** Summer Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Depends what you value more, football or money?

A man that's already a multi-millionaire should be happy to not even make the bench at his current club but earn ~£60k per week, when he may have the opportunity to join another club and only get £30-40k per week but play regularly?

It's all a game of brinkmanship; the club will threaten to leave him in the reserves and he'll threaten to sit there and count his money. In the end a compromise will be reached.

Footballers dont become divorced from human nature as soon as they get a big contract.

NO-ONE would volunteer to walk away from a contract in one job to do another for 50% less. Just because the figures involved are £60k and perhaps £30k a week doesnt change that.

If Liverpool thought he was good enough for £60k a week then they should honour that and if they want to get rid of him then its only to be expected that its on his terms really.

As you say, a compromise will be reached in the end I just find it constantly amazing that people expect footballers to have no regard for their earnings just because they happen to be much higher than the man in the street.

Soldato
He should want to PLAY not be a money grabbing sit on my ass and count it all and be lazy. If his cut would be 5-10k but gets regular football then he should take it, Not like he will struggle to live of less in all honesty.

He is not money grabbing. He is just expecting his contract to be honoured. Whether he will struggle to live on his wages or not is irrelevant. It is not his fault Liverpool no longer want him.

Soldato
He stated he regrets his move here and clearly under our new plan he doesnt fit if he regrets it that much and doesn't like it yes you leave.

Just like if we hated our job so much we would take a pay cut else were if it meant being happier with our lives.

Soldato
He stated he regrets his move here and clearly under our new plan he doesnt fit if he regrets it that much and doesn't like it yes you leave.

Just like if we hated our job so much we would take a pay cut else were if it meant being happier with our lives.

Of course he regrets it - you arent playing him.

Im sure you also regret signing him and giving him £60k a week, but you did and that is your mistake not his. Why should he turn his back on that just because you have decided he is no longer useful to you?

Soldato
Its not about him turning his back its about him being happy which he isnt here i dont blame him for that either all im trying to say is if he knows he will be happier else were then you would have thought logically his happiness is more important so he would take the move.

Its like you earning £30k a year but you hated the job the people the city everything you were then offered £25k else were knowing you could live on that more than fine you wouldn't take it if it meant being happier? Money isnt the answer for everything and that goes for every body.

On a side note http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/31181/ Saying Mata will be our next arrival hope so but it doesn't actually quote or say it as such just hope he does end up here

Don
Footballers dont become divorced from human nature as soon as they get a big contract.

NO-ONE would volunteer to walk away from a contract in one job to do another for 50% less. Just because the figures involved are £60k and perhaps £30k a week doesnt change that.

If your sole motivation is money then you're right. If you want to be a footballer and represent your country in next summers European Championships then you might consider it.

And several players have taken pay cuts in order to get first team football.

If Liverpool thought he was good enough for £60k a week then they should honour that and if they want to get rid of him then its only to be expected that its on his terms really.

And when a player signs a 5 year deal and after 18 months is asking for more money they should be told to honour their original contract. It doesn't work like that though.

He wasn't completely frozen out during the 2nd part of last season because he wasn't good enough to make the bench, it was because of this very reason. The club are making it clear he has no future at LFC and that if he stays he won't have any involvement in the side.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course in an ideal world he would simply move on - i totally understand that. All im saying is that he will never see a contract anywhere near the sums of money he is on right now so it is perfectly understandable that he doesnt want to turn his back on that even if it means sitting on his hands for a while.

People shouldnt be particularly shocked that this is the case. Far more people will stay in jobs they dislike for financial reason than will move for a large pay cut i think. Of course comparisions between football and other jobs dont really stand up in these cases.

Don
I thought he along with Cole accounted for 12 million a year in wages? That would put Cole on 190K a week if true :eek:

Edit: Unless signing on fees were included in the 12 million figure.

Along the lines of your edit; reportedly Jovanovic's signing on fee wasn't paid in a lump sum and instead was spread over the first year of his contract.

According to an article in the Guardian; Cole gets ~£100k per week and Jova ~£60k + a ~£3m signing on fee. God knows what Cole's signing on fee was.

Soldato
and according to the telegraph (I think it was anyway) even Blackburn themselves are trying to convince the Indians that they dont have a leg to stand on and United's bid is fully ok and contractually Jones has to be released

Who knows who is right.....
Yep, just found that article on the Telegraph's website.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...p-as-Venkys-want-25-million-for-defender.html

Would be hilarious, and tragic, if Venky's are ignorant of the contract release fees and think they are just a basis for negotiation. :p

Caporegime
Venkey's' just don't seem to any ideas do they, I imagine Man U's lawyers will give them a seeing to if they have any problems.

Re: Joe Cole, I remember at the start of the season Gerrard said something about Cole being better than Messi and that Joe Cole would end up getting player of the season. :D

Man of Honour

As you say, a compromise will be reached in the end I just find it constantly amazing that people expect footballers to have no regard for their earnings just because they happen to be much higher than the man in the street.

Oddly enough, I turned down a job change which would have given me more money, I also took a job which was less money than the job I was already in. So maybe not quite no-one :)

Man of Honour
xxxxx is an utter tool though tbf

Oh lord now you've done it.

Don't you know you can't say that here?

:D

Though on the bright side, if he rejects City's offer and comes to us then maybe he's a player worth keeping. If he's only in it for the money then he'll fit right in at Eastlands.

Unless of course he's humble enough to realise he isn't good enough for all of City's offerings. Or smart enough to realise we'd be a better stepping stone than City.

Lolkermit.

Caporegime
Venkey's' just don't seem to any ideas do they, I imagine Man U's lawyers will give them a seeing to if they have any problems.

Re: Joe Cole, I remember at the start of the season Gerrard said something about Cole being better than Messi and that Joe Cole would end up getting player of the season. :D

HE said something that shows exactly why English players are stupid and why we don't make the best players, some players are simply born good, you don't teach Messi to be Messi, a team finds him and plays him, thats all.

It was along the lines of, you should see what Joe Cole does on the training ground with a TENNIS BALL, its stuff Messi can't do, he's our Messi" blah blah blah.

Soccer AM and the soccer skills thing, its a joke, being able to do a press up with a ball balanced on your back doesn't help you on the pitch at all. DOing fancy flicks with a tennis ball on the training ground is quite simple taking up time you could be practicing your actual football.

English people thinks daft tricks = technical ability, Brazillians, dutch, Spanish all think passing/crossing/tackling/dribbling are technical skills, once you are fantastic at them kickups and other tricks are just a easy side effect at being brilliant with the ball. Joe Cole practiced his kickups and skills, and the rest of his game is average. We've got whole generations of young English guys trying to do Joe Cole's tricks, rather than Fabregas's passing.

As for wages, jesus christ, shut up already. He's not doing slave labour 1st line support, a bad week in his job is training 2 hours a day and having the rest of the day off and NOT playing at matches. He's also supposedly on 120k a week, 60k + 60k adjusted as his signing bonus, IE he gets it paid as a wage rather than a lump sum, going from 120k to 30-40k is a HUGE drop to make and few people would do that. He's I assume asking for a payoff to get the rest of essentially his signing bonus in lump sum as he basically won't have actually had all his signing bonus yet if its being paid weekly. Fair enough.

The VERY FEW players who go off to take a lower wage job are normally at the ends of their contracts and unable to get a higher offer. Getting paid 100k a week for 5 years, contract finishing, then signing on for 40k a week elsewhere is different to 100k a week for 5 years, then moving on to a 40k a week contract 2 years later, when you can just sit around and get 100k a week for 3 more years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom