Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don
You see, i don't agree with this, It's all interpretation i suppose.

What is there to disagree with or misinterpret? You can look at clubs commercial revenue and see whether there's any abnormal growth on the back of a new signing.

I'm yet to see a major clubs commercial revenue noticeable change on the back of either signing a big player or selling one.

Caporegime
Don't you know his opinion is better and more correct than an internationally acclaimed group of accountants who deal with 100's of BILLIONS of pounds a year? Why would you question his opinion in this way?

Don
I've looked at them though mate, your talking about the link i posted i presume.

No, you've looked at the total revenue figures (if that links all you're going on), which will be effected by the Leagues TV revenue and many other factors as well as commercial revenue.

Anyway, I really can't be bothered anymore. Believe what you like.

Don
How about some transfer news?

Most of the rags are reporting that we're looking at signing Benifica LB Lorenzo Melgarejo on an initial loan deal with the view to sign him next summer.

I know nothing about him but I'd be tempted to say he can't be as frustrating as Enrique.

Caporegime
There is absolutely nothing in that link that says "this revenue increased due to big name signings" and no data that can be interpreted that way.

Every club there has had their revenue increase in general every year since the tv money started getting big around 2000, the prem league simple started to increase the tv money first, and Spain followed but with completely unfair practices. EPL as a joint bargaining tool where the biggest and smallest club get fair spread of cash, Spain, no spread, top two get all the money the rest feed on scraps.

People have banged on about Rooney selling loads of shirts for Utd, but as soon as RVP came in, everyone jumped to RVP shirts and Rooney started selling very little.

Ultimately if you take 99% of clubs, remove their top player, or bring in a new top player, then the shirt sales shift dramatically because, thats football. 90% of fans don't really give a damn who is on their shirt, their favourites shift on a yearly basis to whoever is deemed best.

In terms of shirt sales, there are likely many clauses in contracts, bonuses that can be made if shirt sales get to certain points. Bonuses for success in the league/champs league/whatever. Arsenal have lost RVP/Cesc/Nasri/Ade, yet when shirt sponsorship deals came up and got renewed the figure went up hugely... the only thing we can see from various deals is, they go up every time no matter which player is bought or sold.

Its effectively impossible to quantify what signing a particularly big name player does for commercial revenue, no one breaks down the numbers, no one says "we made 400mil this year, but 8mil was a bonus due to the massive extra shirt sales triggering a bonus payment" . So its anyones best guess, I know(using basic logic and with my BS detector on high alert from any football "president" talking) that Ronaldo did not pay back 80mil commercially in his first season. Did they sign a new shirt deal that year, maybe, did they get an extra 5mil that year due to the surge of shirt sales when a new player joins, sure.... but most people DON'T buy shirts every year, so you're just talking about people choosing a year earlier to buy a new one which they could keep a year longer than they otherwise would... so less money 3 years later. Tv money and sponsorship deals have increased most seasons for most clubs regardless of which players they buy or sell.

Soldato
Soldado to Spurs looks pretty much wrapped up pending terms and medical.

i thought the initial price was high for a 28yr old player (levy being levy) but apparently the deal is for £50-£60k p/w. take that into the equation and it's a good (5 yr by the sounds of it) deal!

nothing concrete though. conflicting views of ''he's flying into london tomorrow'' to ''he's training with valencia tomorrow''

Last edited:
Caporegime
i thought the initial price was high for a 28yr old player (levy being levy) but apparently the deal is for £50-£60k p/w. take that into the equation and it's a good (5 yr by the sounds of it) deal!

nothing concrete though. conflicting views of ''he's flying into london tomorrow'' to ''he's training with valencia tomorrow''

Great player, but a long deal for a 28 year old. Mind you, that is very low wages in this day and age. A probation wage if you ask me. If he has an absolute blinder of a season (20+ goals), then Levy will give him a bump towards 80k.

Soldato
I used to crucify bale in here, because he was shockingly bad. One of the worst players in the PL.

Whoever thought he was a defender is mad.

He's never been a bad player. He scored twice in his first three games for Spurs, including a free kick against Arsenal. Anyone who saw him play in the flesh knew that he was a very special player. There's good reason why Spurs fans have always defended him against the "all he does is run in a straight line lol" crowd.

He could be a defender but it's a waste of his talents.

Soldato
I hope Marca goes bust. I have no problem with Real signing Bale or Bale choosing to leave. However, this daily chorus of "come play with the big kids" is so irritating.

On the one hand Zidane gives respectful and open press conferences which are then followed by regurgitated sewage all over the front page of Marca.

I think levy should set up a free paper that speculates daily about Marca going bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom