'Suicide bomber' taxi explodes at Liverpool Women's Hospital

Soldato
Breaking.

Not many details at the moment, despite it happening around 11am today. This has happened down the road from us, with a taxi pulling into the front entrance to the hospital and then exploding. Lots of local talk of a suicide bomber, but no actual details as yet. Unsettling to say the least...

Trying to look outside of the 'obvious' conclusion - since the majority of taxis are diesel, an explosion is out of the ordinary. A hybrid with a faulty battery, perhaps? Doesn't look like it though. One dead and one seriously injured, and no arrests made (possibly because the driver is already dead?)...

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. It's certainly set the locals on edge.

Don
The fact it was 11am give or take suggests it might have been Rememberence Sunday related.

I wouldn't necessarily say it was the taxi driver that was the bomber, my suspicion would be a potential passenger.

V F

V F

Soldato
The fact it was 11am give or take suggests it might have been Rememberence Sunday related.

I wouldn't necessarily say it was the taxi driver that was the bomber, my suspicion would be a potential passenger.

That's what made me think. How can it then be breaking news if it happened at 11am? Midday I could understand if it was breaking news.

Soldato
If it is a bomber then, again, they're not very successful in what they do after years of practice. Maybe they're waiting for that big lucky strike?

Soldato
OP

The thought crossed my mind, also. I noted the news worded it very specifically to say it happened at 10.59am (rather than 11), perhaps to intentionally direct thoughts away from such a thing? Or maybe I'm looking too closely into it haha. With updates, the story's saying the car was well ablaze by the time fire and rescue got there, but one passenger managed to escape before it was fully ablaze. That suggests a more gradual start/spread, rather than going up like a literal bomb? I only know as much as you do.

Soldato
OP
Apparently the driver is the surviving passenger. He said he heard a hissing/pouring noise and then the whole car went up. This is all heresay, so a bucket of salt required.

ymdRC8U.jpg

Soldato
Why is there nothing in the media about this? Are they scared to upset people?
Did you miss the link in the OP or did you purposely just want to froth at the mouth in outrage?

It's on BBC now. The headline is total hyperbole clickbait nonesense.

My money is on dodgy LPG conversion.

Man of Honour
Not convinced this was a "bomb blast" little to no damage to the cars around - no broken windows, etc that you would associate with a "blast" - just a bit of something that has gone onto the back of the black car which is closest

Soldato
OP
My money is on dodgy LPG conversion.

Again, another possibility. The Liverpool Echo are reporting armed raids on two local properties since the explosion. They do note, in one small sentence buried in the article, that there's no confirmation the raids are related to the explosion (their word) at the hospitial. We'll find out in the coming days, I suppose. My wife has had treatment while pregnant there several times, so I'm just happy nobody else was hurt. It could have been a heck of a lot worse, whatever the cause.

Soldato
Why is there nothing in the media about this? Are they scared to upset people?

Tons of people die in the UK every day and don't make frontpage news.

From this very limited angle the car looks like it's burning pretty good but a car being torched can be a lot of things.
police say terror officers are taking charge "out of caution"

Means nothing yet.

"Suicide bomber" is pulled out of someones ass.

Man of Honour
Woken this morning originally at 2.50am by a noise outside and a Fire Engine.
Our next door but one neighbours black transit was set alight and the Cops believe it was arson.
It's the first bit of action we've had in this street since 1983.
in fact if you look at the reflection on a window opposite to the left you can see the fire.

vanfire.jpg

Soldato
Seeing the pictures I would heavily speculate it's more likely to be something like a leaky LPG tank combusting or potentially, as Jokester mentioned, a failed "fizzle" (I think that's unlikely TBH) as there is none of the "compression" of the cars bodyshell that you'd expect from any kind of explosive (high or low) which makes me think some form of flammable gas combustion.

My guess would be the LPG thing though, there's plenty of Russian dashcams of LPG tanks "exploding" for reference.

Back
Top Bottom