Swapping out DSLR kit for mirrorless.... Opinions?

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wondering what the opinion was of the new crop of mirrorless cameras?
I currently have a canon 350D with a 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 and 300 f/4. Whilst these are smaller lenses compared to their f/2.8 versions, they're still pretty heavy, and I'm finding I rarely use my camera as I don't want to lug it around.

For a while I've been thinking a need a new body to rekindle my love of photography, but on second thoughts I think I need a new system.

I really like the look of the NEX series (probably the NEX 5N with 16+18-55 kit), mainly due to the aps-c format. I have a nikon FE2 slr so the ability to use F mount lenses (and many others) on a NEX without having unusable focal lengths is appealing (Nikon 1 series is pretty useless in this department).
The main thing I am worried about is the usability, I haven't been able to get my hands on a NEX yet. How are the functions laid out? If It had a shooting mode dial I'd get one on a flash but I'm worried I'll have to dig around a load of touch screen menus to change from Av to Tv for example.
Anyone have any real world experience with this? What else should I be looking at? The Fuji X10 looks appealing but I feel its more of a retro toy than a serious tool.

Thanks

Soldato
For me the NEX bodies are a little to small unless you only use the dedicated primes, the APS-C sensor forces the lenses to be to big once you gen into zooms making the tiny body a pointless compromise.

If I was going mirrorless I'd look at either the panosonic or Olympus offerings and I certainly wouldn't rule out the new nikon offering on compatability with big slr lenses if you want a small system you don't want to be using big lenses.

Caporegime
Hi all,

Just wondering what the opinion was of the new crop of mirrorless cameras?
I currently have a canon 350D with a 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 and 300 f/4. Whilst these are smaller lenses compared to their f/2.8 versions, they're still pretty heavy, and I'm finding I rarely use my camera as I don't want to lug it around.

For a while I've been thinking a need a new body to rekindle my love of photography, but on second thoughts I think I need a new system.

I really like the look of the NEX series (probably the NEX 5N with 16+18-55 kit), mainly due to the aps-c format. I have a nikon FE2 slr so the ability to use F mount lenses (and many others) on a NEX without having unusable focal lengths is appealing (Nikon 1 series is pretty useless in this department).
The main thing I am worried about is the usability, I haven't been able to get my hands on a NEX yet. How are the functions laid out? If It had a shooting mode dial I'd get one on a flash but I'm worried I'll have to dig around a load of touch screen menus to change from Av to Tv for example.
Anyone have any real world experience with this? What else should I be looking at? The Fuji X10 looks appealing but I feel its more of a retro toy than a serious tool.

Thanks

The thing is the lenses for the NEX will be almost the exact same size as for a Canon or Nikon crop DSLR, and this is where all the weight of a complete system is. If you like the small lenses then just buy the equivalent in Canon EF-S and you're done.
Buy a Canon 15-85 and Canon 70-300mm 5.6. OR just a single Tamron 18-270mm and you are good to go without having to change systems.

M4/3rds starts to make more sense because the smaller sensor allow for some small lenses but the sensors really need updating and my feeling is you are stuck in a kind of middle ground.

This may be where the Nikon 1 wins out, with a truly small system but it is too new to be a serious competitor. The IQ is great considering. Could make a good investment with lots of small HQ primes in the future. Also c-mount lenses work a treat on the Nikon 1 format.

Otherwise look at the usual s95/100, Xz-1, LX5 compacts

Soldato
I'd say the NEX7 is probably the one to go for. It's got a more traditional layout and great built in EVF.

Don't write off Micro 43rds, they have some wonderful lenses and decent, sexy bodies that are cheap as chips.

Get an Olympus E-P2 body for £200-£250 and a £5 F-mount adaptor from ebay, if that doesn't rekindle your love of photography nothing will :D

Soldato
I've personally just sold off all my SLR gear and my seperate video camera. Despite having a fairly compact setup and no zoom, my camera bag still weighed...well....I'm unsure, but it was a drag carrying it about all day when out and abotu when you already have other things to carry.

I am personally waiting and watching in hope at M43rds stuff. I want a compact body with built in EVF to come out - similar to the Olympus Pen stuff but with the built in EVF. I simply will not buy mirrorless with no built in EVF. The Nex camera system is too expensive and has an awful lens line up instantly writing off the compact and gorgeous body with added cumbersome lenses.

