Surround sound system possibilities?

Soldato
At the moment, I have a Subwoofer on my desk and 2 small speakers either side of my monitor. It's good (and for £25 quite bassy) but I would like to look into upgrading. Preferably a speaker in each corner, if possible? I know my uncle has one in his living room and movies on that were mindblowing..

Mainly wanting it for games, so the enemy literally sounds like he is behind me etc.

What would you suggest?

As for budget, up to £200, if possible. I have no real knowledge of prices and systems etc.

Edit: https://www.dolby.com/in/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/7-1-setup.html Like this. Speakers on stands maybe a no go, as my bed is the corner near the window. so I might have to rethink.

5.1, not 7.1 I won't enough spaces to allocate them all.

Last edited:
Soldato
You need a AV amplifier.
Then 5 speakers
Then a subwoofer.

HDMI, speaker cables.

For £200 I'd skip 5.1 totally and just go stereo, and even then £200 is pushing it for quality.

Soldato
yup, a good pair of speakers is just under £200.
A stereo amplifier starts at about £200.

For 5.1 you're looking at £200-£300 for a AVR, then about £600 for 5 speakers, then another £300 for a subwoofer.

Soldato
You can buy a 5.1 speaker system for £200, but it won't be anything great. Better than flat screen TV speakers but not great. Even if you buy second hand stretching your budget, could be done
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO
TOPAZ AM1
plus £70 for the second hand speakers...

Soldato
For gaming, £200 is not too low for a 5.1 system. Logitech Z906 can be had for £200 which is aimed at gamer's. TBH, I'd just get that.

The Z906 will blow the doors off a £25 2.1 set of speakers. Sure a £200 5.1 system might sound mediocre to someone who has audio gear that may have cost several thousand, but that's to be expected.

OP is at the start of his audio journey. Going from something that cost him £25 to something that is £200 is a good move in my opinion. For someone wanting a surround system, it's a heck of a lot better than those all in one DVD based 5.1 systems.

Back
Top Bottom