US: Supergirl (Arrow/Flash team)

Permabanned
Looks like we'll actually see superman next season http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/superman-supergirl-season-2-the-cw-1201789354/

Superman is officially coming to “Supergirl” in Season 2, with casting currently underway for the role of Clark Kent/Kal-El, the cousin of titular heroine Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist).

Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg released a statement on behalf of the show’s producing team, which includes EPs Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler. “Greg, Ali and I are beyond thrilled to welcome Clark Kent and his slightly-more-famous alter ego to the world of ‘Supergirl,'” Kreisberg said. “Superman will be appearing in the first two episodes of the new season and we cannot wait to see who next dons the red cape!”

The iconic DC Comics hero was often mentioned in Season 1 of “Supergirl,” but was only ever shown from afar or backlit to obscure his face, with the show’s producers frequently stating their desire to establish Kara as a hero in her own right without relying on her more famous cousin. A younger version of Kal-El (played by Daniel DiMaggio) was seen in a dream sequence, and the adult version of the hero played a small role in the Season 1 finale, but Season 2 will mark the first occasion that the character has been cast for a major appearance.

The series has already utilized one actor who previously played Superman — Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”), who now plays Kara’s adoptive father Jeremiah Danvers.

Now that the show has shifted from CBS to sister network The CW, “Supergirl” also has the potential to cross over with another Super-alum, Brandon Routh, who portrayed the Man of Steel in the 2006 film “Superman Returns,” and currently appears as Ray Palmer (aka The Atom) on “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.” Superman is currently played by Henry Cavill on the big screen; Cavill has starred in “Man of Steel” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” and can next be seen in the upcoming “Justice League.”

Permabanned
It would be nice to see him back in the role, especially as he never really got to play it in the first place, but he's said in the past that he's done with Superman/Clark Kent.

Edit - although looking at his IMDb list he's hardly worked at all since Smallville ended so not like he's spoiled for choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no way that Henry Cavill will be in it, he is superman on the big screen and it looks like they are completely segregating the shows from the films. I would love to see Tom Welling though..

What would be flipping brilliant would be to have a scene with Brandon Routh and Superman.. :D

It reminds me of the Hawaii 5 0 scene between the Heroes Characters. :D

Associate
Love that they're going down this route. But it does make me wonder if this is just going to be a one or two shot thing before he gets killed off.

I just can't see them wanting to keep her in a separate universe to the other characters for long, I fully expect this big crossover to involve Kara and cast being moved to the CW-verse with some casualties (like the people who don't want to move to Vancouver for filming) along the way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering Welling didn't even don the costume in the Smallville series Finale, I really can't see him doing this. If he's expressed interest, then I fully expect him to wear the suit and not have it CGI'd onto him. That being said, I would actually prefer they chose another completely unknown actor. That's always been the beauty of Superman casting. Always someone not so well known has been chosen. Let's keep that trend. :)

Soldato
Love that they're going down this route. But it does make me wonder if this is just going to be a one or two shot thing before he gets killed off.

I just can't see them wanting to keep her in a separate universe to the other characters for long, I fully except this big crossover to involve Kara and cast being moved to the CW-verse with some casualties (like the people who don't want to move to Vancouver for filming) along the way.

This Flashpoint Paradox could be a way of integrating the earths to some extent.

Soldato
There is no way that Henry Cavill will be in it, he is superman on the big screen and it looks like they are completely segregating the shows from the films. I would love to see Tom Welling though..

What would be flipping brilliant would be to have a scene with Brandon Routh and Superman.. :D

It reminds me of the Hawaii 5 0 scene between the Heroes Characters. :D

I'm still trying to get my head around Dean Cains character lol. Jeremiah Danvers (Cain), Ray Palmer (Routh) and superman in a room. lol. All we need is a cameo from Teri Hacher :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Good casting for this, I thought he was decent in teen wolf.

As someone pointed out in the comments on that site, Tyler is 4 inches shorter than the guy who plays Jimmy. Going to look pretty odd when they are on screen together. Maybe they didn't envisage having Superman appear on the show when they cast a tall muscular man to play Jimmy Olsen just for female viewers to swoon over, but they really should have considered that was likely to happen at some point. Going by appearances alone, Kal-El is going to look a little bit less super.

Soldato
As someone pointed out in the comments on that site, Tyler is 4 inches shorter than the guy who plays Jimmy. Going to look pretty odd when they are on screen together. Maybe they didn't envisage having Superman appear on the show when they cast a tall muscular man to play Jimmy Olsen just for female viewers to swoon over, but they really should have considered that was likely to happen at some point. Going by appearances alone, Kal-El is going to look a little bit less super.

I thought the same with HC who's around only 6'1"ish. Sure he's got the muscles but without the height he looks odd as Superman.

Soldato
6' 1" is probably borderline. A little short, but I think they can get away with someone that height playing Superman, if they don't cast taller people in key roles. Cavill's height was probably less of an issue in MoS, but in BvS, that stands out more because he's 3 inches shorter than Affleck. It's Batman though, who is a superhero and also supposed to be tall, so having a Superman that isn't as tall as Batman can be forgiven. More so at least, than having Superman 4 inches shorter than Jimmy Olsen, who really should be around 4 inches shorter than Superman. :/ That is going to stick out like a sore thumb. :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can make anyone look taller on film anyway so it's not really an issue, *cough* Tom Cruise. Batman being taller than Superman in BvS was intentional, from an interview with the producer:
We wanted Batman to tower over Superman. Not hugely, not like a basketball player. Superman needed to 'look up' to Batman. We wanted that dynamic, and Ben could do that, easily.

Soldato
They should have gone with Tom Welling as alternative'verse Superman to explain the complete lack of history from Smallville series. The amount of viewers they would have gathered with that one move would have made any price worth while.

Back
Top Bottom