** Summer Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The bottom line is he has agreed terms with Man Utd and therefore made it clear where he wants to play. Anything else is secondary to that fact. Blackburn cant realistically keep him and they cant sell him to anyone else.

Besides he wouldnt want to join a club who will be looking for a new manager by Xmas when the myth is found out........

From what I've read the only extras to the initial agreed 16m is dependant on success anyway, it's not like we're now having to pay 20m out right

Of course I could bring up the Henderson deal right about now also but I wont :)

So.. what's your point?

Jones hasn't made any comments about joining any other clubs, so it obviously isn't "abundantly clear".

Well it is the fact that he's chose us over you to begin with (even if you dont believe the stories that you bid again and he turned you down again)

Soldato
So.. what's your point?

Jones hasn't made any comments about joining any other clubs, so it obviously isn't "abundantly clear". He may have currently agreed terms with United, but thats a far cry from coming out and actually stating he only wants to join them and no one else.

I think agreeing terms with Manchester United is a fairly good indicator of his intentions.

Soldato
Of course I could bring up the Henderson deal right about now also but I wont :)

Go ahead, what would that prove here?

I think agreeing terms with Manchester United is a fairly good indicator of his intentions.

You'd then have to question why United would need to increase their bid, if the deal is all hunky dory and he only wants to go there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go ahead, what would that prove here?

Just that LFC seem to think they've got one over on Fergie by potentially making us pay more than the initially agreed 16m despite the fact that many sources are suggesting that the deal to bring Henderson to Liverpool has also cost 20m

I could say I know who of the two I'd prefer as well but that would be pretty petty :)

Don

Taggart interfered with our bid for Adam by talking up his fee after you played them at Bloomfield Road.

This King/Taggart stuff goes back over 20 years to when Utd had all but signed Glenn Hysen and in the time it took Utd to clear the deal with their board, Dalglish flew out to meet Hysen and he signed for Liverpool there and then.

And this tit for tat has gone on ever since. Once Jones chose to join Utd it's inevitable he'd end up at OT. We're just returning the favour for Taggarts comments in January.

Soldato
Taggart interfered with our bid for Adam by talking up his fee after you played them at Bloomfield Road.

This King/Taggart stuff goes back over 20 years to when Utd had all but signed Glenn Hysen and in the time it took Utd to clear the deal with their board, Dalglish flew out to meet Hysen and he signed for Liverpool there and then.

And this tit for tat has gone on ever since. Once Jones chose to join Utd it's inevitable he'd end up at OT. We're just returning the favour for Taggarts comments in January.

He hardly "talked up the fee" for Adam. He was asked a question and answered it, it didnt affect the bid Liverpool made or didnt make for him.

I would be absolutely astounded if SAF does anything based on the signing of Hysen over 20 years ago. the two clubs are moving in different circles since then.

Soldato
Just that LFC seem to think they've got one over on Fergie by potentially making us pay more than the initially agreed 16m despite the fact that many sources are suggesting that the deal to bring Henderson to Liverpool has also cost 20m

Its not like United were involved in the deal for Henderson, so how would it even be relevant? Plus, they're completely different players in different positions, go figure.

I could say I know who of the two I'd prefer as well but that would be pretty petty :)

So, by your own indirect admission above, you're just being petty, nice to know.

Don
He hardly "talked up the fee" for Adam. He was asked a question and answered it, it didnt affect the bid Liverpool made or didnt make for him.

I would be absolutely astounded if SAF does anything based on the signing of Hysen over 20 years ago. the two clubs are moving in different circles since then.

Liverpool offered ~£6m for Adam, Taggart then came out and said Adam's corners alone are worth £10m or words to that effect.

This isn't so much Liverpool/Utd but Dalglish/Fergie and like I said, Hysen was just the start. It carried on when Dalglish moved to Blackburn; Keane for example had verbally agreed to join Blackburn only for Utd to sneak in at the last minute.

Tbh, I think they both enjoy it.

Soldato
Like I said LFC seem to find it highly satisfying that allegedly their second bid has made us pay over the odds, if the Henderson deal did also cost you a total of 20m then people in glass houses springs to mind :)

If we did place this second bid and that has caused United to pay more for one of their targets, then yes why wouldn't we be happy? I'm sure supporters for all other clubs will also be happy that United have had to pay more for their target and therefore have less money to spend elsewhere.

Why the Henderson deal matters in these circumstances I've no idea? We negotiated a price and paid it. It wasn't bumped by a second/third club coming in over the top, we got our primary target for a price we're happy with.

It would also appear that the Henderson deal is set to be worth £16m (£5m being Ngog), not £20m, just for reference.

Soldato
Liverpool offered ~£6m for Adam, Taggart then came out and said Adam's corners alone are worth £10m or words to that effect.

