*** Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League *** (Rocksteady)

Soldato
It had been rumoured for a while, but now it's official.

https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1291720790447136768?s=20

The title hasn't been confirmed yet, but the domain name for the above was registered a few months back. And given that Supes is targeted in the image, it looks as if Rocksteady's next game will indeed see the Suicide Squad take on the Justice League. I'm guessing/hoping this will take design cues from the comics (and the existing Arkham games) and have nothing to do with the recent movies.

A few things are interesting to me. Firstly, they've neatly sidestepped the problem with playing as Superman. He's just way too OPed to be a playable character in games. But taking him on? Interesting.... Secondly, given it's the Suicide Squad, will it be a multiplayer affair? And if so, will it therefore be pitched (fairly or not) against the Avengers? It could be an interesting head to head. Avengers is the bigger franchise, but opinions still seem divided on it. And Rocksteady do have experience of handling the DC universe and its characters.

The fact that WB Interactive Entertainment is up for sale also adds spice. And there's still the WB Montreal game to be revealed (long rumoured to be Batman/Court of Owls). We'll know more about Suicide Squad on August 22nd, when the DC FanDome event kicks off.

Soldato
OP
It must be pretty close to being finished... It's been over five years since Arkham Knight's release! :eek:
Jason Schreier was tweeting about this today as it happens. He says WB Montreal (the guys who did Arkham Origins) were working on a Suicide Squad game until it was cancelled in late 2016, so Rocksteady have only been working on their take since late 2016, early 2017. As a result, it's not going to release any time soon, and it's likely that we'll only get a teaser at the DC event in a couple of weeks.

He was also asked about the WB Montreal Batman game. He says they were working on a Damian Wayne Batman game, but it has been rebooted/reworked into the long-rumoured Court of Owls game. It should also make an appearance at DC FanDome, according to Schreier at least.

Soldato
They are both next gen titles and expected to be a while off.

I've quite enjoyed the beta for avengers so an alternative later down the line is no bad thing

Soldato
Widely reported where, exactly?

Eurogamer, tweaktown, pushsquare who actually bothered to report on the tweet on it all reported similar. J schreir who generally is well connected intimated the same saying don't expect a release date soon. Now they may all have the same source and given next gen launches this year, it could still be within the next year but I very much doubt it will be this calendar year. If you want to believe it is then you do you, I don't particularly care.

Soldato
OP
The Court of Owls game WB Montreal are working on should have a trailer dropping later today, or tomorrow (Saturday) at DC Fandome. Their talk is at 18:25 BST. The Rocksteady talk will be at 01:10, Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Soldato
OP

So there wasn't much given away in the teaser trailer. There was a small "interview" with a Rocksteady higher-up afterwards, but the only details gleaned are that it can be played both as single player, or up to 4P co-op. It's set in Metropolis, and is set in the same game universe as the Arkham series. Gameplay was described as a mix of powers and gunplay. Slated for a 2022 release on PS5, PC, and XBSX.

Meh, for now at least.

Associate
If it really is a live service game then I'm out too. Even though I'm a huge fan of the DC universe. Disappointing, but it's not as if there is a shortage of big releases to play this year.

Associate
I was hoping this would be as good if not better than the Arkham series, but looks like my hopes are going to be dashed by another big release.

Back
Top Bottom