Surround Sound Setup or 2nd PC Monitor?

Soldato
Am looking at getting either a Denon 1907 Amp and Yamaha 5.1 Speakers, or a 2nd 19" Monitor.

What would you choose?

I currently have no surround sound and a Naff Puny hi-fi system.

However, a second monitor has its uses.

I game mainly on the PC and watch TV etc on it.

Thoughts?

Soldato
jellybeard999 said:
budget ?
pc uses (in order of usage) ?
ever watch films on the pc ?

Budget - £350

PC Usage
Gaming
Web Browsing
Photo/Video Editing

Ocassionally watch films on the PC if the TV is allready in use.

Soldato
In all honesty, if its just for games, id just go for a £40 Creative or Logitech 5.1 setup. Im not sure how many would agree with me here, but I doubt games have that much effort put into audio quality.

Soldato
jellybeard999 said:
In all honesty, if its just for games, id just go for a £40 Creative or Logitech 5.1 setup. Im not sure how many would agree with me here, but I doubt games have that much effort put into audio quality.

I agree. For gaming, yes, but definitely not for films.

Soldato
The AMP/Speakers would not be connected to the PC, they would be in the front room with the TV for Film use with a Digital output from the PC for when listening to CD's.

Currently have a standard 28" TV with built in Stereo speakers (BUSH).

Pho

Pho

Soldato
In that case I'd personally go for the amp/speaker set-up. It made a huge difference to me when I set-up surround-sound with my TV (which was a 28" Bush too until it blew up).

I didn't spend much on the set-up either. I reused some Sony speakers with a Sony AV Receiver I bought off eBay and bought a Wharfedale centre. Total cost was about £120. DVDs in 5.1 sounds great and even normal Freeview TV (the amp outputs a stereo input into a pretty accurate 5.1) much better :)

Soldato
I have the 1907, and was orginially using my TV sound for gaming via the 360. The surround sound really does improve the experience.

Although saying that, if you really want a second screen a £50 PC pair of 5.1's should do the trick. That said, If you buy the amp you wont be disapointed and have the potential for 7.1 set up. :)

Associate
why don't you just get the Yamaha AV PACKAGE 59 for around 200-220 (look around).

The denon is supposed to be great, but you're going to need to spend a lot more than that on speakers to get the most of it. with the same budget speakers you plan on getting I'm guessing the yamaha reciever will sound just about as good.

and this way you have about 150 left to go towards your monitor fund.

that is unless you plan on upgrading the speakers eventually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom