** Summer Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I think, I THINK you've mentioned that once or twice before :p

Was hoping you'd answer my question though as it seems you've seen Defour a lot more than anyone else

Yeah, I seen him play several times at national and club level in games. I personally consider him to play the best when he is employed more in a DM/CM role than going forward. He has a decent range of passing on him and can be very accurate with 30/40 yard balls to the wings. He isnt one I would push forward often, I actually think he is better used being deployed in and around the centre circle area and used as a hub for shooting passes out. He can be useful at times with free kicks , but he isnt really one I would nominate as a first choice for them.

Man of Honour
Hehehe
Okay !
No-one can say I'm not consistent at least!
Dont want to harp on about it too much though
Although I might drop the odd name in here and there....

:D

Man of Honour
In terms of goals from CM I think there are a lot of factors to consider:

1) Pens.
2) Direct freekicks.
3) Dubious goals panel counting opposition player's arse as a part of your anatomy.
4) Formation / role in the team

Personally I don't believe (and evidence backs it up in fact) that you NEED a CM to be banging in 20+ a season. Look at Arsenal when they were winning titles, Vieira? Nope (highest tally in all competitions was 7, in his allegedly 'poor' final season at the club). Petit? Nope. Gilberto? Nope. In fact since Arsenal started having a CM score 10+ a season (Fabregas) they've won sweet FA!

If you've got wingers banging in the goals you can live without it. Pires was 3rd top scorer in the Prem one year. MU won plenty of titles without a huge contribution from the centre in terms of goals. In fact the only side that's won the league with a consistent goal-getting in the middle is Chelsea, a team that often played without proper wingers, instead having one of Makelele/Essien/Mikel sitting and letting Lampard Jr. roam around, scoring goals, taking pens, taking freekicks etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
A dominant midfielder would have yes, but considering this discussion was about lacking 10+ goals from midfield it seems you're now changing the argument...

I consider someone like Modric to be a dominant midfielder, he's ran games against top class teams like Arsenal and Chelsea when part of a midfield two yet going back to the original discussion of goal return you're lucky if he hits 5 a season let alone double that

Arsenal are a good side domestically - but are they really in the top bracket of world teams (without wanting to ignore thier well deserved win against Barca, or their win against us)...... Im not totally convinced.

I would love Modric at Utd, but I dont think its likely to happen anytime soon, I still think it would be fabulous to have a regularly goal-scoring AM in the side
(I didnt mean to change the discussion, please excuse the unfortunate wording in the previious post)

In terms of goals from CM I think there are a lot of factors to consider:

1) Pens.
2) Direct freekicks.
3) Dubious goals panel counting opposition player's arse as a part of your anatomy.
4) Formation / role in the team

Personally I don't believe (and evidence backs it up in fact) that you NEED a CM to be banging in 20+ a season. Look at Arsenal when they were winning titles, Vieira? Nope (highest tally in all competitions was 7, in his allegedly 'poor' final season at the club). Petit? Nope. Gilberto? Nope. In fact since Arsenal started having a CM score 10+ a season (Fabregas) they've won sweet FA!

If you've got wingers banging in the goals you can live without it. Pires was 3rd top scorer in the Prem one year. MU won plenty of titles without a huge contribution from the centre in terms of goals. In fact the only side that's won the league with a consistent goal-getting in the middle is Chelsea, a team that often played without proper wingers, instead having one of Makelele/Essien/Mikel sitting and letting Lampard Jr. roam around, scoring goals, taking pens, taking freekicks etc.

I never said that Utd need it (as you said the number of titles shows that) - but it is an obvious hole in the teams abilities which could well be looked at when buying players. As I stressed earlier (and wasnt really the case when Viera (Keane), Petit et all were playing all of the top four didnt really have massive goal scoring mids - yet apart from Utd they definitely do now, and its fair to say every so often Fergie does keep on highlighting it as a deficiency in the team

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like Sneijder is staying at Inter.

Man Utd were willing to put Nani in a swap/cash deal. :/

Its not as straight forward as it seems , if the rumours are true that Sneijder does have ambitions of playing for Utd although he has only voiced this privately so far (according to rumour)

Im wondering if the potential for Utd to use Nani as bait has upset the Portuegese winger .....along with his bench sitting throughout majority of the run-in

Does anyone at all believe the Daily Star today regarding SAF's spending spree being financed by the Quatari royal family. Seems a little far fetched although I appreciate why they would be interested in aquiriing Utd.

The article also seems to have forgotten that Utd should be getting £80m + from CL and EPL last season (Im not sure when that would normally be paid though) - irrespective of the indication that Utd seem to be sitting on over £100m in the bank anyway......but it makes a good article (for a Star reader anyway lol)

Associate
The story today is that Utd have made a final £35m offer to Inter for Sneijder, but no mention of the deal including a player.

Soldato
If that is true then it seems like we're trying to make Nani unhappy :confused:

Would be sad to see him go because he has a lot of skill but would be so good to see him go because of his constant ball hogging and diving. He was great in the first half of the season but once AV came back, he saw a lot of the bench.

Now with Young and others coming in, I can see Nani spending even more time on the bench.

The story today is that Utd have made a final £35m offer to Inter for Sneijder, but no mention of the deal including a player.

35m + Nani and Inter would be stupid to decline it.

Soldato
Would be sad to see him go because he has a lot of skill but would be so good to see him go because of his constant ball hogging and diving. He was great in the first half of the season but once AV came back, he saw a lot of the bench.

Now with Young and others coming in, I can see Nani spending even more time on the bench.

Totally agree.

He can be hugely wasteful at times. To be fair so was Ronaldo but the subtle difference was that the trade off for this with Ronaldo was 40 goals in a season, with Nani its just frustration.

Soldato
Fell bit sorry for Nani has had a good season for them and he gets shipped out then gutting for him especially if it turns out true and he doesn't want Inter. If true and a big if but itUTD lose nani big loss for them imo as i do rate him over Young and Valencia

On another note http://www.kopsource.com/liverpool-agree-deal-for-charlie-adam/ so this about 13th time now we have signed and got adam he must have lots of twins!

Soldato
Fell bit sorry for Nani has had a good season for them and he gets shipped out then gutting for him especially if it turns out true and he doesn't want Inter. If true and a big if but itUTD lose nani big loss for them imo as i do rate him over Young and Valencia

On another note http://www.kopsource.com/liverpool-agree-deal-for-charlie-adam/ so this about 13th time now we have signed and got adam he must have lots of twins!

You could easily replace Nani with a player who is half as skillful but will put in twice as many decent balls.

His stats for the season are very good but he is SOOOOO frustrating to watch a lot of the time. Its no coincidence that we kicked on to the title when the workrate of Valencia came back into the side.

Soldato
Nani could've had 40 goals with amount of shots he took. He just doesn't have the precision that Ronaldo has with his shooting.

Watching Nani play is so frustating. You just know once he does some fancy step over and takes on a defender he will try and score instead of passing.

Its stuff like this that really annoys me about him. He tries showing off way too many times. Maybe his style of play would be best in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom