Supercapacitor Hand Crank Wind-Up Torches?

Soldato

A few years ago you could buy Wind-up torches that had a capacitor rather than a rechargeable battery , Can you still buy these as i can't find them anywhere?

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
you can probably get them for a pound which is likely why they fail.

why don't you just get a decent usb rechargeable torch

I often use the one for my bike if I go for a walk at the local river/forest at night

or do you just want the batteries? there was a time when those solar powered garden lights had a rechargeable AA battery inside them and you could get them at poundshops.

no idea if they still do

Soldato
These dynamo torches have their place i have a few scattered around
car,van,loft, under stairs.If you don`t plan on using them for ages all they need is a quick wind for light(granted the brightness is far lower than a battery light )

Soldato
OP
Elder members of the family like them to keep in the draw as an emergency and i had a look in the " Spec me a torch " thread but i couldn't find any that were hand crank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Pw6xURVT0

You used to be able to buy the LightStorm CL1 ultracapacitor LED torch above that never needed a Battery but i can't find them anywhere , IKEA do a ultracapacitor torch but it's a ridiculous shape , aimed at kids and is on the Dull side.

The above youtube video shows perfectly what the problem is with standard emergency torches if you leave them for a long time.

Soldato
if it's for keeping in the house as an emergency for something like power cuts stick to the old tech, a paraffin lamp/hurricane lamp/candle can be made into an ornament but also lit and used if needed, and unlike batteries it'll work when needed.

Soldato
Wish you would say Wind up rather than hand crank - I had visions of someone rubbing torch up and down -- I have one in the car ever since we had a puncture late at night and said to wife give me your torch -- I haven't got one - Oh yes you have it's in the little pocket - No I changed my bag and didn't put torch in - - Middle of nowhere - pitch black - no boot light just a mobile phone -not a smart one. - I think it's a Tomaso -got it from car parts shop

Commissario
Elder members of the family like them to keep in the draw as an emergency and i had a look in the " Spec me a torch " thread but i couldn't find any that were hand crank?
My mum has one. When she wanted to use it, she was dismayed to find that she no longer has the strength to turn the handle enough to make it work. Actually she didn't realise that first, she just thought it was broken.

Caporegime
Wish you would say Wind up rather than hand crank - I had visions of someone rubbing torch up and down -- I have one in the car ever since we had a puncture late at night and said to wife give me your torch -- I haven't got one - Oh yes you have it's in the little pocket - No I changed my bag and didn't put torch in - - Middle of nowhere - pitch black - no boot light just a mobile phone -not a smart one. - I think it's a Tomaso -got it from car parts shop
phones have a torch that's probably brighter than these crank ones for situations like that :O

Soldato
I've had wind up torches and lanterns, they are great for 30-60 seconds then the light output drops to a much dimmer one and really not worth the hassle.

I generally use an AA LED front bike light now, cost about £15 and is used every time we go yurting (no electricity/lights). Being a photographer I have an abundance of rechargeable AA's otherwise I'd probably invest in a couple of sets and a solar charger for them if I was out and about. Use Eneloop rechargeable as they don't lose charge over time like most AA's

Edit: What's it to be used for? Generally walking about etc then look for an AA powered LED torch, loads on Amazon. If you want a more widespread light for internal use then consider an LED Inspection Lamp.

Associate
CR123A Primary (non-rechargeable) Lithium cells have a shelf-life of 10 years, so if you want an 'emergency' torch which is always ready to use but provides a good level of output then one which can use this type of cell is a good option. Most torches which are designed for rechargeable 18650 Lithium-ion cells can run on 2xCR123A as well.

You just need to make sure that the torch has a mechanical switch so there is no 'parasitic drain' which would run the cells down over a long timeframe.

Permabanned
They're useful, they often come with two ways to charge, either manually or through solar.

Best stay away from the cheaper one as the battery is tiny, better than nothing though I guess.

Soldato
OP
Well i can see why Super-capacitor torches never took off as they are crap , My neighbour has a couple from when he was a security guard and they are bright for several seconds after winding and then the Super-capacitor voltage drops off an they start to dim.

Back
Top Bottom