Synchronisation/mounting of folders from NAS?

Soldato
Right then. Getting used to my iMac and gradually trying to switch everything over from my PC, but having less than half the HD space available means some adaptation is needed.

I've got a 250GB USB external drive which is dedicated to Time Machine, that's fine, great, super. I've also got a 1TB NAS which I'd like to use for storing my videos and such on to be able to stream them when I want to play one. Additionally, I'd like my music directory in both locations to be synchronised...

How do I get a network location to mount automatically and how might I go about the synchronisation? :)

Associate
I use a script to mount my NAS drives and iDisk at login, you need something like this:

tell application "Finder"
mount volume "smb://username: password@drive/folder"
mount volume "http://idisk.mac.com/username/" as user name "username" with password "password""
end tell

To sync the folders you could possibly setup a cron job to do that

Soldato
OP
You don't need the applescript, just mount the network drive and drag it into your login items. Now it'll automount at logon.

I'll have a bash in a bit :)

As for synchronisation, if you mean syncing 2 iTunes libraries then check out syncOtunes.

No, just a folder to keep a backup of my music on my NAS and so I've got a copy that I could mount on my MB if I wanted music on there without turning my computer on. That program does look useful though.

Associate
You don't need the applescript, just mount the network drive and drag it into your login items. Now it'll automount at logon.

As for synchronisation, if you mean syncing 2 iTunes libraries then check out syncOtunes.

Yes that works fine unless you need to authenticate on your NAS, i.e. if your NAS box asks your for a username and password every time you want to connect to it.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Will it work if I've got it stored in my keychain? Is there some way of putting into the AppleScript some kind of escape if the NAS doesn't respond?

Yeah, should be fine if you've got the password stored in the keychain

Soldato
OP
Thread bumpage... I've still not found anything that truly does what I want. On Windows, I used SyncToy, which seemed to fit the bill perfectly - any changes I make to the filesystem in that folder on here just get copied to the NAS.

Any program suggestions? :)

Back
Top Bottom