Switch game recommendations for 6 yr old of middling ability

Associate
Looking for recommendations for my son.

In terms of ability, I'd say he's pretty good - for his age.

He has *smashed* Odyssey (well over 600 moons). The only level he can't do is the Darker Side of the Moon - which I can't do either.

He's completed Kirby - I had to help with the final boss, but that was a few months ago, he might fair better now.

He's done alright with Super Mario 3D world on the Wii U - though some of the levels are a bit tricky (he can get through them, but not get all the stars, so he's getting to the point where he's struggling to progress).

I'm trying him on Breath of the Wild - which I think is probably a little too complex. He can manage the running round hitting things, but quests and inventory management are a little beyond him (and are necessary for the game).

Super Phantom Cat was OK to start with, but I think it got a bit hard (or he grew bored with it).

So... suggestions for where next? Doesn't have to be a platformer. There's Yoshi's crafted world - but I'm worried that might be a little *too* easy. Rayman Legens seems an option - but I've never played any Rayman games, so don't know they play. I might get Link's Awakening for myself, and see if he can manage that.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully accepted.

Soldato
As someone who gamed from the age of 7 and still does at 38 and has an 8 year old kid - get him outside and/or some other hobbies as that sounds like a potentially unhealthy amount of gaming time for a 6 year old.

Quite possible you do this already or I'm totally wrong in some other way in which case ignore me and here are my suggestions:
Celeste has a heap of difficulty options so you can dial it back to the point where it's essentially impossible to lose (not that it sounds like your lad needs that).
Hollow Knight is fantastic but it's pretty tough in places.

Have you considered getting the online subscription and hooking him up with the SNES games? They still hold up very well, there are some absolute classics (Mario World, Yoshi, Metroid, Zelda, etc) and it will be a lot cheaper :)

Associate
OP
Aha, that's how you get the SNES games on Switch - I thought they were available, on there, but I was just searching the store.

Regarding other hobbies: He does (with much grumbling) and his gaming time is limited* I'd just rather he played quality things rather than ******** Roblox.

*admittedly he probably still plays more than he should - but I feel a right hypocrite telling him not to seeing as I spent a very large amount of my youth in front of a Spectrum/Amiga.

Soldato
Have you considered getting the online subscription and hooking him up with the SNES games? They still hold up very well, there are some absolute classics (Mario World, Yoshi, Metroid, Zelda, etc) and it will be a lot cheaper :)

Good call! I still rate Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island over any of the 2D Mario's that followed. They absolutely still hold up. Ori and Rayman are also very good. As is Donkey Kong. You're spoilt for choice with Switch platform games. Also check out Inside - it's a must have. Possibly a little too dark in theme for a 6 year old.

Soldato
Possibly? Yeah that's definitely not a good idea :)

Rayman Legends, snes app and Ori though there's a ton of content there. Link's Awakening is also great and not too hard. Any kid (or adult) would adore Yoshi's Crafted World, too.

Soldato
Sonic Mania isnt too bad, not that hard either. A few of the Lego games are on the Switch too. Dragon Quest Builders if they are into those types of games.

Back
Top Bottom