T-Mobile vs Vodafone (vs 3): Internet FUP's and worries!

Soldato
Toying between Chitter Chatter (T-Mobile reseller) and Vodafone.

Both have pro's and cons, but it essentially boils down to the internet on both of them i guess when all is taken into account.

Now they both come with 500mb internet which i agree is pitiful (but for the money it's not bad :)), my problem is Chitter Chatter uses the T-Mobile network which i've heard is subject to fairly terrible throttling now days? Is this true? If i get any booster as opposed to paying for a premium Web'n'Walk service i'll basically be shafted to 3G not HSDPA+ or whatever?

Is Vodafone any better? The vodafone deal i've been offered is technically cheaper but i'm unsure of their internet FUP beyond what it states in their T&C's.

In summary
Chitter Chatter offer 12month contract £15 per month gives 500/600/500mb + 2 free cineworld tickets every month (thing is i'd definitely use these as my girlfriend has an unlimited cineworld card, but i'd never really go more than twice a month!)

Vodafone offer 12month contract £10.xx per month 900/3000/500mb

Dark horse 3 have been rumoured to give a truly unlimited mobile internet (skype+all protocols etc...) next month on all of their monthly contracts for an extra £3per month, so they would offer 12month contract 300/3000/1Gb (then unlimited) for £13 per month. What is the FUP like with 3?

Then i've obviously got to worry about signal, i know i have no problem with T-Mob around here as i used to use them, 3 share t-mob signal so that shouldn't be an issue. 3 i've had no experience with but obviously they've improved since their awful days and i'm sure (ignoring their terrible CS) they'd be fine, right?

Basically i think what this boils down to really is can you get away with the chitter chatter sim, because i think i want it but i'm scared not only does it have a **** small cap, but its also throttled as well!

//Edit: Also with regard to travelling what options do i have, i know with the t-mobile boosters i used to have a range of very decent euro and outside options, not always cheap, but cheaper than my friends at the time last year! Are 3 and/or vodafone on par now days? I remember vodafone have a summer or roaming a few years back, but i guess that was just advertising...?

Quick browsing suggest 3 are in the dark ages abroad, vodafone have some prepay options but they're limited at best, which is a shame because i do get around a bit...

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really sure on the caps but have you tried Talkmobile instead of Vodafone? Same network but often more competitive pricing. My new Talkmobile SIM was connected to HSDPA as soon as I put the settings in :) . I also got 1GB on mine, though obviously that depends on the exact tariff.

Soldato
T-mobile will limit you to just 3G speeds which is 45kb/s or 350kb, and even if they remove that limit its still capped at 2mb. On the other hand my friend on vodaphone gets 4-6mb most of the time so its not even close on a internet front.

Soldato
Is Vodafone any better?

There's no throttling on Vodafone. If you run over your allowance then you are charged £5 for another 250MB.

//Edit: Also with regard to travelling what options do i have?

Calls and texts come out of your inclusive allowance in Europe. Data is £2/day for 25MB in most European countries, or you can pay £10 for a month on 25MB/day. Pretty good IMHO, certainly served me well in Amsterdam.

Soldato
OP
Right so i guess i'd rather pay to go the cinema with my girlfriend and get a decent mobile contract, can't possibly put up with t-mob's shenanigans...

Vodafone (or Talk mobile as you say) look very interesting, as do 3. I'm gonna make a jump this month, but at least i've certainly marked t-mob off my list. I was worried about them!

Man of Honour
If you regularly use a lot of data on Vodafone you can add on the tethering pack or premium pack which gives you 2gig for £15 on top of your current allowance - I think you pay less for overage if you have one of those packs to but I can't find the details atm.

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm think i've already sold myself with a SIMple talk mobile plan 1Gb un-throttled is enough for me :) Plus minutes and texts that come with that plan are far beyond what i will ever use. In fact i am going to ring them tomorrow to ask if i can have a lesser plan and pay extra for the internet, as i'll never use the texts/minutes, but i guess that's their idea!

Associate
go with 3 if you want good data speeds. I broke the 11meg barrier on my sensation doing a speed test this week. I dont know how anyone accepts the t-mobile speed capping. 3 also do a 2gb add-on for a fiver a month and they allow tethering officially with the add-on. Cheers.

