Sunday Trading Laws

Permabanned
in b4 "worst I went into town at 10am and all the shops were shut thread ever".

I went into town at 10am and all the shops were shut!
So I've just done all my shopping online instead.

I don't see the point of Sunday trading laws, it's prevented me from working before, and it's prevented me from shopping before. Why is the entire country restricted based on someone's religious beliefs?

There's a petition already running for this, sign if you agree.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32394

Permabanned
in b4 "worst I went into town at 10am and all the shops were shut thread ever".

I don't see the point of Sunday trading laws, it's prevented me from working before, and it's prevented me from shopping before. Why is the entire country restricted based on someone's religious beliefs?

There's a petition already running for this, sign if you agree.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32394

I thought it was to give smaller shops an advantage so that they could get business before bigger stores.

Either way, it's a pain in the bum for anybody who wakes up at a reasonable hour and actually wants to get things done early so they can enjoy the rest of their day.

Soldato
I don't agree. I used to work in retail. Shop staff deserve to work reasonable hours and get some family time at least one day a week.

Stop being so selfish and entitled about the right to shop. If you need to shop, find time in the other six days in the week.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the main reasons is to preserve at least one day a week that is a little different to stop industry, especially retail, from making people work every day of the week!

a lot of people in retail hang onto their jobs by the skin of their teeth as it is, and all you need is some jumped up manager starting to make you do a shift on every day before you lose the plot and go postal!

Many retail outlets have made it clear that if the sunday restrictions were lifted they would treat it as any other day and make people do 7 day rotas meaning NO DAY OFF at all every week for millions of workers.

Thats why.

Soldato
I've always found it amusing when people say about keeping Sunday special and what about the poor retail workers, they need breaks from work as well.

I'm all for that if no one at all is allowed to go to work on a Sunday. No hospitals open, no police on the streets, no factory workers who work weekends absolutely no one.

Sunday is just another day of the week.

Soldato
I don't agree. I used to work in retail. Shop staff deserve to work reasonable hours and get some family time at least one day a week.

Stop being so selfish and entitled about the right to shop.

Work in a small retail store and you'll still end up doing 7 days a week sometimes. All to pander to the general public's "I want it now" attitude.

Soldato
I've always found it amusing when people say about keeping Sunday special and what about the poor retail workers, they need breaks from work as well.

I'm all for that if no one at all is allowed to go to work on a Sunday. No hospitals open, no police on the streets, no factory workers who work weekends absolutely no one.

Sunday is just another day of the week.

The differance is that the professions you mentioned all get other days off in the week. Retail workers are the lowest of the low and WILL be forced to do 7 day shifts week after week after week. I have worked in a factory and yes we worked on sundays but we got a day off in the week on a rota, retail wont get that.

Police, doctors, nurses etc all get rotas that include days off to make up for it... retail wont.

Soldato
I'm in retail and I work Sundays and if I do I get 2 days off in the week.

And if they remove the sunday trading laws i bet you they will soon stop that! it will be a normal day and they will say you are not entitled to a day off as its "just a normal day now" :D

Of course some companies will be nice, im talking about the likes of McDonalds, Out of town retailers and other large chains. They are cut-throat in the way they treat staff, or should i say bonded slaves.

daz

daz

Soldato
One of the main reasons is to preserve at least one day a week that is a little different to stop industry, especially retail, from making people work every day of the week!

a lot of people in retail hang onto their jobs by the skin of their teeth as it is, and all you need is some jumped up manager starting to make you do a shift on every day before you lose the plot and go postal!

Many retail outlets have made it clear that if the sunday restrictions were lifted they would treat it as any other day and make people do 7 day rotas meaning NO DAY OFF at all every week for millions of workers.

Thats why.

It's not like you'd have to do extra shifts for no extra money. You'd either get paid extra for the additional hours that you'd do or the shops would need to employ more people, creating new jobs.

Soldato

Are you serious? Lumping hospital staff in the same category as shelf stackers?

If retailers don't turn up on Sunday, you won't be able to buy anything on that day, only on the other 6 days of the week, poor you.

If hospital staff don't turn up, people die. Surely you can see the difference?

Soldato
It's not like you'd have to do extra shifts for no extra money. You'd either get paid extra for the additional hours that you'd do or the shops would need to employ more people, creating new jobs.

You fail to see the point. Yes you will get paid extra and for some thats great but others want a day off in the week to spend with family and children. And if my time in retail has taught me anything they wont hire more staff, they will just make the current staff do it or get fired!

Man of Honour

Yea, I'm exactly sure thats how it went down.

So, you were in town at 10am and the shops were shut and you needed to buy things.

You had two choices:

a) Hang around for 30-60 minutes given you'd already made the effort to go into town, buy items, go home
b) Go home, thus incurring the cost and effort of going to town, and then order everything online instead, which you now won't get until at least Tuesday rather than 30-60 minutes later had you stayed in town.

Sure, totally believable.

I suspect the reality is that you ordered online because it was cheaper not because of Sunday Trading Laws, otherwise what you've done made no sense at all.

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;23237963 said:
Yea, I'm exactly sure thats how it went down.

So, you were in town at 10am and the shops were shut and you needed to buy things.

You had two choices:

a) Hang around for 30-60 minutes given you'd already made the effort to go into town, buy items, go home
b) Go home, thus incurring the cost and effort of going to town, and then order everything online instead, which you now won't get until at least Tuesday rather than 30-60 minutes later had you stayed in town.

Sure, totally believable.

I suspect the reality is that you ordered online because it was cheaper not because of Sunday Trading Laws, otherwise what you've done made no sense at all.

You're making a bunch of assumptions :)

daz

daz

Soldato
You fail to see the point. Yes you will get paid extra and for some thats great but others want a day off in the week to spend with family and children.

You'll still get time off, it just won't necessarily be every Sunday.

And if my time in retail has taught me anything they wont hire more staff, they will just make the current staff do it or get fired!

That's up to individual businesses. Businesses that do well tend to be ones that treat their staff the best, and understand the challenges their own staff have to make with respect work/life balance.

Man of Honour
You're making a bunch of assumptions :)

3 assumptions:

a) You were in town at 10am
b) You wanted to buy things
c) The shops were shut

If any of these three assumptions are wrong then the thread is pointless, no?

Edit: In before 'hahahah I wanted to buy a game actually, so I got it on steam and downloaded it in 5 minutes'

Back
Top Bottom