OP
Thanks but already had a look,but I rather have some 1st hand experience by people like myself rather than experts as they can sometimes be a little biased. Also some of the cameras I have been looking at (Casio one for example) has little or no review of the camera so hoping someone here does.

Associate
The exilim I have used was fairly good and the Fuji Finepix's should be good aswell. If you can stretch to around £125 then I recommend the Fuji FinePix F31fd. I haven't used it but the F30/31 are regarded as one of the best for the price.

Soldato
OP
Cheers Arsey,I was looking at the Finepix F31 sounds like a great camera but I find it a bit bulky so I opted out. :o

Probs go for the Casio one then as its failry cheap,have you used the Fuji Finepix Z3 by anychance if so what do you think of it?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
i have a fuji f31fd and love it. i dont find it too bulky tbh. i'm forever loosing thigns and like the fact i can tell its in my pocket.

just bought a fuji z5fd for my brother, which as far as i can tell is the same as the f31fd (same sensor, processor, similar firmware etc). Should turn up in the next few days, can let you know what i reckon to it ?

Soldato
OP
Gex that will be great!Do you know when you will get it?Need to get a camera before 29th June as I be going to my Leavers Ball and on Sunday I shall be going on holiday!

Soldato
OP
Yeah thats the cheapest I have found around on the net.Cheers,I shall be waiting for a quick mini review from you in a few days. :D :p

GeX

GeX

Soldato
sorry for not getting back to you sooner, it only turned up today. had a very quick play, will have a proper play when im back from work.

It is pretty much the same size as the f31fd. Feels about the same weight and still fits in my hand as well. Feels solid. Seems to lack any sort of manual controls on it. It has a 'manual' mode when you cycle through but that only seems to let you change the white balance and EV compensation - guess there is no shutter/ap prioirty modes. quick few photos of the two cameras.

both_top.jpg

both_front_off.jpg

both_f31_front.jpg

both_z5_back.jpg

both_lcd_on.jpg

GeX

GeX

Soldato
both_front_on.jpg

The charger differs from the F31fd, but still charges the camera up quickly enough. No chance to test battery life etc out yet of course. Few example shots from each camera:

both cameras on auto.

macro
F31fd
1_f31fd_macro_flash.jpg

Z5fd
1_z5fd_macro_flash.jpg

No Zoom
F31fd
2_f31fd_garden.jpg

Z5fd
2_z5fd_garden.jpg

GeX

GeX

Soldato
zoomed in

F31fd
3_f31fd_garden_zoomed.jpg

Z5fd
3_z5fd_garden_zoomed.jpg

I realise they're not great test shots, but i'm on limited time here!!

Will have a play later and see what the different cameras are like at different ISO settings and stuff.

Conclusion so far, if you want shutter or apeture priority control get the F31fd. if you want an ickle tiny camera to take out clubbing, the Z5fd is more suited - but the F31fd still does that fine :D

automode picked the same iso for all shots, apart from the zoomed in one. the F31fd picked ISO800 and the Z5fd went with ISO400. The shots arent framed the same, so that might've done that.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought my father the Exilim EX-Z850 about this times last year (and paid nearly three time as much for it!) though i think you can pick it up for under £150 now

It's an extraordinarily versatile camera for a compact with full manual control over practically everything apart from AF. I'm used to handling DSLRs so found the features welcome, although it has it to be said the complexity has been a bit overwhelming for my dad.

Image quality, metering and responsiveness (speed: startup, focus, shutter lag best I've seen) in full green (auto) mode seem to get it right every time. You can see some results from a trip to Australia here (all out the camera, and not even contrast fixed) - if you want full size samples, drop me a line.

EDIT: actually a few in that album are taken with an Pentax Optio S5i - just check the EXIF data if in doubt

the other thing i meant to mention was battery life, which was staggering, considering the size of the LCD (which incidentally is very good, even in bright beach conditions) no other compact I've come across has done nearly as well - also having a regular glass view finder is a welcome optional fall back if trying to conserve power in the field.

if interested, pretty fair full review here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz850/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks GeX that looks like a good little camera. My parents just told me they got me that for my birthday present(18birthday today.Woo!) and it should be with me in a few hours or Thursday!So excited!

Back
Top Bottom