Caporegime
Out of related interest (sorry if Im taking this off tangent) if we considered all the network operators (and resellers) who provides the best speed/coverage/allowance/out of allowance data rates when it comes to SIMO deals?

Im with TMobile 12M SIMO on an iP4 and its only £7.50 as its a half price deal thats soon to expire so looking at a replacement network. Main reason I like this as it still provides me with the old Android 3Gb allowance and as its directly bought from TMobile I get the max speeds they allow; but from the talk here there seems to be other providers given out faster speeds, something that obviously interests me (though so does the allowance - I cant cope with 500Mb)

Any ideas? Obviously looking at comparable costs...

EDIT: Just noticed that Ive got a 'Capped Data Rate' Booster on my account?!? Speedtest app says my conn is 1.75MbpsD/0.4MbpsU - sound right?
For £7.50/£15 Im getting 600mins; Unlimited Texts and 3gb Data - think thats gonna be very hard to beat...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You've almost convinced me to go with 3, but i still have that nagging feeling that vodafone might serve me better all round... Am i just being silly?

Read this today which worries me a bit, but also means if 3 get a decent spectrum in the future they might be pretty good.

Indoors 3 aren't really so hot whenever i've been with my friends anyways, whereas vodafone tend to be all round, maybe not as fast as 3, but hey at least i can make a phone call when i'm in the highlands (and i am fairly often on my bike!)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok so i'm done, PAC entered and paid let's see how this goes, i changed my tune a little, phoned up and the only way to add an extra 500mb is to pay an extra £5 a month, which seems a little daft, so for now i've went with their 6month £8pm deal (300/1000/500mb) which also has £30.30 cashback, this means i've paid £2.95 a month after cashback (assuming it tracks) which no matter how bad the service is i think i can put up with! If i need more minutes/texts (unlikely) or more importantly data i can upgrade the tariff before my 6months are over. I see this as win win! :)

Soldato
OP
Sorry yeah i never actually said, but thought it was obvious, went with Talk Mobile in the end SIMple plan (SIM only) 6 Month £8pm (300/100/500mb) deal with £30.30 cashback from topcashback.
Don't think theirs much better right now, lets just hope it all works out, that I keep my number, and cashback tracks!

Man of Honour
Sorry yeah i never actually said, but thought it was obvious, went with Talk Mobile in the end SIMple plan (SIM only) 6 Month £8pm (300/100/500mb) deal with £30.30 cashback from topcashback.
Don't think theirs much better right now, lets just hope it all works out, that I keep my number, and cashback tracks!

Cool thanks, yeah I didn't readily notice as I'm fighting a 3 day long migrane and you mentioned lots of providers :)

That looks a great deal, my contract only has 3 months left and its cheap enough to run side by side and just use when my other ends :)

Soldato
OP
Ha, well lets hope this isn't starting as we mean to go on!

So Talk Mobile have ported my number today, I know this because my current T-Mobile sim has just deactivated. It's a shame they haven't managed to deliver the Talk-Mobile sim card to myself yet!? :D

Soldato
OP
Well it arrived today and everything has went very smoothly, slight APN issue with my phone, calls/texts were fine, internet not so much. Quick call to CS they ere most friends and just went over APN details, worked within seconds. Internet is blazing fast to what i'm used to, call quality seems VERY good so far. No complaints so far!

Soldato
OP
Well a few months down the line and i've actually to apparently be able to stick within their "500mb" monthly inclusive data, I swear they're way over zealous with the metering! I guess this would be how they make their money, since my girlfriend managed £25 extra data last month accidentally, and when i realised (i do check the usage online often) i was running out too quickly i started turn OFF data unless absolutely necessary yet i've still managed to go £9 ex VAT already over this month with one week remaining! :D

Cheers TalkMobile you're not so cheap anymore :p I realise this is kinda my fault, but i've never managed to use this much data before in the last half decade, and i havent started doing anything different, in fact nothing has changed except the provider...

Hmmmm must beat them at their own game and be even more careful :p

Apart from that i've been super impressed, network here in Edinburgh is spot of solid nd reliable, and data speeds are QUICK! easy 5Mbs Down 1.25Mbs Up, which is lightening compared to T-Mobile paltry speeds i use to receive....

Back
Top Bottom