This isn't so much Liverpool/Utd but Dalglish/Fergie and like I said, Hysen was just the start. It carried on when Dalglish moved to Blackburn; Keane for example had verbally agreed to join Blackburn only for Utd to sneak in at the last minute.

Tbh, I think they both enjoy it.

I agree there is a big rivalry between the two of them but i would disagree that this tit-for-tat stuff is ongoing. At Blackburn Dalglish got Shearer but missed out on Keane and TBH thats really the extent of it. Sir Alex went on to become the greatest of all time and Dalglish cemented his reputation as a bottler.

Don
I agree there is a big rivalry between the two of them but i would disagree that this tit-for-tat stuff is ongoing. At Blackburn Dalglish got Shearer but missed out on Keane and TBH thats really the extent of it.

You're incredibly naive if you think Taggart wasn't trying to interfere with our bid for Adam.

Sir Alex went on to become the greatest of all time and Dalglish cemented his reputation as a bottler.

Greatest of all time? :D :D :D Over 20 years and still hasn't won as many European Cups as Sir Bob won in 9 years :o

Also you've stated you don't think Dalglish will last the season at Liverpool. Would you like to make a wager on that? The winnings going to charity of course as we can't properly bet on here.

Soldato
If we did place this second bid and that has caused United to pay more for one of their targets, then yes why wouldn't we be happy? I'm sure supporters for all other clubs will also be happy that United have had to pay more for their target and therefore have less money to spend elsewhere.

"We made United pay more for Jones"
2qsvv3k.jpg

It would also appear that the Henderson deal is set to be worth £16m (£5m being Ngog), not £20m, just for reference.

From what I've read the N'Gog deal is completely separate to the Henderson deal (hence why it has yet to be completed) so the best you could say is that you've spent 20m on Henderson and if N'Gog joins Sunderland then you'll recoup 4m of that

Soldato
From what I've read the N'Gog deal is completely separate to the Henderson deal (hence why it has yet to be completed) so the best you could say is that you've spent 20m on Henderson and if N'Gog joins Sunderland then you'll recoup 4m of that

Well no, because the deal is £16m. But yes, anything we recoup from Ngog will then just reduce this lower figure further.

Edit: having said that, I'll guess we'll never be 100% on the figures.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're incredibly naive if you think Taggart wasn't trying to interfere with our bid for Adam.

Greatest of all time? :D :D :D Over 20 years and still hasn't won as many European Cups as Sir Bob won in 9 years :o

Also you've stated you don't think Dalglish will last the season at Liverpool. Would you like to make a wager on that? The winnings going to charity of course as we can't properly bet on here.

Really? Come on!

The world that Bob operated in is completely different. Thats not to say he wasnt a great manager though. SAF has transcended different eras and flourished. The world he won the CWC with Aberdeen is very different to the one he is currently winning in with Man Utd. He has built, dismantled and rebuilt teams time and again at Old Trafford and maintained success. We will never see that again.

Thats not to say the top Liverpool managers werent great, its not really a competition in that respect however SAF is demonstrably the greatest simply because he has done it over different eras whereas the others havent, maybe they could, maybe they couldnt we will never know.

As for your wager its heavily weighted in your favour TBH, all Dalglish needs to do is last the season and you win. I will happily take a performance based wager on him though. Its all well and good coming in like Red Adair mid season and playing the hero. The "we will play each game in turn and see how many points we end up with" will get tired very quickly after a few defeats when wins are expected. I'll take the bet on him not getting a CL place if you want?

Soldato
Loving the rumours about LFC going back in for Jones only for him to turn them down a second time, already this lad has got off to a great start to his United career :p
I like this kid already. :cool:

Blackburn need to realise that regardless of the rights and wrongs of the buy out the boy has agreed to the United move and there is no way they can start a bidding war now.
Well from what I've read on the Telegraph website Blackburn understand it, it's the owners who are being silly and trying to pretend the release fee doesn't exist or doesn't actually mean what it means. I almost get the idea that Venky's think we have to pay £16m to Blackburn just to talk to him and then we give them £25m to actually sign him. :D:o

The fee for Jones in many ways doesnt matter. If he turns out to be great then £16m or £20m will be quickly forgotten. Rio was hugely overpriced at the time but looking back who can argue with £30m for effecively filling a position for a decade?
True. I remember thinking £30m was a bit much but, the drugs test fiasco apart, I think he's paid us back, especially with his partnership in defence with Vidic.

Don

Ok, I'm not going to get into a massive debate over who is the greatest and why. It's clear I disagree with your statement that he was the best though (equally I'm not saying he's not a great manager, just not the greatest).

And you appear to be backtracking after initially saying Dalglish would be out of a job by Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom