Tablet for Parents

Soldato
Hello, my parents have asked me to find them a tablet.

They are off to New Zealand next year for about 6 weeks and want something they can check their emails, look on the internet for updates and local places using the 3G network out there, transfer photos from their camera/cameras and to do a bit of skype-ing.

They are after a 10" ish screen as their eye sight is no longer the best. I was looking at the Galaxy Tab 2. But is this the best on the market? They don't really wish to spend iPad money on one of these either.

Associate
Pretty sure the Galaxy Tab 2 falls into the Ipad 2 money range, and the only real difference between 2 and 3 is the quality of the screen which you won't really get from the Tab 2 anyway.

I'm having the same issue I can't decide which one to go for, although mine needs it more for some light photo editing and I see the apps been better on the iPad.

Also, they are ready for a hefty bill for the 3g access?

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure the Galaxy Tab 2 falls into the Ipad 2 money range, and the only real difference between 2 and 3 is the quality of the screen which you won't really get from the Tab 2 anyway.

I'm having the same issue I can't decide which one to go for, although mine needs it more for some light photo editing and I see the apps been better on the iPad.

Also, they are ready for a hefty bill for the 3g access?

But does the ipad 2 offer the ability to transfer pictures to it from usb etc.

Also they are getting a NZ 3G simcard to use.

Caporegime
Yes you can get a camera adaptor or SD card adaptor so you can import from a camera over a USB cable or pop the card out.

Soldato
OP
Any one who is not bothered by loads of apps cant beat a play book, downside is screen size but can make fonts bigger

My parents really could do with something bigger than the playbook unfortunately.

Just looking at prices and the ipad 2 with 3G is a whopping £430. So I think that is certainly out.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, yes it looks like the same as the Tab 2 but the Note is by far better hardware and features, The screen resolution is not much but to be honest it is very good and crisp. I've got an iPad 2 that I use for work I got to say it is nothing compared to the Note 10.1 for similar price. If you look around the Note can be had for about £350

Caporegime
Isn't the Note 10.1 built out of the crappest flimsiest plastic Samsung could find? I'm assuming if the OPs parents are travelling with it they will want something that doesn't feel like it came out of Poundland.

Soldato
Possibly worth waiting till the google event next week, strong rumours suggest a Samsung made Nexus 10" tablet will be unveiled there. It may just meet all your needs. :)

Soldato
You can get a Motorola Xoom 2 16GB 3g for £299. That would fit the bill quite nicely I would have thought? A certain phone shop sells them.

You can also get the original Xoom 3g with 32GB on OcUK for the same price, it can directly take micro SD cards which (assuming you use a micro SD in the camera) would make transferring photos a doddle.

Edit - Oh I didn't spot that they aren't going until next year, definitely wait a few weeks to see what the Nexus range has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom