Synology NAS set up advice please for Covid-19 related file sharing use.

GM2

GM2

Associate
My office currently runs an ageing SBS2013 server and we have a very poor broadband connection (roughly 8-10 down and 0.8-1.0 up). I've discussed upgrading this in another thread, but for the moment, we're stuck with what we have.

Remote email access is fine, but I'd like to improve the remote file access. The obvious way to do this seemed to make a copy of all current files (about 1Tb) onto a new Synology 220j NAS drive and then physically locate this at one of the director's houses, where he has 30 down and 15 up. Not lightening fast, but quick enough and much better than the office.

The idea is for users (only about 6) to then be able to access this to access old files. Any new files to be added here too and synced back to the server manually at some point in the future. Possibly by putting them in a 'New files' area. Not ideal and some sort of syncing would be better, but given limited internet speed, this would work fine and can live with it.

So, parts bought and put together. NAS up and running and ready to go, but I have a few set up etc questions I'd be grateful for some advice on:
  • I've been told I ought to enable https. But doing this then creates access issues for the remote staff who get errors. Is it necessary, or could I just revert to http?
  • I set it up at home last night, but now in the office, I couldn't access through Chrome:
    This site can’t provide a secure connection
    192.168.xx.xx doesn't adhere to security standards.

ERR_SSL_SERVER_CERT_BAD_FORMAT

and no option to ignore. Managed to access using Edge.

On Edge the message is: The original certificate provided by the web server is untrusted. It's seemingly a Synology certificate, dated last night from when I was setting up.
  • If necessary, is there an easy way round it? If I install some sort of certificate, will that then be out dated when the NAS is physically moved to the director's house? I ideally need him to be able to just plug it in and turn it on, without needing to configure anything?
  • If certificates are the answer, are these 'self created' on the NAS or through 'Let's Encrypt'? If the latter, any guidance appreciated!
  • Do I just connect it to a standard network cable at the office (it is currently) and drag and drop or is there a better way to transfer the data over, either by physically connecting it differently or by using some sort of import function or an app?
Sorry for all the questions, but any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated!!

Soldato
When you sat down and decided to do this, what was the logic behind not going Office 365 or GSuite Business? For small head counts like this they seem like a no brainier and a lot cheaper to implement/scale/manage securely than what you are trying to do.

Caporegime
Use Synology Drive, and generate a Let's Encrypt certificate for it. You will want to use the Application Portal to map the 'drive.yourcompany.com' domain directly to the Drive service.

That should give you enough to search for and get started with, I'm phone posting so I can't list out all the steps right now.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
When you sat down and decided to do this, what was the logic behind not going Office 365 or GSuite Business? For small head counts like this they seem like a no brainier and a lot cheaper to implement/scale/manage securely than what you are trying to do.
....we have a very poor broadband connection (roughly 8-10 down and 0.8-1.0 up)

Would be great, but with the broadband we currently have, not suitable for us on an on-going basis generally, particularly as on some days we can be adding 200 - 300 photos.

As and when we can get the broadband sorted, will definitely be something we will look at and probably implement.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Use Synology Drive, and generate a Let's Encrypt certificate for it. You will want to use the Application Portal to map the 'drive.yourcompany.com' domain directly to the Drive service.

That should give you enough to search for and get started with, I'm phone posting so I can't list out all the steps right now.

Many thanks. Will this still work when we relocate the drive to the director's house and it isn't attached to our domain?

Soldato
Would be great, but with the broadband we currently have, not suitable for us on an on-going basis generally, particularly as on some days we can be adding 200 - 300 photos.

As and when we can get the broadband sorted, will definitely be something we will look at and probably implement.

I think @Avalon 's point was instead of the Synology for use now, you'd pay half of that for six months subscription to a proper cloud provider without any hassle - 1TB will upload in a couple of days from whoever has the best internet connection (I assume you can move your current server). Then when it's all over, pull all the gdrive/onedrive files onto one PC and copy them onto your existing office based server to bring it all back together.

Also sounds like you're hosting your own email which in this day and age for any small business (or indeed big business) is just a hassle you don't need.

Anyhow good luck with the Synology and I hope remote working doesn't stifle your business too much.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Ah, OK. Take the point, but a) Not easy to move the server - it's a fairly large Dell T620 and we are still accessing the office periodically (and singly), so would scupper that. But I guess could have copied everything to an external HDD and then taken that somewhere with a better upload. Might have been better! But not overly worried by the cost and the NAS will also be re-purposed once this is all over.

Email, we are still running Exchange, but that's because it's been that way historically for a long time! But intending to move the email to 365 within the next few weeks.

Not saying we're doing anything the best way! But we are where we are now! So trying to make the best of what we have.

Soldato
I couldn't access through Chrome...ERR_SSL_SERVER_CERT_BAD_FORMAT

I suspect AV/security app is blocking the connection; whitelisting the address of the Synology should solve it. Failing that, use a different browser as you can certainly use self assigned certs. for HTTPS on Synology's.

Do I just connect it to a standard network cable at the office (it is currently) and drag and drop or is there a better way to transfer the data over, either by physically connecting it differently or by using some sort of import function or an app?

Either use Synology Drive as @Caged mentioned or just mount a Samba on SBS2013 share and copy/paste. Once you have the data on the Synology, you can organise accordingly.

...the NAS will also be re-purposed once this is all over.

Using it as a offsite backup wouldn't be a bad idea ;)

Also, don't unnecessarily expose the Synology to the internet. Rather, lock it down (run through Security Adviser for the basics) and setup the (built-in) VPN server for remote workers.

Back
Top Bottom