1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Syria - What is to be done?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by George Hincapie, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Skunkworks

Soldato

When the side we like the least is clearly winning.

2. Devlish

Soldato

Its all very well saying this was not done by the regime, but stating it does not make it true. For instance, the manner of delivery requires delivery methods exclusively in the hands of the Syrian Army. The amount of chemicals used, especially if Sarin, remain very strictly in the control of the Syrian Army. Theres evidence of Syrian Army preparing for the attack and theres comms from after it.

As to the why, theres a whole host of reasons. Maybe the regime though the west would be paralysed and they could get away with - as they are currently doing. maybe they thought Russia and China would protect them - as they currently are. I think personally the High Command was not told, and it was Assads brother, a maniac with a massive grudge from a near fatal bombing, repsponsible for clearing the Damascus suburbs and in possession of an army base with the necessary chemicals and weaponry and a faltering offensive as the most likely suspect.

In all honesty until we see any evidence to the contrary the evidence points overwhelmingly to the SAA.

3. zoomee

Soldato

I will wait with abated breath for this evidence you speak of - not ;) -

I'm sure if it was 'overwhelming' our prime minister would have used it in front of his colleagues the other day.....

4. Devlish

Soldato

Well firstly, the fact that the rocket delivery systems and the chemical weapons are in the hands of the SAA. The alternative is that the SAA lost a lot of chemical weapons and didnt mention it, and the Israelis didnt notice.

Second is the intelligence data, some of which I hope we'll see in the congressional debate. We know SAA activity was reported at a site used by the SAA to mix the weapons (theyre not stored 'ready to use', presumably for degradation reasons) prior to the attack, there are intercepts of SAA units in the area being advised such an attack was incoming and preparing for it, and confused comms straight after about the attack and who ordered it, and an answer to that.

So thats the weight of evidence for it, whats the evidence the FSA/SLF did it? I havent heard that yet?

5. LuckyCharms

PermaBanned

6. AR81

Gangster

7. AR81

Gangster

I can see the logic as war would cost us a hell of a lot more.

Why this Island should give money away though, i don't know.

8. arknor

Caporegime

that's just 52m extra bringing us up to around 400m

According to kerry the arab countries were willing to pay for the whole invasion they should pay for the damn aid as well...
    but they don't give a crap about the syrian civilians.

we should cut foreign aid/bribes to countries where we don't end up with more money back from business and put our own country in order

9. AR81

Gangster

I just hope they don't all end up here!!

10. arknor

Caporegime

I'm sure we will take in our "fair share" if cameron gets more world face time which seems to be the most important thing.
    we should stop trying to be on the world stage with the big boys and concentrate on getting rid of our tiny islands 1.2 trillion debt

if your in debt in real life you don't go making charity donations or taking people in off the streets

11. AR81

Gangster

I think we've had our fair share since 1997.

Genocide! :(

12. zenf

Wise Guy

The evidence seems to be very thin, I posted this link in the GD thread but I'll leave it here too, it's worth a read.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/18559-how-intelligence-was-twisted-to-support-an-attack-on-syria

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  13. nightrider1470

Mobster

Why are Russia so tied to Syria?

14. zenf

Wise Guy

This is a massive oversimplification, but Russia is one of Syria's biggest arms suppliers and they want to prevent the spread of US influence in the region.

15. nightrider1470

Mobster

So do you think Russia even if the evidence shows convincingly Syria used WOMD they will always side with them?

Is there any possibility of a WW3? Or is the American and allied countries far to powerful for Russia to even contemplate standing up to?...... Do Russia and Syria have any other "major" allies?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  16. zenf

Wise Guy

I believe Russia have said that they'll agree with the findings of the UN investigators and haven't ruled out supporting a UN measure authorising military intervention, but I expect they'd veto it anyway on the basis of finding a political solution.

China and Iran... Seeing as Russia, China and Iran have said they won't tolerate unauthorised US military action in Syria, I do think there could be a possibility if the US don't heed the warnings.

17. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Russia don't want any foreign military powers anywhere in Asia, pretty much.

18. scorza

Caporegime

Think it's more to do with the Russian naval base at Tartus in Syria - I think it's their only one in the Med.

19. ThestigGT999

Sgarrista

20. Ilikeitblackplease

Wise Guy