For me the only buy right now worth going for in mirrorless - that is affordable to me - is a Panasonic G3. I just wish it was smaller. The m43rds lenses I am interested in are the new Vario X power kit zoom, the 20mm pancake prime and the 45mm prime. I decided that selling up was the right thing to do as I was just not using my DSLR due to the "effort" required to plan taking it places and worry about the size and weight and cost of it.

M43rds (when I buy) or an equivalent mirrorless system, I hope will give me that compact "go anywhere" creativity that I love to have. I like to be able to sling a cam in a bag that is truely compact and has video all in the same body with minimal compromise. We are still a little way from something amazing. The Nex 7 has come closest, but the lens line up needs to improve.

Soldato
I've picked up a nex-5n + 18-55 kit. So far it's been very easy to use and surprisingly gives better results than my D300 + 16-85vr. The combo is almost identical size to my older GF1 + 14-42mm so easily hand holdable and you can shove it in any size of bag. I'm going to sell some of my dslr kit now, I'll only keep the d300 + 70-200 2.8 and 1.7tc for use with animals/sports and sell off pretty much everything with shorter range.

The sensor in the 5n is excellent, it's pretty much the same as in the d7000 making it much better than the older 10mp m4/3 sensor. AF is fine for slower/still photography and you have manual tweaking after focus as well (not quite as good as full manual override). It struggles in lower light or with fast moving subjects. Leaving the camera in full auto mode is pretty scary, it works very well for any std snaps especially combined with the silent OS in the kit lens.

I've played with the nikon J1 and V1 in a few camera shops. AF on them is very very good for a compact camera, it also uses large batteries so will have great battery life. For normal light shooting it gives good results, not quite D7k/5n quality but still very usable with nice Nikon colours. It starts to get worse with lower light though where the smaller sensor can't keep up. I think at anything over iso 400 there's built in noise reduction to raw files which is a bit cheeky. Have a look on the dpreview forums for some great user shots that have been taken with the V1+1030 kit lens.

The 5n makes more sense to me right now as it's cheaper than a V1 and has better image quality than either v1 or m4/3 series. I have the d300 for fast paced photography so the slower AF just isn't an issue in normal use. And I'd like to play with some older MF lenses which is where the 5n really shines with it's adapters and peaking technology. hint hint Voigtlander 15 makes for a tiny wide angle package with good quality.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I'm probably going to go for the Panasonic GX1 when it's out, looks pretty good and decent selection of lenses.

Soldato
If I hadn't already bought the 5n I'd have given the GX1 a series try, the GF1's been my favourite camera so far I think as it has a really nice size and build with good layout of controls for a compact. The g3 sensor in the GX1 is meant to be pretty good.

Associate
I had a play around with the J1/V1 (can't remember which one it was!) the other day at work.

I had never really seen the point in mirrorless compacts before, however after a proper good play i've decided I "must have one" I love the idea of being able to take all my current Nikon lenses with me and using on a much more compact body, ideal for walkabout stuff. The 2.4x magnification with the adapter might be a little bit tricky at first but could make it work.

Also had a play around with the super slowwwwwwwww 400fps motion mode, yes it only shoots in standard def, but must say i was very impressed, did the whole spinning the coin video, looked stunning.

Soldato
OP
So I think I'm still taken by the nex, had a play on one and It feels good:) All my gears for sale over in the members market if anyones interested in a load of canon stuff;)

Thanks for your help all.

Soldato
I'm probably going to go for the Panasonic GX1 when it's out, looks pretty good and decent selection of lenses.

Same here. My current choices are either the Panasonic GX1 or going for the Sony NEX-5N.

Was hoping to go for the GX1 but not sure if it would arrive prior to Xmas and I kind of need it for then :D

Soldato
Have you guys tried the new NX200 by Samsung? I've had the NX10 but really like the NX200 a lot. Its a bit smaller and the image quality of the new sensor seems very good. Tried it using my 30mm lens instore and it was very fast and produced some nice samples.

Soldato
I've not really looked in to it, there's some links to reviews here Wow the raw files are 50mb each :o

Hmm the lcd doesn't tilt and is pretty reflective, also it can't accept an evf (wouldn't bother me).

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a nice handling camera and feels well built. The file sizes are large in RAW but the JPEGS seems to be simliar to most others. The couple of test shots I have are 4.2MB each.

Back
Top Bottom