Sunglasses?

Soldato
I have always bought cheap and cheerful bike glasses from DHB/Aldi etc and generally they have been fine but this week I have had two pairs fail - the tabs on one set of lenses fell off so can't fit them in the frame and the other pair have just split on the top of the frame - none of them have been abused or even dropped so this is just caused by wear and tear switching lenses out.

Over the past 3 years I have spent at least £40 on said sunnies and likely more, the 100 or so my mate spent before that on oakleys is looking better value by the moment!

What do you guys all wear, I tried some Oakley Radars with Prizm lenses today and loved them - much better fit and didn't move at all and the optics were amazing! As you can tell I'm smitten but they still seem expensive...!?

Associate
Oakley 5 Squared Polarised, dark grey tint 8 years old now Bought a new pair for normal everyday, still use the older ones for cycling.

Soldato
I use 3 different pairs of SG's

For general week time riding:
BBB Select Sport - white frame / blue lens
BBB Impact Sport - White frame / red lens

My bike, clothing, shoes and helmet is all red & white with flashes of black so the above white/red SG combo works well.
I wear the white/blue ones when I go out in my Etixx Quickstep shorts, shirt and helmet.

For weekend events I use
Oakley : Jawbreaker Tour De France Prizm Road.

27572069464_072a5dbd1b_b.jpg

It's all about looking good :p

29323210595_717f25c70e_z.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So Oakleys are getting the nod then!

I use 3 different pairs of SG's

For general week time riding:
BBB Select Sport - white frame / blue lens
BBB Impact Sport - White frame / red lens

My bike, clothing, shoes and helmet is all red & white with flashes of black so the above white/red SG combo works well.
I wear the white/blue ones when I go out in my Etixx Quickstep shorts, shirt and helmet.

For weekend events I use
Oakley : Jawbreaker Tour De France Prizm Road.

27572069464_072a5dbd1b_b.jpg

It's all about looking good :p

29323210595_717f25c70e_z.jpg

Why not wear the Oakleys all the time, I'm looking for a pair to commute in and do the odd sportive and general riding so will likely get some prism and clear lenses!?

I do have a colour issue as my bike is white with red detailing but most of my clothing is blue and I like that combo but I just got a Kask Mojito in black/lime green so need a new bike and outfit - the Cav Jawbreakers look perfect but think they will look silly on my face!

Soldato
looking good or hiding behind if you do not have a good poker face to hide the pain ?

I do not know whether you can regularly/easily swap Oakley lenses without wearing/stressing the frame, if that is what you intend
(M frame lenses anyway, were not easy to change)

Soldato
I wear Rudy Project Genetyk ImpactX Photochromatic glasses. As I am Chinese my bridge is quite a bit smaller than most so I find Oakleys dont tend to fit very well. Plus I think they look better than Oakleys, but thats a more personal thing

Soldato
Just looked through my e-mails - my current Tifosi Q3s I purchased in June 2008. Lenses are a bit scratched but still change fine. Have a pair of Tifosi Tyrants to replace them when they die.

Soldato
Three pairs of Aldi specials with dark (grey), medium (yellow) and clear lenses :o

I'm far more likely to lose a set of glasses than break them so no point in spending money on them for me. I don't wear sunglasses other than cycling so it doesn't matter if they look rubbish.

Soldato
Rudy Project Rydon Sunglasses - Impact X Photochromic

Great sunglasses for cycling. I wear them all the time cycling what ever the season and light conditions. The photochromic stuff is very good.

Soldato
OP
I have ridden the last couple of days with my new Kask Mojito helmet and my current DHB sunglasses do not fit - they get pushed forward by the hat so I have been looking into it a bit and various Oakleys are a particularly good fit with said hat - esp Jawbreakers!

Tonight I borrowed my mates original Oakley radars with clear lenses (dark as rode at 8pm) and they were great - Ive not had a pair of cycling glasses sit so well and just not move - pretty set on Oakleys now and going to go into a local shop next week and try a few on with the hat as I still think I will look silly with jawbreakers and by that I mean 10% sillier than with any other sunnies!!!

Soldato
I bought ~£700 worth of sunglasses from Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles a few years ago. All sorts of brands ranging from Endura, Uvex, BBB, Northwave, Spiuk and Oakley.

I tried them all on and wrote 50% of as they didn't fit properly (either didn't sit at the right height, or the gap around the lenses would mean I'd get a lot of air still blowing into my eyes). I wrote 25% off as I looked like a berk (mainly the Oakleys). I wrote another 25% off as the lenses were either too dark or too light, so that only left a couple that I'd consider, and happily they were the two cheapest! Just returned all the others.

I'm still rocking the same £25 pair (Uvex Sportstyle 210) 3 years later. They've been faultless.

I'd strongly recommend trying on as many as you can in person.

Soldato
What do you guys all wear, I tried some Oakley Radars with Prizm lenses today and loved them - much better fit and didn't move at all and the optics were amazing! As you can tell I'm smitten but they still seem expensive...!?

Day to day commuting & bad weather glasses (I wear eye protection all weathers) for the last 4 years have been the DHB Triple lens, although I only tend to wear them with the clear lenses - I found after wearing yellow lenses, although they were great for visibility my eyes were very tired afterwards. For £25 they are superb and well recommended.

Around 12 months ago I picked up a pair of 'chinese' Radarlocks (around £30 from aliexpress), I call them Ladarlocks :D. Wore them as good/best and having interchangable lenses made them perfect. Vents in lenses are superb too. Very hard to tell apart from genuine, only difference I found was more flex in the frame with the end 'catches' not that secure a fit. I always intended to buy some genuine frames but the couple I tried didn't fit the same lenses. YMMV.

My DHB's clear lens are so scratched now I'm wearing my Ladarlocks with clear lenses more and more. I picked up a genuine set of Cavendish Jawbreakers as a treat to myself from Mantel. £115 but I really am only going to be wearing them in the good weather! :cool:

The size/shape of your head really does determine how well glasses fit. I've got a big/wide head/face so big glasses fit me well - but it's a good compromise for all the troubles I have getting a large enough helmet for my melon! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I used the same Dhb Triple Lens as Roady for yonks, no complaints. Though I did find them to slip forward slightly and the frame to be right in my line of sight when on the drops.

Picked up some 'F-Oakleys' from AliExpress two months or so ago for £20. Much preferred the larger single lens which didn't obscure my vision at all. Though due to being cheap copies the nose piece was quite basic and sweat from my face would often run down the inside of the lens /gross.

They actually broke the other day, to be expected, but I'm happy enough in principle to get something similar. I've a week abroad in two weeks time so have a little grace to find something.

uv

uv

Soldato
I've found polarised glasses to be a no-go for commuting - they hide reflections from potholes with puddles, casusing me to get a flat on a couple of occasions until I moved to cheapo DHB glasses!

Having the arms hit the retention mech on my Mojito took some getting used to, but it's fine now!

Back
Top Bottom